NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently blew my si in very cold weather.
Well did it at least buy you dinner first?

what can I do to prevent this from happening again? 10k miles and im running ktuner with tsp stage 1.
I mean, details help. Probably start there?

I don’t know much about cars but i have some knowledge. I also had 1 miss shift a week before it blew.
Well, that may have contributed, but who knows? Some key points;
  • Let the engine warm up completely before getting on it.
  • Don't 2-Step on a cold motor.
  • Learn more about your vehicle and don't be a ricer.
It looks like you got on it while the engine was still cold. It's very possible that with the 2 step you floated or bent a valve which could have dropped metal down into the cylinder with low compression. That would damage the piston/cylinder wall and give you oil blow by.
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Sorry OP, I blew my motor 2 weeks ago too. 18k miles on the SI motor, drove to the gas station. filled up, approached the on-ramp (rush hour traffic) 2nd gear to 3rd gear (low/normal rpms) at 20-25mph and slung a rod through the block. Found a used 11K miles SI Motor last week, my mechanic will update me once he drops the motor etc.

Oil changed every 5k
Drop-in Dry air filter + hardrace RMM
TSP 1
Sorry to here this buddy my condolences

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry OP, I blew my motor 2 weeks ago too. 18k miles on the SI motor, drove to the gas station. filled up, approached the on-ramp (rush hour traffic) 2nd gear to 3rd gear (low/normal rpms) at 20-25mph and slung a rod through the block. Found a used 11K miles SI Motor last week, my mechanic will update me once he drops the motor etc.

Oil changed every 5k
93 Octane gas with every fill-up
Drop-in Dry air filter + Hardrace RMM
TSP 1 .49-.59 k.control
Mostly highway miles
I have to ask. We're starting to see a few of these catastrophic things with the TSP Stage 1 tune. From what you say you were just driving in an ordinary way at low speed. Should Si owners be concerned about this tune?

HotPaperPlate

First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have to ask. We're starting to see a few of these catastrophic things with the TSP Stage 1 tune. From what you say you were just driving in an ordinary way at low speed. Should Si owners be concerned about this tune?
Yes, I have a dash cam. which shows the time frame it happened. At the moment, we don't know what is going on. I am not here to point fingers at anyone. More of sharing my current situation with my car.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
What people don't get that when you blow a motor from a broken rod, bad bearings, blown turbo or whatever. It's not what you did when it blew that did it. It was all the things you did that lead up to it blowing. If a person has a broke rod, It probably was knocking for a little bit before letting go.

HotPaperPlate

First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What people don't get that when you blow a motor from a broke rod or bad bearings. It's not what you did when it blew that did it. It was all the things you did that lead up to it blowing. If a person has a broke rod, It probably was knocking for a little bit before letting go.
Correct, if knock was present I would have caught it. This is not my first rodeo..

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Correct, if knock was present I would have caught it. This is not my first rodeo..
Keep us informed to your findings Im curious. No knock control movement previously that you noticed? Sounds like you were even monitoring/logging things as you should....

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Didn't you modify your exhaust?
Rod knock isn't always loud and can only happen at certain rpm. Knock control should pick up the extra vibration from it

HotPaperPlate

First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep us informed to your findings Im curious. No knock control movement previously that you noticed? Sounds like you were even monitoring/logging things as you should....
I will, hopefully we find something. Yes, I have a v2 and monitor most if not all of the important parameters. There have been a few times that the k.control was up in the .60-.70s but nothing crazy.

Didn't you modify your exhaust?
Rod knock isn't always loud and can only happen at certain rpm. Knock control should pick up the extra vibration from it
Yes, I took out the mid resonator and nothing was changed in the k.control via the V2

Sidenote: I hardly do short drives, but when the block blew... there was a strong fuel/gas smell.

Again, Not pointing fingers to anyone.

Last edited:

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I will, hopefully we find something. Yes, I have a v2 and monitor most if not all of the important parameters. There have been a few times that the k.control was up in the .60-.70s but nothing crazy.

Yes, I took out the mid resonator and nothing was changed in the k.control via the V2

Sidenote: I hardly do short drives, but when the block blew... there was a strong fuel/gas smell.

Again, Not pointing fingers to anyone.
This all begs the question. Would you install tsp stage 1 tune again after your experiences? Can you honestly say that none of your driving habbits could have contributed to your car commiting suicide? There are no judgments here. I'm running this tune also and I tend to get on it when I can. I don't do any tracking though.

HotPaperPlate

First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This all begs the question. Would you install tsp stage 1 tune again after your experiences? Can you honestly say that none of your driving habbits could have contributed to your car commiting suicide? There are no judgments here. I'm running this tune also and I tend to get on it when I can. I don't do any tracking though.
I was thinking of TSP 2, flex fuel + catted DP + Spec 2+ Steel flywheel in the near future.. but I would like to have a local tuner do fine adjustments. Yes, just like anyone would... We like to have fun when permitted. I get on it as well, never launch or bounce off the rev limiter.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lmao, pretty much anytime someone posts about a tune or a blown motor you wonder if people should be concerned and I cant help but laugh. Like there are so many other things that are going to be the cause before a base map or TSP tune is the outright cause. We have no idea how these people beat on the car or how much 2 stepping or anti lagging they do. Of course they dont want to admit it either. They always say, "I babied the car" until a friend rats them out or they finally admit what they did after they get it fixed.
I was thinking of TSP 2, flex fuel + catted DP + Spec 2+ Steel flywheel in the near future.. but I would like to have a local tuner do fine adjustments. Yes, just like anyone would... We like to have fun when permitted. I get on it as well, never launch or bounce off the rev limiter.
Your local tuner wont be able to fine tune a TSP tune, its locked down except for "disables"

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
lmao, pretty much anytime someone posts about a tune or a blown motor you wonder if people should be concerned and I cant help but laugh. Like there are so many other things that are going to be the cause before a base map or TSP tune is the outright cause.
I'll be the first to admit, I worry when I see these posts. That doesn't mean I don't understand that often it wasn't the tune, it was abuse or something else. Still though, I'm not going to blindly assume it's never the tune. Like I say, there is risk in tuning, to some extent no matter how small. But I have faith that KTuner and Hondata erred on the side of caution with their base tunes. In this case, I simply posed the question if anyone was concerned who had the TSP tune. I'm sure it's a phenomenol tune, I simply asked.

I don't really get the "lmao" comment. Your perogative to feel that way though.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll be the first to admit, I worry when I see these posts. That doesn't mean I don't understand that often it wasn't the tune, it was abuse or something else. Still though, I'm not going to blindly assume it's never the tune. Like I say, there is risk in tuning, to some extent no matter how small. But I have faith that KTuner and Hondata erred on the side of caution with their base tunes. In this case, I simply posed the question if anyone was concerned who had the TSP tune. I'm sure it's a phenomenol tune, I simply asked.

I don't really get the "lmao" comment. Your perogative to feel that way though.
you're a worry wart is why i laughed is all. No hard feelings buddy :)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No never made a post but engine was fine think I hit the clutch fast enough.
For every engine that dies from an overrev, I bet there's a hundred or more that shrug it off and keep going w/o any issue. The RSX forums had some pretty epic overrev given their already-high redlines. Most were always fine. Over 10,000 RPM was pretty standard... but reflashes brought the rev limiter to 8600 so... yeah...
Sponsored