Best oil?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Currently running the oil pictured with an M1 filter. Could you recommend a better oil in this price range or is this good enough? Trying to keep this car as long as possible and I tend to change the oil when the MM asks. Only on my first change at the moment but the 2nd one should be due in a few weeks at most. Thanks

Honda Civic 10th gen Best oil? 20180916_150453 (1)
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
mmm another oil thread.. where is my popcorn! :rofl:

There are about a million oil threads on here.. and as I like to repeat, "opinions are like belly buttons (or elbows, or assholes)... every one has one"

I only use "brand x and change every y miles" ends up being the major sentiment.

Find a brand you like. Change it when you like. Any major brand of oil in the weight specified by your owners manual should be fine.

Here is THE OIL THREAD: https://www.civicx.com/threads/the-oil-thread.684/

Last edited:
OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're splitting hairs when talking stock motors and the standard oil change interval. Find what you like at the price you want. Just ensure it has the API seal.
Thanks

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
RebelX, what coincidence, for the first few changes I too ran Castrol Edge 0W20 with a Mobil1 Extended performance (or whatever it's called the part number is M110) and things went just fine, I imagine just as well had I chosen Quaker State Ultra Durability instead and an OEM Honda filter.

A 5L jug of oil from any of the well known brands is about $42 CAD here in Canada. One of the chain auto stores like Canadian Tire or Walmart even, at any time, has one of the brand name's 5L jug of 0W20 on for half price. I just get that and don't think much more.

The M1 filter is usually on sale here in Canada and I get that too.

If you're OCD about this you could also go to the Honda parts dept. at your dealer and get the OEM stuff yourself.

Look at the oil analysis database thread maintained by Snoopsys for a collection of oil analysis information if you want to dive deep into the details.

I'm willing to bet three 5L jugs of Royal Purple 0W20 that if you just use any API certified 0W20 oil and stick to the MM interval, your motor will make it through the powertrain warranty just fine.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Currently running the oil pictured with an M1 filter. Could you recommend a better oil in this price range or is this good enough? Trying to keep this car as long as possible and I tend to change the oil when the MM asks. Only on my first change at the moment but the 2nd one should be due in a few weeks at most. Thanks

20180916_150453 (1).jpg

I did not notice that the Edge motor oil was marketed as "Superior GDI turbo formula" :D. I don't recall the Castrol edge bottles in Canada stating the special formulation

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did not notice that the Edge motor oil was marketed as "Superior GDI turbo formula" :D. I don't recall the Castrol edge bottles in Canada stating the special formulation
That's what caught my attention as this is my first GDI and turbo car. I usually use M1 oil and filters.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Because of course the catchiness of the design on the jug matters..... before I knew of this forum I looked down upon Quaker State's green jugs as inferior because of how plain the graphics on the jug looked compared to Castrol and Mobil 1. I was an idiot back then. I am not an idiot now thanks to this forum. And every new oil thread that comes up and which I go through makes me less of an idiot with regards to oil.

4drsiblue

First Name
Itz_knt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
Every brand sucks beside torco sr-1 or even better baller status sr-5 oil! :beer::spaz:Close the thread!
Sponsored