Black Vs. other colors

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Black
Is it really that much more difficult to maintain a black car than it would be a dark grey one?
Sponsored

aram000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX=T
Country flag
Yes, you can see almost everything on black; water spots, dirt, imperfections. However, in my experience with grey, these mostly seem to go unnoticed. I've had 2 dark grey cars and a black one and the black is significantly harder to stay clean, especially if the car's not parked indoors.

OP
OP
Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thank you sir, that helps a lot. even though I LOVE having an all black car, it may be smarter just to go with the grey.

OP
OP
Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, you can see almost everything on black; water spots, dirt, imperfections. However, in my experience with grey, these mostly seem to go unnoticed. I've had 2 dark grey cars and a black one and the black is significantly harder to stay clean, especially if the car's not parked indoors.
how about the burgundy? do you think itll be hard as well to hide scratches and dirt?

aram000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX=T
Country flag
how about the burgundy? do you think itll be hard as well to hide scratches and dirt?
Having only seen this color at the dealership, I can't completely confirm anything, but by the looks of it, it seems like it would be much easier to hide dirt and grime than black.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Black is one of the most numbingly difficult colors to maintain. But it's also the most rewarding when it's clean (for all four seconds).

That said, I owned a 2010 EX-L sedan and after one Midwestern winter, the rocker panels were fading gray from the salt/debris kicking up from the road. The paint was very brittle. Not sure I'd ever own another black car as a result- maybe if I lived in a warmer climate or was a bit less OCD.

SethK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I SOO want to like the burgundy... Unfortunately they went the wrong way with the color tone. If it were slightly more redtone than plum/purple, I would have definitely gone with it. Sadly, it's too purple-ish for me. My top choices are Modern Steel Metallic (Gray), Cosmic Blue Metallic (Darl Blue) or as a last option Crystal Black Pearl (Black). I ended up with silver becasue they didn't have my top color choices and silver was my second option at the time.

Having had a black car in the past, I avoid them for several reasons. 1. Hard to keep clean looking 2. Shows swirl marks on clearcoat from washing 3. Shows even minute scratches more 4. WAY too hot in the summer

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a black civic and i kinda regret getting this color.
The dealer washed it a couple times and you can see a lot of swirl marks
And see every scratch. And looks dirty very soon after being washed.

Dave6139

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
I have a black civic and I was afraid of all the dirt and potential scratches and marks the would be easily seen so and I ended up getting some protection coating package called Ceramic Pro that someone recommended and so far its made a huge difference. Its super hydrophobic and slippery that dirt and bugs fly off while I drive (I drive ~100 highway miles a day and used to have my windshield covered with bugs at the end of the day) and it protects against scratching and corrosion and should keep the car looking shiny for years longer. The best part is the cleaning because I don't need to take it to a car wash anymore, I just spray it down with water and anything that was on the car easily comes off and to dry it I bought this mini leaf blower from amazon that the installer recommended, in total it takes under 10 min to wash and dry it. Only down side is a yearly maintenance and that it took 11 days to get it done and had to rent a car.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Come to the dark side Mr. Brown, don't fear the black! This is my first black car and I don't mind when it's dirty, actually it gets dirty minutes after washing it up here in the land of snow, slush, salted and sanded roads. You do have to like washing it and know how to wash it properly. At least, use the two bucket method. I've not been able to hand wash yet as temps have not been warm enough but the local pressure car wash does a good job with no swirl marks or scratches.

alphabetzoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my first black car and I have mixed feelings about it. When it gets dirty, the lower half looks like someone gradient-shaded the car with dirt, and the top seems fine.

My previous car was silver and the dirt didn't stand out as much, but it didn't look half as good when it was clean either (IMHO).

Oh, and also, if you get a black car with black winter rims and you're trying to find your car at night... well just remember where you parked your car.

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
I got the Black, and it is SHARP! It is also most often filthy. It is just getting dirtier now, because I'm worried about going to a crappy place for a hand wash and getting swirl marks.
I would love any direction or hints for the best way to long term maintain this beautiful black beast.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
I got the Black, and it is SHARP! It is also most often filthy. It is just getting dirtier now, because I'm worried about going to a crappy place for a hand wash and getting swirl marks.
I would love any direction or hints for the best way to long term maintain this beautiful black beast.
My personal top tip, that I try to adhere to myself: It's going to get dirty, and no one else will even notice, so don't stress about it.

(I mean, how often do you go about your business and take note of some water spots someone else's black car, and think to yourself, "Sweet mother of god. It rained yesterday, and that guy has not washed his car yet!")

Last edited:

evped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
Country flag
Definitely black, but need to get rid of the awful pinstripe.
Sponsored