Blew my engine on a 4krpm 2 step cold start.....

bgutierrezx

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic ext 4dr sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I started my car when it was 20 degrees & I accidentally reved it, & after that I thought well why not try to speed up the warming up & I hit the 2 step for a couple seconds. I know it was stupid. I blew up my engine. Anyways the point of this thread is to see what you guys would recommend for a swap...... it’s going to cost 7k to repair it with oem parts... if I’m going to loose money might as well get something better right ? Idk let me know what you guys think. Also I know getting one from the junk yard is my best bet, any other input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
You only have one option is another 1.5T. You can find them pretty cheap at the junkyard. You could have other options if you run a standalone ecu

Sounds like the damage was done way before you did your 2 step

OP
OP
bgutierrezx

bgutierrezx

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You only have one option is another 1.5T. You can find them pretty cheap at the junkyard. You could have other options if you run a standalone ecu

Sounds like the damage was done way before you did your 2 step
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I just thought I’d ask . & you really think so? Cause it doesn’t really make sense to me.

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would go get another 1.5T from the junk yard, saves you a hassle to do a direct replacement. Unless you are up for an expensive lengthy project, $7k seems quite reasonable for all new OEM parts.

Also, a cold start rev shouldn't "blow up" your engine. Did you have any modifications? What failed internally?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Also, a cold start rev shouldn't "blow up" your engine. Did you have any modifications? What failed internally?
My thought as well. If you were tuned, how many psi were you boosted? I see these "I blew my engine" threads and I get concerned/worried. I think it's important to get as many details as possible to see what really led up to and caused this engine destruction.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
What did you blow up? Did the entire engine explode, or just a few internal parts that broke?

OP
OP
bgutierrezx

bgutierrezx

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My thought as well. If you were tuned, how many psi were you boosted? I see these "I blew my engine" threads and I get concerned/worried. I think it's important to get as many details as possible to see what really led up to and caused this engine destruction.
21psi bass k tuner map, & I have a cat less down pipe. & as for now I just know my oil pan cracked. I dropped all my oil. I’m taking it tomorrow to the shop.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I though the oil pan was aluminum and aluminum doesn't have a NDTT that's at any temperature that can be found on Earth... so I don't think the cold could make it fracture due to brittleness. See what the shop says. So long as you shut off the engine right away you may be of and the damage was limited to some defect in the pan that made it fail.

Not saying it should have happened. There's been some plugs that have come out of cars shortly after oil changes, but I haven't heard of a cracked oil pan yet. Keep your fingers crossed and let us know how it goes. Hopefully it's just a pan and not something that got thrown through it.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I though the oil pan was aluminum and aluminum doesn't have a NDTT that's at any temperature that can be found on Earth... so I don't think the cold could make it fracture due to brittleness. See what the shop says. So long as you shut off the engine right away you may be of and the damage was limited to some defect in the pan that made it fail.

Not saying it should have happened. There's been some plugs that have come out of cars shortly after oil changes, but I haven't heard of a cracked oil pan yet. Keep your fingers crossed and let us know how it goes. Hopefully it's just a pan and not something that got thrown through it.
im going guess his rod broke and shot down to the oil pan

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd see how much a jasper engine or something similar with a 100,000 warranty would cost. I'm sure someone sells rebuilt long blocks though

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
im going guess his rod broke and shot down to the oil pan
Yeah... well... it could be that too but I figured I'd try to stay positive and keep my fingers crossed for the guy before going straight to the...
Honda Civic 10th gen Blew my engine on a 4krpm 2 step cold start..... 8CAK

It'll be interesting to hear about either way. I haven't heard of anything like this. Bent rods and drain plugs falling out, but not one of these.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Since you're on a KTuner base map (like so many others here), I hope you're able to post details here so we can sort out exactly what happened.

OP
OP
bgutierrezx

bgutierrezx

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah... well... it could be that too but I figured I'd try to stay positive and keep my fingers crossed for the guy before going straight to the...
8CAK.gif

It'll be interesting to hear about either way. I haven't heard of anything like this. Bent rods and drain plugs falling out, but not one of these.
That’s exactly what I think happened.
Sponsored