Bit of Rust on 2017 Hatch lift

Juandeezle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport and Civic EX
So I lift the hatch and noticed a small yellowish stain on the right side of the bumper right under where the hatch door comes down on. Didn't think much of it, thought it was some road dirt or grime that just happened to lay on the bumper and had dried out from the recent rain. Upon closer examination of the hatch door I noticed that there was a ring of rust right around the small rubber pad that cushions the hatch door when you close it. Took it to the dealer who confirmed it was rust after popping the rubber pad off. I just got the car in late January - three months ago- wow. The guy at the Honda auto body said he would put in the order for it to get fixed at no cost- covered under warranty. He said water must have pooled where the tiny rubber pad goes into and just started to rust. I hope they take care of it and it comes out good. This is the second issue so far- the first was the hatch rear light cover coming off. I love this car. Hope this is an easy fix and never comes back afterwards. I have photos and will post tomorrow. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
If you get it cover under warranty without hassle. I wouldnt worry about it...we bought 2 new honda between 2016 and 2017. both have minor surface rust on the suspension parts. 1 guy on this forum who has 5 2010+ honda also confirmed it.

No need to worry too much.

OP
OP

Juandeezle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport and Civic EX
If you get it cover under warranty without hassle. I wouldnt worry about it...we bought 2 new honda between 2016 and 2017. both have minor surface rust on the suspension parts. 1 guy on this forum who has 5 2010+ honda also confirmed it.

No need to worry too much.

Not too worried. After waiting about a week, Honda corporate approved the repair and Dealer is taking care of it so it's all good. Hope the repair is proper. Rust on suspension parts is not as alarming as rust on the body. But again, Honda is taking care of it. We'll see and will post pics of repair once done.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Luckily there is a nice corrosion warranty, but of course you'd have to look at it to see what all it covers.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
The pretty bad considering the car is a 2017. Suspension components I get but that is bad.

OP
OP

Juandeezle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport and Civic EX
The pretty bad considering the car is a 2017. Suspension components I get but that is bad.
Yah you ain't kidding. My thoughts exactly. Like I said we'll see how it turns out.

OP
OP

Juandeezle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport and Civic EX
Luckily there is a nice corrosion warranty, but of course you'd have to look at it to see what all it covers.
Haven't looked into it and I hope I won't have to after the repair. Worst case scenario if the problem becomes persistent I would imagine they would have to swap out the hatch door. Like I said, hoping for the best and the fix works.

Kinetis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
The question is where it the water coming from? Is there some place higher up that is letting water get in between the painted metal?

OP
OP

Juandeezle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport and Civic EX
The question is where it the water coming from? Is there some place higher up that is letting water get in between the painted metal?
The service advisor at the dealer thinks it may have happened at the factory. Your suggestion makes sense though. Will have them check as well.
Sponsored