Black window trim on hatchbacks peeling

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Only my driver door has this problem. I noticed it day one. I just sliped it under the weather stripping though
Sponsored

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
I don't get it. Do other manufacturers vinyl-wrap these components as well? Or was it just Honda's way of blacking-out the chrome trim on the cheap? I've never seen such a thing done on any cars I've owned.
Nissan does some of the black parts in between the side windows (that would normally be body color) in vinyl on the Sentras and upper level Versas from what Ive seen.

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
Country flag
Got 3 of 4 trim prices replaced on Tuesday, but the replacement piece for the passenger side was damaged on delivery, and they already removed/damaged the old piece. Then I'm told a replacement will be in by yesterday so I could pop in this morning before work to have them pop on the last trim piece, but when I showed up this morning, I was told the part never came in, and there is no ETA on the part but they set it to a critical priority. SO lovely, I get to drive around with that trim price missing altogether for an unknown amount of time. Since it's a warranty repair, they have to get the parts directly from Honda.

**Update: My last trim piece should be hereo on the 7th, so likely to get installed next week. Yay....

Last edited:

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Of the people that have had their trim replaced, has anyone noticed the vinyl lifting off the trim again? Just saw this on the missing piece I just had replaced. Staring to think of getting the ends window deflectors just to hide the issue .

akie

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic RS Hatch 2015 Jazz RS
Country flag
Of the people that have had their trim replaced, has anyone noticed the vinyl lifting off the trim again? Just saw this on the missing piece I just had replaced. Staring to think of getting the ends window deflectors just to hide the issue .
Yes! We picked our RS trim Sonic Gray a few days ago and noticed the same thing on the rear right door, it appears that thr rubber window seal isn't covering the piano black trim as it's peeling on the edge. Wonder if this can be remedied on warranty.
I don't get it. Do other manufacturers vinyl-wrap these components as well? Or was it just Honda's way of blacking-out the chrome trim on the cheap? I've never seen such a thing done on any cars I've owned.

hafadaze

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R (#1106)
Country flag
Looks like the same thing is happening on the CTRs.

hatch_dawg

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I took my car into Honda and they took pics so they can report to Honda corporate. They said it’s a pretty common issue now and that once they respond which will take 3-5 days then most likely will set up an appointment to replace the trim.

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I took my car into Honda and they took pics so they can report to Honda corporate. They said it’s a pretty common issue now and that once they respond which will take 3-5 days then most likely will set up an appointment to replace the trim.
Unfortunately these trim pieces seem to always be on backorder, at least in Canada.

hatch_dawg

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I am barely going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow after weeks and weeks of phone tag. The dealer already said it was caused due window tint install which is stupid. I guess we will see what they tell me.

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I finally took mine in last week. They got the parts today, and I'm scheduled to take it in tomorrow to get them replaced, along with the rear hatch struts and the drivers front window channel seal.

slo_hatch

slo_hatch
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 6MT Sonic Grey Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow. Some of the excuses your dealers are giving you are hilarious. I feel like they just want something to blame instead of just accepting the issue. It's warranty- not like it affects the dealer. I just dropped mine off and they gave me a loaner without any problem.

MattiasX

First Name
Mattias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X sport+
Country flag
I have also changed my black trim, no problem with the dealer. They ordered new and changed them. Live in Sweden.

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just to update this , I got all 5 pieces of the black stuff replaced...the 4 above the windows and one of the larger pieces behind the rear door on the drivers side.

When I picked it up I noticed one of the pieces had already begun to peel along the edge, and another had some very small dents in it either from shipping or installation. The larger piece behind the door even had a bubble in it. I just decided to live with it and never return to the dealer again lol. Eventually when they peel again Ill just wrap them myself.

slo_hatch

slo_hatch
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 6MT Sonic Grey Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to update this , I got all 5 pieces of the black stuff replaced...the 4 above the windows and one of the larger pieces behind the rear door on the drivers side.

When I picked it up I noticed one of the pieces had already begun to peel along the edge, and another had some very small dents in it either from shipping or installation. The larger piece behind the door even had a bubble in it. I just decided to live with it and never return to the dealer again lol. Eventually when they peel again Ill just wrap them myself.
Well that’s comforting....
Sponsored