First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All of this is making me lean in the direction of snagging a Si/CRV L15B7 spare if they get one down at a junkyard in Jacksonville FL to keep one on hand. I just put a big shed behind my house last year and, having had parts cars before for my old junky Z's... I like having spare stuff lying around. I'm 3 classes from my degree and, once done, will have a year left on shore duty with not a whole lot to do. I asked my old lady to let me flip mechanic specials and she begrudgingly agreed if it'll make me happy, but I know I'll make next to nothing doing it. I'd love to get a motor and build it up. The motor in my Z is just a PITA to work on and I'd be fearless working on a spare motor. Other than swapping heads and tinkering, I've never dug deeper and would love to give it a whirl. The best would be to get another wrecked car and do a part out. I made a little money on the side before eBay was a thing with parting out my parts car.

The 2 step and anti-lag stuff doesn't have me overly concerned because, well... I haven't used them yet and probably never will. The idea of possibly unmolested cars, tuned or not, dying does make me take notice. They're possibly doing the same or even less than what I'm doing. I know TSP is probably pretty hot for a reflash... always run 93 and would be very concerned if anything about the car ran funny... because I'm sure Derek took a lot of the margin out of the car to let me enjoy my $23k car with 1/4 again the horsepower. I think it was a bargain between the car and the power level it presently has. If it was to go with my spirited but not abusive driving style... well... shit. It'd be my fault and I'd be my mess to dig myself out of. The smart money would have been to get a ~10k used WRX/GTI that the junkyard were filled with spares and it's history was known and go to town on it... but I chose the new car with all the modern comforts with the tiny engine that had little history as it is today. I do feel like that's a dice roll.

The older I get... the more it feels like I have more to lose in this life and I'll have less coming my way. What's important has changed a great deal. My car breaking would have been disasterous in my teens. Now? Just a blip on the radar.

OP
OP

mash

First Name
Mash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Update: just got a junked engine. I will have someone swap it and tear apart the old engine. Should i consider upgrading the clutch along with this?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: just got a junked engine. I will have someone swap it and tear apart the old engine. Should i consider upgrading the clutch along with this?
Absolutely. A clutch install on it's own will cost you around $600, this is a prime time to get it done at no additional cost.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep... when they have the subframe apart and the engine and transmission disconnected, labor-wise... they're at the same point where they'd be installing the new clutch. Might as well get a bit of lemonade from the lemons.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
It’s your money, mate. I wonder if the engine will indeed spin a lot better with a light flywheel and if you want to tune your car then a beefier clutch will hold it.

I’m surprised nobody has really mentioned solving the misshifts. I mis-shifted four days ago when instead of upshifting at 65 mph or so, I went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th. I have owned Honda, VW and Mazda manuals before and have never missed shifts like this ever. This is my 2nd bad one. This time I stepped on the clutch quickly. The previous one was worse. I was going 70 and the whole car was thrown forward by the downshift.

So, what do people say about the vague shifter in lower Civics? Mine is HB Sport. The SI shifter felt better to me. I want to try some Acuity products. If it keeps me from blowing my engine, it is worth the money right?

Also, is anyone using 5w30 oil? I think a slightly heavier oil protects better especially given fuel in the oil.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also, is anyone using 5w30 oil? I think a slightly heavier oil protects better especially given fuel in the oil.
Yeah... there's a whole thread devoted to either 5 or 0w-30 on here. Some folks use it and nothing else.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm using 5w-30 but I beat on mine pretty good and my tuner and a very smart mechanic recommended it. Im not going to sit here and tell anyone its better or they are dumb for not. But thats what I do

OP
OP

mash

First Name
Mash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Update: Stripped the bolt on the downpipe even when putting PB blaster on it for a day.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: Stripped the bolt on the downpipe even when putting PB blaster on it for a day.
If it makes you feel better (I doubt it will) you're in good company. Lots of folks have stripped/broken them. There's about 1 hundred billion YouTube videos on how to attack the problem. Whether you apply some heat... snag a damaged head with a pair of vice grips or hammer on a bolt extractor socket... if the head is gone totally, you can weld a nut on if you have a welder. If you don't and there's enough length, you can thread on 2 nuts and try to loosen the bottom one with a wrench while holding the top in place with a socket... playing the jam nut game. Reverse threaded screw extractors are good too if it's not overly tight. Good luck.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I broke my turbo exhaust stud 3 times before it was flush with the housing... that shit isn't coming out. I ended up drilling it out and retapping it

OP
OP

mash

First Name
Mash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Idk if my turbo is also bad but is the small wheel in the dp side suppose to move sideways.

OP
OP

mash

First Name
Mash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Update: found oil sucked up through the whole car. Found it in the cooler.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: found oil sucked up through the whole car. Found it in the cooler.
did the oil seals fail on the turbo. or it might be leakinf from the shaft since you said you hace some play in the impaler .thats what im guessing since you said you found oil in the intercooler.
Sponsored