Blow off valve?

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Civic have one? I tried looking for one from the bay and didn't see anything that would resemble one. I figure it would be a recirculating bov but I don't see any bigger hoses going into the Intake charge piping either.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It likely runs a BPV. I'm willing to bet it's under the windshield right before the TB/IM.

I think you're aware that VTA is bad news on modern ECUs without a proper tune...

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Does the Civic have one? I tried looking for one from the bay and didn't see anything that would resemble one. I figure it would be a recirculating bov but I don't see any bigger hoses going into the Intake charge piping either.
It likely runs a BPV. I'm willing to bet it's under the windshield right before the TB/IM.

I think you're aware that VTA is bad news on modern ECUs without a proper tune...
+1 on the Bypass Valve (BPV) instead of Blow Off Valve. There's also a lack of any atmospheric blow off sound in these cars from everything I've heard.

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on the Bypass Valve (BPV) instead of Blow Off Valve. There's also a lack of any atmospheric blow off sound in these cars from everything I've heard.
I'd love to try and change it out and try to see what I can do to compensate for the air that would be recirculated whether it be tuning or another option.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
I'd love to try and change it out and try to see what I can do to compensate for the air that would be recirculated whether it be tuning or another option.
You mean switch from BPV to BOV? Might throw a CEL or not run well since ECU won't provide the right amount of fuel without a tune to compensate for the altered air flow volume.

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
You mean switch from BPV to BOV? Might throw a CEL or not run well since ECU won't provide the right amount of fuel without a tune to compensate for the altered air flow volume.
Well from what I know about BPV's, they can be atmospheric as well. The bpv for the supercharger kits can be changed to VTA so I'd imagine the oem BPV could be too? I'm just not sure about how to compensate for the extra air that would have gone back into the charge piping and how the spool would be on the turbo. May be too early for the tuning on this car as well but I hope the bigger guys in the industry test the car out and provides info.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Not trying to mean but it definitely sounds like you have you priorities backwards. You want to fickle with unmetered air on a motor pushing 2000 PSI in fuel and 16-17 PSI in boost? Surge issues aside, I imagine you could tax the HPFP from running too rich. Direct Injection is far more unforgiving than multi-port.

Not a Honda but many of the issues are shared:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetr...et-bovs-cause-problems-quick-explination.html

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I will add that I'm all for tweaking things around when done responsibly. Do you have plans to monitor KR, AFR, STFT, LTFT, MAF and MAP?

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Sounds like your waiting for more data. :cool:

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to mean but it definitely sounds like you have you priorities backwards. You want to fickle with unmetered air on a motor pushing 2000 PSI in fuel and 16-17 PSI in boost? Surge issues aside, I imagine you could tax the HPFP from running too rich. Direct Injection is far more unforgiving than multi-port.

Not a Honda but many of the issues are shared:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetr...et-bovs-cause-problems-quick-explination.html
may be but there are many direct injected cars such as my FRS that gets boost added to it and with a little tuning or even a OFT..can run perfectly fine. Wouldn't the civic be sort of the same thing? (trying to learn and figure out the civic and how it compares to other factory boosted cars)

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
I will add that I'm all for tweaking things around when done responsibly. Do you have plans to monitor KR, AFR, STFT, LTFT, MAF and MAP?

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Sounds like your waiting for more data. :cool:
for sure waiting for tests or until someone shows me it can be done. I've been in the modding game too long to just mess around haha

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
No worries... I think the problem is that this is a brand new ECU/logic that Honda is bringing to the table. I wouldn't be surprised if a reputable solution wasn't available for at least 6 months to a year. Though they could surprise us... :cool:

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
LOL. If a car starts making that hissing noise, most people want to get rid of it. Who would have thought 15+ years ago that some people would actually want their car making that hissing noise. Thanks a lot for that, Fast n Furious (and for other goofy fads you started). :doh:

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/sstp-1211-blow-off-valves-explained/
The underlying objective of a blow-off valve (BOV) is to protect the turbo against damage while ensuring smooth and reliable drivability. It just so happens it makes a loud sound that gets everyone’s attention! But the noise it makes shouldn’t be what you’re most concerned about; you have to make sure you have the right valve for your ride that’ll keep your turbo happy and healthy.

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
I know the function of a byv and bov. There are advantages to both just like how there are advantages or internal and external wastegates. From my research there may be a solution. Fast and furious didn't have anything to do with these 1000hp Gtr's and Supras having a nice sounding/performing bov..

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I know the function of a byv and bov. There are advantages to both just like how there are advantages or internal and external wastegates. From my research there may be a solution. Fast and furious didn't have anything to do with these 1000hp Gtr's and Supras having a nice sounding/performing bov..
Correct but it had something to do with people wanting them purely for the sound. The 1000hp Gtr's and Supras have them because they have to.
Sponsored