Best way to tint/smoke the clear reverse lights?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Super simple question: has anyone tinted their clear backup lights? If so, what did you use?
Sponsored

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
I bought a precut one from ebay for $10 and put it on this week. Took me 15 minutes to install it. Looks awesome. No more egg yolk look.

TheFox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatch - SGP
Country flag
OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did the Premium Auto Styling precut smoked tint referenced in the video brackin.fk8 posted. Turned out great for me. Easy install using wet application and a little heat gun to remove any micro bubbles.

https://www.premiumautostyling.com/...ert-overlays-2016-2019-honda-civic-hatchback/

BEFORE:
image1.jpeg

AFTER:
image2.jpeg
I just installed these myself a few minutes ago. I followed the instructions and sprayed it down heavily with water. Unfortunately, the one of the right experienced significant bubbling. I managed to get most of it out (first with a felt squeegee, then a hard card), but I have some bunching of the vinyl in a few spots that it pretty noticeable. I might just go to a shop and get this done professionally.

TheFox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatch - SGP
Country flag
I just installed these myself a few minutes ago. I followed the instructions and sprayed it down heavily with water. Unfortunately, the one of the right experienced significant bubbling. I managed to get most of it out (first with a felt squeegee, then a hard card), but I have some bunching of the vinyl in a few spots that it pretty noticeable. I might just go to a shop and get this done professionally.
Understandable. Even though that reverse light section is pretty simple in comparison to the rest of the housing, it's still quite the odd shape. I prefer working with Lamin-X film, seems to have better pliability without heat, but they did not have a pre-cut option for this. If you try to do this again, some light heat from a heat gun, or gentle+distant warmth with a torch really tightens things up nicely. I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone who wants a perfect finish to attempt this using Premium's product without heat involved. I also found the finish of Premium's smoked tint to be a little more on the satin side, as opposed to glossy- not what I expected.

TheFox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatch - SGP
Country flag
Understandable. Even though that reverse light section is pretty simple in comparison to the rest of the housing, it's still quite the odd shape. I prefer working with Lamin-X film, seems to have better pliability without heat, but they did not have a pre-cut option for this. If you try to do this again, some light heat from a heat gun, or gentle+distant warmth with a torch really tightens things up nicely. I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone who wants a perfect finish to attempt this using Premium's product without heat involved. I also found the finish of Premium's smoked tint to be a little more on the satin side, as opposed to glossy- not what I expected.
Convenient! - Just today, Lamin-X added reverse light covers for the Hatch to their website. I've ordered them after noticing how hazy/matte the Premium Auto Styling film was in my work parking ramp as I locked my car. I'll post what they look like as soon as I get them installed. From my past experience, I'm sure these are much more premium product that has a better finish.

https://www.lamin-x.com/precut-film-covers/honda-civic-hatchback-16-reverse-light-covers.html

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Convenient! - Just today, Lamin-X added reverse light covers for the Hatch to their website. I've ordered them after noticing how hazy/matte the Premium Auto Styling film was in my work parking ramp as I locked my car. I'll post what they look like as soon as I get them installed. From my past experience, I'm sure these are much more premium product that has a better finish.

https://www.lamin-x.com/precut-film-covers/honda-civic-hatchback-16-reverse-light-covers.html
That's great news. I had ordered the darker tint from Premium Auto Styling, but in practice, they look way lighter than they do in the ad. Hopefully I can get darker ones from Lamin-X (I'm ordering the Type R LED's to punch through the tint).

deep-typer

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag

How did the lamin-x install end up for you? From the pictures, it seems like it doesn't have a cut for the raised section in the light. Premiumautostyling has that cut. I am trying to decide between the two.
Sponsored