Big(fat) Guy in a Type R?

AutoFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Q50 RedSport 400 AWD
Any heavier guys here? I'm 5'8 and about 330. I'm wondering if any similarly size guys here have an R and if so how comfortable are they in them?
Sponsored

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I think you'd have trouble sitting comfortably in the front seats. I'm 5'11" and about 205, and the seats are awesome. They are heavily bolstered but provide excellent support. A friend of mine who's about my height and probably 240 sat in the front passenger seat for a short ride. Said he loves the car but wouldn't buy it because the seats were too narrow for him.

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
As a fellow girthy individual i would say it may be too small for you sir. I'm 6'2 and 260 lbs - i have broad shoulders and big hips legs - i barely fit. I still find the seats comfy but my wifes friend - she sat in the passenger seat for about 5 secs and hated it. She is about 5'6 and 200 lbs (if i had to guess). Go to a dealership and try them out first ? I will say out of the focus rs recaro seats and the gt350 recaro seats the type r has much more comfy and support seats. It still has no damn lumbar support though. I'm getting old (back issues). If you have any back issues at all - i would strongly recommend sitting in this car for at least 5-10 min before you purchase.

My corvette seats (z51 package) are amazing and much more comfortable for me - being a bigger guy.

Good luck !

spyder93090

I'm here to kick names and take ass.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Type R #20034
Country flag
Drove my coworker home the other day and she's 5'5" >220 lbs. and she didn't find it too comfortable and my bolsters might have looked a bit scrunched afterwards.

With that said, don't let a single seat stop you from getting the car you want.

Probably not my place but there is the more cumbersome option to make some lifestyle changes for 2019 instead. Good luck either way!

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
I think you’ll be uncomfortable sitting in these seats. I’m 5’7” 160lbs and I find the seats fit me snug.

OP
OP

AutoFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Q50 RedSport 400 AWD
As a fellow girthy individual i would say it may be too small for you sir. I'm 6'2 and 260 lbs - i have broad shoulders and big hips legs - i barely fit. I still find the seats comfy but my wifes friend - she sat in the passenger seat for about 5 secs and hated it. She is about 5'6 and 200 lbs (if i had to guess). Go to a dealership and try them out first ? I will say out of the focus rs recaro seats and the gt350 recaro seats the type r has much more comfy and support seats. It still has no damn lumbar support though. I'm getting old (back issues). If you have any back issues at all - i would strongly recommend sitting in this car for at least 5-10 min before you purchase.

My corvette seats (z51 package) are amazing and much more comfortable for me - being a bigger guy.

Good luck !
Thanks for pointing out the lack of Lumbar support. I do have a bulging disk that acts up from time to time. The weight I've been working on loosing, but my back will never really be in the same shape again. Sounds like I'll have to rule out an R then. :-(

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Thanks for pointing out the lack of Lumbar support. I do have a bulging disk that acts up from time to time. The weight I've been working on loosing, but my back will never really be in the same shape again. Sounds like I'll have to rule out an R then. :-(
I would go sit in one just to make sure but it may not be the car for you. I hate to say it but my friends bmw m2 (if you need 4 doors) had some of the comfiest "sporty" seats i've sat in recently. It also is an amazing car ! More expensive for sure though - and bmw - brings all kinds of issues - unreliable, resale value drops. Maybe look at a lease (if they offer one on the m series that is)?

My back also has a buldging disk - pinched sciatic nerve that is no fun to deal with. I have had my l3 and l4 fused back in my early 30's. Genetics are PITA ! haha. I still bought the type r - drove it back from phily to denver without much issue. So there is that. The seats really do hold you in place and support your legs, bolster you very well !

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Maybe let Type R be the last piece to the motivating factor that would start you off on the path to a healthier lifestyle? What I'm saying is shoot first, then explain later :D

2018ChampwhiteCTR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic type r; 2014 Honda Pilot; 2001 Honda prelude
Country flag
5’10 - 275. Fits like a glove!

But at times it gets a bit snug...like after a big meal. Haha.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
5’11 125 lbs- very comfortable but I think I have a bit more extra room than I should lol.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
6'3" 475 lbs. I just sat on the bolsters long enough until that flattened out into little wings. Now the seat sits just right.
475Lbs? Are you for real?

Ctrnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai veracruz, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I am also on the girthy side 6'0" and 270 and the car for me is very comfortable. Getting in and out sometimes is a pain. But I am going to be working on a loosing some of this extra ^^
Sponsored