First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sucked up acetone that was in catch can, misfired at startup while lean and then head gasket leak. Leaks a little bit onto cyl 3 and 4, you can see it on the piston. Dealer says nothing wrong with the car (they're idiots) so I'm just replacing head gasket with my mechanic on the weekend. Even though it blew I'm strongly considering OEM gasket; It was my fault. Is this the gasket you recommend or can I find it for cheaper? TIA.
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genui...Filter=(bt=4,11;et=2,8)&Location=pd:3470195,1

https://www.maperformance.com/produ...asket-kit-2016-honda-civic-1-5t-06110-5aa-a00

Any advice for the project? I watched emans vid. No big deal right?
Sponsored

OP
OP
bbeem

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So why was there acetone in your catchcan? And why was it so full
Was about 1tbsp or .5 oz when I cleaned it out. Didn't think so little would lean and misfire when starting. What about head studs for this motor?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Brake cleaner will have acetone right but never heard that it can damage the head gasket

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Brake cleaner will have acetone right but never heard that it can damage the head gasket
You normally aren't sucking in a considerable amount via the intake manifold. That stuff is volatile and I'm not surprised it caused preignition.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
You normally aren't sucking in a considerable amount via the intake manifold. That stuff is volatile and I'm not surprised it caused preignition.
yes, exactly I don't know how it happened for him. May be it's some other thing but he is blaming acetone?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I thought Catch-cans "caught" oil, water and other stuff that would get in there and not let it get into the engine. It seems if acetone you used to clean it out with got into the intake, than it is not doing it's job

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought Catch-cans "caught" oil, water and other stuff that would get in there and not let it get into the engine. It seems if acetone you used to clean it out with got into the intake, than it is not doing it's job
my thoughts exactly. And now I'm paranoid as fuck and am just going to use water to clean mine out and let it dry 100% lol

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Why clean it at all? Its meant to catch oil and get coated with oil. Just pour out oil it catched then put back in car
Fr lol it's gonna get dirty again

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This story doesn't make sense at all. I've never heard such nonsense. Maybe try sand blasting the carbon build-up by pouring sand into your intake. That should fix it.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why clean it at all? Its meant to catch oil and get coated with oil. Just pour out oil it catched then put back in car
Exactly. It's meant to catch oil, and having it clean means having less gunk/dirt being thrown into the manifold again? What's the point of having a catch can if you're not going to regularly clean properly when it's accumulated enough oil?

I mean sure you could just dump out the oil and just put it back on but typically I just remove it, dump oil out, and get a shop rag and clean/dry the inside before I reinsert.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Just look at the guy’s profile pic. Says a lot
That is an excellent observation. Unless his speedometer is set to kilometers, I think we found the problem, although even if it is showing kilometers, we still have a problem...