5280fk8

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic type r
Country flag
Full race turbo kit . Says it will get me at 400 whp but will I be able to still daily my car . Thoughts ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Bigger turbo for type r ? A761FB61-E8DE-496E-B1FF-8DA5A1853FF0
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Why though? Current turbo doesn’t limit power fueling does. Add an intake, intercooler and tune and have very similar numbers.

OP
OP
5280fk8

5280fk8

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic type r
Country flag
Why though? Current turbo doesn’t limit power fueling does. Add an intake, intercooler and tune and have very similar numbers.
Can the stock turbo handle 400 whp as a daily ? What problems would I run into ?

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your connecting rods breaking and motor being ruined. With 400whp your torque numbers will be too high for the stock bottom end from everything else I’ve seen.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Can the stock turbo handle 400 whp as a daily ? What problems would I run into ?
You can get to 375-385 whp (up from baseline of 305) and daily drive with simple bolt ons and custom tune (see my signature). The main bottlenecks are MAF voltage and fueling. Turbo has more room above 400whp.

Also, The extra 20whp or 5% whp not gonna give you a noticble change in driving experience.

My car is a daily. Runs great.

OP
OP
5280fk8

5280fk8

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic type r
Country flag
You can get to 375-385 whp (up from baseline of 305) and daily drive with simple bolt ons and custom tune (see my signature). The main bottlenecks are MAF voltage and fueling. Turbo has more room above 400whp.

Also, The extra 20whp or 5% whp not gonna give you a noticble change in driving experience.

My car is a daily. Runs great.

Thanks brotha !!! This helped a lot . Appreciate it . Would you suggest hondata ?

Mauricio_k20

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type - R
Country flag
Thanks brotha !!! This helped a lot . Appreciate it . Would you suggest hondata ?
My personal experience with HONDATA has been nothing but the best. Had it on my fully built FA5 and now on my FK8 and love it. The brand has more history and experience than many other competitors.
With my current mods:
-Ktuned front pipe
-Ktuned down pipe
-Injen turboback exhaust
-Mishimoto intercooler kit
-Hondata Flashpro
I was able to notice a huge difference with the preloaded maps
looking to save up a bit more to get a full custom tune

OP
OP
5280fk8

5280fk8

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic type r
Country flag
My personal experience with HONDATA has been nothing but the best. Had it on my fully built FA5 and now on my FK8 and love it. The brand has more history and experience than many other competitors.
With my current mods:
-Ktuned front pipe
-Ktuned down pipe
-Injen turboback exhaust
-Hondata Flashpro

Thanks for the information bro ! So did you tune yourself or did you have a shop run the maps for you ? I have never had hondata but I’m hearing nothing but great things about it , I just wanna make sure that if I’m voiding my warranty by buying hondata or a bigger turbo kit I wanna make sure that I’m still in a safe range of daily driving my car . Around 400 whp is the goal for me .

Mauricio_k20

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type - R
Country flag
Thanks for the information bro ! So did you tune yourself or did you have a shop run the maps for you ? I have never had hondata but I’m hearing nothing but great things about it , I just wanna make sure that if I’m voiding my warranty by buying hondata or a bigger turbo kit I wanna make sure that I’m still in a safe range of daily driving my car . Around 400 whp is the goal for me .
I had my Shop upload the map since theyre an Official Hondata Dealer, but you can essentially upload yourself.
But all the mods DEFINITELY void warranty but I daily my car about 25 miles a day and doesnt take away from drive ability.
But like everyone has said 400hp isn't easily doable, might as well get to about the 370 - 380ish mark and play it safe.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your connecting rods breaking and motor being ruined. With 400whp your torque numbers will be too high for the stock bottom end from everything else I’ve seen.
Have any data regarding the Full Race kit to support this statement? 400whp on an aftermarket turbo may very well be more safe on the stock bottom end than doing anything similar with the stock turbo.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Have any data regarding the Full Race kit to support this statement? 400whp on an aftermarket turbo may very well be more safe on the stock bottom end than doing anything similar with the stock turbo.
it's probably is safer on the full race kit due to moving the torque curve to the right.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it's probably is safer on the full race kit due to moving the torque curve to the right.
That is done via tuning. Unless this turbo is larger and laggyier making tq later which will make the car slower.

It’s a known fact these cannot support the fuel needed past around 400whp so why buy a kit that isn’t needed. It’s a waste of money is what I’m saying. If the stock turbo can max out the fueling why upgrade?

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
With my current mods:
-Ktuned front pipe
-Ktuned down pipe
-Injen turboback exhaust
-Hondata Flashpro
I've used Hondata on my previous 2018 SI and it was fine regarding the basemaps, etc.

When I got my Type R, I went with KTuner v1.2 because at the time I made my purchase, I wanted to have a wireless OBD II module (vs. the plug in for Hondata), and I wanted to be able to stream to my headunit (I have a 2018 Type R and I couldn't get Hondata to work on my 2018 SI head unit). I also liked that at the time Ktuner had multiple power options by drive mode (not sure if Hondata also does this today).There was also a KTuner unlocker within a 2 hour drive of me (versus having to ship out to Hondata). Also the KTuner TunerView app for the head unit is WAYYY better than Hondata. No question about it.

Also @KTuner customer support is top notch. James responds very quickly to any questions I have. Also the best tuner for the 10th gen civics (shout to @D-RobIMW) helped develop the KTuner basemaps and is not far from where I live so it was a no brainer.

If you're going to get a custom tune, find the most reputable tuner near you and see what he/she prefers. Go with that.

Last edited:

spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
That is done via tuning. Unless this turbo is larger and laggyier making tq later which will make the car slower.

It’s a known fact these cannot support the fuel needed past around 400whp so why buy a kit that isn’t needed. It’s a waste of money is what I’m saying. If the stock turbo can max out the fueling why upgrade?
That's a little harsh lol haha. But yeah once fueling options get figured out, we will start seeing people reach the limits of the turbo. From there you can decide what turbo kit you want to buy if you even need power beyond that .

Even in the future I don't see the need for an upgraded turbo unless you're looking to hit 450+and beyond
Sponsored