Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Can you provide link with the Boss being rated at 20 microns. They do claim 99% dirt removal power but without a micron rating is virtually meaningless. The only info I found is rating it at either 32 or 40 microns and this was on Bitog. For some reason, Purolator does not disclose this most likely because it is inferior to the competition.

It's an interesting topic, although not very relevant. I currently use Honda A01 filters in the Civic. I used Purolator Da Boss once in the CR-V. I was impressed by its weight and looks.

But is it really so hard to find links and data? Here they are:

Both manufacturers put this info in a footnote, and use very similar language about dirt. Interestingly, on the FRAM internet page (which btw. feels clumsy and a bit hard on my browser/display driver both on desktop PC and on iPhone/iPad) they only tell you about their PH, TG and EG models, but somehow nothing on the XG (Ultra). Hmmm.. :hmm: Suspect.

https://www.fram.com/products/consu...s/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter/#collapse_2

*FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of PH8A, 3387A and 4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or EG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.

Purolator's footnote, in contrast to FRAM, does include their full synthetic media filter PBL, but, interestingly, says that the filtering efficiency is a bit less, and they had to use 25 micron instead of of 20 to get "99%+" results.
It looks like it is harder to make a synthetic media filter with equally good filtering as the good old cellulose.... :D That's because the other important parameter is permeability. If you make holes too small, it requires more pressure to push the oil through. FRAM has to use double ply to improve filtering, but what's the pressure drop on their filter? Nobody gives these data, instead focusing on microns. Mobile 1 gives 30 micron right on the box, and I'm 100% sure their filter is more than sufficient.

Purolator: (the cheaper Purolator filters actually catch a tiny bit smaller particles :yes: 20 vs. 25 microns at the level of 99+% )

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/oil-filter-selection-guide/

*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on L30001 and PL30001; 25 microns on PBL30001
Sponsored

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
It's an interesting topic, although not very relevant. I currently use Honda A01 filters in the Civic. I used Purolator Da Boss once in the CR-V. I was impressed by its weight and looks.

But is it really so hard to find links and data? Here they are:

Both manufacturers put this info in a footnote, and use very similar language about dirt. Interestingly, on the FRAM internet page (which btw. feels clumsy and a bit hard on my browser/display driver both on desktop PC and on iPhone/iPad) they only tell you about their PH, TG and EG models, but somehow nothing on the XG (Ultra). Hmmm.. :hmm: Suspect.

https://www.fram.com/products/consu...s/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter/#collapse_2

*FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of PH8A, 3387A and 4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or EG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.

Purolator's footnote, in contrast to FRAM, does include their full synthetic media filter PBL, but, interestingly, says that the filtering efficiency is a bit less, and they had to use 25 micron instead of of 20 to get "99%+" results.
It looks like it is harder to make a synthetic media filter with equally good filtering as the good old cellulose.... :D That's because the other important parameter is permeability. If you make holes too small, it requires more pressure to push the oil through. FRAM has to use double ply to improve filtering, but what's the pressure drop on their filter? Nobody gives these data, instead focusing on microns. Mobile 1 gives 30 micron right on the box, and I'm 100% sure their filter is more than sufficient.

Purolator: (the cheaper Purolator filters actually catch a tiny bit smaller particles :yes: 20 vs. 25 microns at the level of 99+% )

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/oil-filter-selection-guide/

*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on L30001 and PL30001; 25 microns on PBL30001
Yup nobody thinks of the pressure drop. I stick with the filters that were designed for the engine. If you start filtering too much then you start losing flow. So I stick with the A01 or the HAMP filter

Hondu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Yup nobody thinks of the pressure drop. I stick with the filters that were designed for the engine. If you start filtering too much then you start losing flow. So I stick with the A01 or the HAMP filter
If you want to know the flow on the Fram filters, just ask them. See the link below. Looks like the Ultra model filters better and has better flow than the cheaper Fram models (I'm sure the same goes for other part numbers). The XG7317 was also designed for Honda engines, otherwise they could not be sold as applicable for the vehicle in question. I've used it on all my Honda and Acura cars for years without issue.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...348/fram-ph-tg-xg8a-hp1-flow-rate#Post5104348

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you want to know the flow on the Fram filters, just ask them. See the link below. Looks like the Ultra model filters better and has better flow than the cheaper Fram models (I'm sure the same goes for other part numbers). The XG7317 was also designed for Honda engines, otherwise they could not be sold as applicable for the vehicle in question. I've used it on all my Honda and Acura cars for years without issue.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...348/fram-ph-tg-xg8a-hp1-flow-rate#Post5104348
I’m sure it’s a good filter and will get the job done with no issues. It is actually not designed specifically for the Honda engine to their spec. They are a general spec design meaning they are applicable for many vehicles. The Filtech A01 filters were designed specifically for the Honda engine which is why they came factory with these filters on the engine and had “Honda” stamped right on them. I know there are plenty filters out there that will work and some might even work better. But by sticking with the Filtech 15400-PLM-A01 or Hamp H1540-RTA-515 filters it just takes the guesswork out and you know they will work according to spec. And they have been cut open by many and the build quality is good to.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
OEM... nothing better than OEM filter (unless you want that K&N sport oil filter lol)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I’m sure it’s a good filter and will get the job done with no issues. It is actually not designed specifically for the Honda engine to their spec. They are a general spec design meaning they are applicable for many vehicles. The Filtech A01 filters were designed specifically for the Honda engine which is why they came factory with these filters on the engine and had “Honda” stamped right on them. I know there are plenty filters out there that will work and some might even work better. But by sticking with the Filtech 15400-PLM-A01 or Hamp H1540-RTA-515 filters it just takes the guesswork out and you know they will work according to spec. And they have been cut open by many and the build quality is good to.
For which Honda engine were these OEM filters designed? For a 1.5 L NA Four or the fast 2.0T Type R, or for the 3.5L V6 Pilot or Ridgeline truck or some 90's Accord ? Same filter has been used for 20 years for most Honda cars regardless of engine size and oil volume capacity.
Oil filters for most cars have very generic and very similar specifications. I believe almost any filter on the shelf at Walmart and all the auto parts stores would be fine for a Honda car gasoline engine if only it could fit the thread and seal sizes.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I use the original Honda filters myself. But not the new ones that are made by fram, but the ones that are made by Filtech. But Filtech changed their name to Roki America in 2011. So the new filters have a different part number the old ones were 15400-PLM-A01. But now they are H1540-RTA-515. And instead of saying Honda on them, they now say Hamp on them. They are the same exact filter made by the same exact company. There are even some videos and pictures online cutting them open and comparing the two. But here are some pictures I took comparing the ones I got. The one on the left is the A01 and the one on the right is the new 515
2F3623A6-71CB-4586-9A7F-4C90E40FFCEF.jpeg
42D4E8C4-880B-4CB7-A381-A1D7C676DD63.jpeg

CE474F54-4221-4614-A6AC-F84B5B5E82CC.jpeg
Where is a good source for the Hamp H550-RTA-515? I've been using the Mobil1 m110 since the Filtex A02 went away, I'd like to get back to an OEM if possible, just not a fan of the A02 with it's cardboard end caps.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where is a good source for the Hamp H550-RTA-515? I've been using the Mobil1 m110 since the Filtex A02 went away, I'd like to get back to an OEM if possible, just not a fan of the A02 with it's cardboard end caps.
Yeah I know exactly what your talking about those cardboard ends. Yeah Filtech never did that. But I bought mine in bulk from eBay. Here is the link https://www.ebay.com/p/1458632557
Sponsored