DevilDogDoc

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si Aegean Blue
Country flag
My turbo motors all get synthetic oil and 91 octane. These lil guys work hard and run hot, I'll give the best I can. $10 more an oil change and a couple bucks a fill up are worth the piece of mind to me because I drive hard and a lot.
Sponsored

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
My turbo motors all get synthetic oil and 91 octane. These lil guys work hard and run hot, I'll give the best I can. $10 more an oil change and a couple bucks a fill up are worth the piece of mind to me because I drive hard and a lot.
+1
I agree that every turbo motor deserves synthetic oil. I have ran nothing but synthetic for 25 years and wouldn't even use dino oil in my lawnmower. You may get by running cheap oil but it is definitely not optimal in extreme conditions.

confid3ntiaL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX 4dr sedan 2.0L Vtech, 1997 Acura Integra LS
Country flag
So I have an appt Monday 08/02 for my first oil change per maintenance minder. I call my local Honda dealer for price and for synthetic blend he said $55. When I asked for price on full synthetic he sounded like I was crazy and said I didn't need full synthetic, and they the blend will be just fine. What do you guys think I should do? Is it worth paying $75 for full synthetic or $55 for blend? Keep in mind I plan on driving this car until it dies on me. Thanks!...
**UPDATE
Went in for my oil change. Honda Full Synthetic is standard at my local dealer. Full Synthetic and filter with labor out the door $47. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

DevilDogDoc

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si Aegean Blue
Country flag
Nice!!! That's only like 8-10 bucks more than me doing it!

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
**UPDATE
Went in for my oil change. Honda Full Synthetic is standard at my local dealer. Full Synthetic and filter with labor out the door $47. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Up here is was $64.99 plus taxes CAN. I DIY so dealership is charging $25 for labour.

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For me it's a time thing. In the time it would take me to drive to the dealer (on my only day off) I could have the change done in my garage. I hate hanging around dealership service waiting rooms. The coffee always sucks. But if I lived in an apartment, $47 for synthetic + OE filter sounds like a sweet deal!

DevilDogDoc

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si Aegean Blue
Country flag
For me it's a time/ trust thing. My dealer is 45 minutes away, and I don't trust shops. Plus I'm cheap!

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My solution? Whatever the dealer uses. Seriously, I really don't need the engine to last 500 years.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
It's not just about making the engine last longer it's the general extra protection under hard use but use what makes you feel good is what I say. Amsoil SS 0w20 and matching filter makes me "feel" good.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Honda 0W-20 engine oil is a full synthetic formula that provides advanced protection against oil breakdown for a cleaner running engine.

This is our guarantee- Should you find a lower advertised price for an equivalent 0W-20 full synthetic oil & filter change from any other service centre in Canada, your Honda Dealer will match it.

https://www.honda.ca/parts-service/parts/oil-and-fluids

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It's not just about making the engine last longer it's the general extra protection under hard use but use what makes you feel good is what I say. Amsoil SS 0w20 and matching filter makes me "feel" good.
I hear ya, it's whatever you're comfortable with, and everybody is certainly entitled to their opinion. I guess personally I don't see how much more protection Amsoil 0w20 provides, over the stock 0w20 full synthetic that dealers use. I don't think any of us are racing Indy-style.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
First two oil changes were free with the car, so I just let the dealership do their thing. Third change I did myself, used M1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. It's a good oil, and it was on sale on Amazon. I don't tend to do the same type of driving in my Civic as I did when I had an S2000, and I don't think I'm going to have to go with anything too extravagant. I did splurge and get a 5-pack of A01 Filtech filters though. That should get me through the next 35k miles or so.

A while back, I did look at some VOAs on assorted oil that I could find online when there was talk of the possibility of LSPI. Articles suggested that calcium content in oil could help prevent that condition, and M1 AFE also had the highest calcium content I could find in a VOA, so that's just a bonus, although I haven't heard any stories of Civics falling victim to LSPI.

Edit: Correction, the articles suggested the opposite - that calcium content in oil promotes LSPI events, as did the VOAs - M1 AFE had a low calcium content. I had it right at the time, and my memory was just wrong.

Last edited:

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found 540rat's data intriguing, so I just picked up a jug of QSUD 0w20 (scored highly in his testing) from WalMart for $21. I'll use it for my next change, and pull a sample at 5k for UOA. After that I'll use the other jug of Amsoil SS 0w30, and pull another sample after 5k and compare. I understand that if I use Honda oil, I'll probably be fine for as long as I own the car, but I'm an engine geek, and just want to know.

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
For me it's a time/ trust thing. My dealer is 45 minutes away, and I don't trust shops. Plus I'm cheap!
You trust dealers? They are far worst than most shops. I do not go to dealers unless it is a warrenty issue.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Just read a study about the LSPI and that in testing all Amsoil oils protected against it 100% and did not promote it in any way.
Sponsored