mash

First Name
Mash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I recently blew my si in very cold weather. what can I do to prevent this from happening again? 10k miles and im running ktuner with tsp stage 1.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
broken rod?
Did you get on it at low rpm a lot? 2 step?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Blew the turbo? Sorry but your post is kind of vague. If you get a chance, please post up some details. Thanks.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Sucks to hear that happened but a more detail would have been nice. Nobody on this forum can really give good advice without even knowing how the car "blew". Did you break a rod? 2Step? Is the car repairable? Do you need a new engine? etc.

OP
OP

mash

First Name
Mash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Sucks to hear that happened but a more detail would have been nice. Nobody on this forum can really give good advice without even knowing how the car "blew". Did you break a rod? 2Step? Is the car repairable? Do you need a new engine? etc.
I didn’t break a rod, I did use two step, It is repairable from what i was told. I got a option to rebuild or replace the engine. The engine has low compression and the car also will not go into boost. I was told something about a valve being burnt. There is also blow by oil by the manifold. Smoke and bad smell.

OP
OP

mash

First Name
Mash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I don’t know much about cars but i have some knowledge. I also had 1 miss shift a week before it blew.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t know much about cars but i have some knowledge. I also had 1 miss shift a week before it blew.
Interesting, was it a bad one? (i.e. way past the rev limit). If you know the initial speed/gear you shifted to, we can figure out the approximate RPM. Was there any issues you noted between the misshift and the engine failing?

I appreciate you sharing. An Si engine and with that specific tune and the scenario overall are good data points for those of us to have.

Though the lead up is different and one wasn't an Si, this is the second failure using 2 step I've read about in the last week or so.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/blew-my-engine-on-a-4krpm-2-step-cold-start.33860/page-4

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I didn’t break a rod, I did use two step, It is repairable from what i was told. I got a option to rebuild or replace the engine. The engine has low compression and the car also will not go into boost. I was told something about a valve being burnt. There is also blow by oil by the manifold. Smoke and bad smell.
So im guessing you hit the 2 step in the cold before the car was warmed up. In the future, wait until the car is up to temp before using anything like 2 step and drive the car conservatively until its warmed up. Its like trying to bend spaghetti before you boil it, it will break. I dont know what the cost difference between rebuilding the engine versus installing a new one is but if there is not much difference then get a new engine. I'd rather have a fresh unmolested engine in my car versus one that blew and was rebuilt. From your response it sounds like you have an idea of what's wrong with the engine but not an exact one. I'd ask the dealer for a list on paper on exactly whats wrong with the engine and how much each option would cost before you make a decision.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So im guessing you hit the 2 step in the cold before the car was warmed up.
Ambients were cold in both cases. We know the other motor wasn't warmed up... if this one wasn't warmed up as well, that'd be a lot of proof that 2 step is a killer on a cold engine, Si or EX-T

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
You still have not explained what blew ?

You would seem to know enough about cars to have installed Ktuner... so why can you not be more specific as to what blew.?

So it "Blew" .. what are you going to do.
Dealer, independent shop, fix it yourself ???

Sorry you "Blew" it .. but why even tell us you Blew it, unless you are going to go into some details.

I would be most interested to know "HOW" you really "Blew" a 2018 Si

Ktuner -- so don't even waste your time talking to the Dealer !!!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So im guessing you hit the 2 step in the cold before the car was warmed up. In the future, wait until the car is up to temp before using anything like 2 step and drive the car conservatively until its warmed up. Its like trying to bend spaghetti before you boil it, it will break. I dont know what the cost difference between rebuilding the engine versus installing a new one is but if there is not much difference then get a new engine. I'd rather have a fresh unmolested engine in my car versus one that blew and was rebuilt. From your response it sounds like you have an idea of what's wrong with the engine but not an exact one. I'd ask the dealer for a list on paper on exactly whats wrong with the engine and how much each option would cost before you make a decision.
I don't think the DEALER is going to even Diagnose the problem, let alone give you a breakdown of what is wrong, unless they are reasonably sure you will have them repair it and pay for it.
It's not likely you will get anythiung done under warranty.

The 1st thing they will probably do is give you a Quote to just diagnose the problem !!!

OP
OP

mash

First Name
Mash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Interesting, was it a bad one? (i.e. way past the rev limit). If you know the initial speed/gear you shifted to, we can figure out the approximate RPM. Was there any issues you noted between the misshift and the engine failing?

I appreciate you sharing. An Si engine and with that specific tune and the scenario overall are good data points for those of us to have.

Though the lead up is different and one wasn't an Si, this is the second failure using 2 step I've read about in the last week or so.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/blew-my-engine-on-a-4krpm-2-step-cold-start.33860/page-4
I was merging onto the highway and went from 3rd to 2nd while pulling. Might of been at 50-70 mph not too sure about the speed. I didn’t notice any issues afterwards.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well... 50 to 70 could be anywhere between a bit under redline to nearly 9000 RPM. If you go to the dealer, they'd see if you have an over rev code in your ECU.

There's been a few here and there, as there are with all manual cars. If it survived the event and a valve didn't float and bend as it smacked a piston, it was probably ok and may very well have not contributed to the later failure.

Was your engine warmed up when you did the 2 step when the failure happened?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Ambients were cold in both cases. We know the other motor wasn't warmed up... if this one wasn't warmed up as well, that'd be a lot of proof that 2 step is a killer on a cold engine, Si or EX-T
Yup. Worst thing is that theres no way its covered under warranty so all of these have been huge out of pocket expenses. One thing that was interesting is that the other guy said he only revved it to 4K which isnt low but not insanely high either. I hit 4K when my car's engine relatively cold because I need to merge onto a lot of traffic on the road outside my neighborhood and i need to get up to speed quick.
Sponsored