FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
He is running the TSP tune and on the stock turbo that is generating more heat. Whether up North or not, it would be most beneficial to maintain stronger combustion.
Agree to disagree.

Even in sunny CA, I'm happy that I did the flex fuel before I installed the intercooler, although I did install the freer-flowing grille at the same time I installed the flex fuel.

I change my answer--flex fuel and grille. Still cheaper than an intercooler, more power, and there is still the cooling effect of ethanol. . .
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Agree to disagree.

Even in sunny CA, I'm happy that I did the flex fuel before I installed the intercooler, although I did install the freer-flowing grille at the same time I installed the flex fuel.

I change my answer--flex fuel and grille. Still cheaper than an intercooler, more power, and there is still the cooling effect of ethanol. . .
I'm just curious, isn't it a hassle to have to visit 2 gas stations and having to mix? I just want to drive up to a Costco pump once a week and be done with it

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
I'm just curious, isn't it a hassle to have to visit 2 gas stations and having to mix? I just want to drive up to a Costco pump once a week and be done with it
The power boost totally outweighs that hypothetical small downside.

That being said, there's three stations very close to my house and/or business locations that all have E85 and normal pump gas, so it's a non-issue for me.

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Agree to disagree.

There's no gas station with Ethanol here in Quebec City so that's not possible

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Agree to disagree.

That is increasing the Octane rating (flex fuel alone). You later installed an Intercooler and a grille. That is (3) items - Either way you still ended up with an Intercooler.
The OP wasn’t looking to make Max power, only the next upgrade (singular).

Flex Fuel (blending) isn’t the typical practical choice other than having a separate tune for higher performance when desired.
With the CAN tunes currently available I wouldn’t bother with higher than pump octane for a daily; especially on a stock turbo. Intercoolers are not that expensive and provide better intake temps.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The power boost totally outweighs that hypothetical small downside.

That being said, there's three stations very close to my house and/or business locations that all have E85 and normal pump gas, so it's a non-issue for me.
I guess I'm just lazy as hell. The Costco on Automation Parkway is about 2 miles from my work, if I time it right in the morning, I'm in and out in less than 10 minutes

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
That is increasing the Octane rating (flex fuel alone). You later installed an Intercooler and a grille. That is (3) items - Either way you still ended up with an Intercooler.
The OP wasn’t looking to make Max power, only the next upgrade (singular).

Flex Fuel (blending) isn’t the typical practical choice other than having a separate tune for higher performance when desired.
With the CAN tunes currently available I wouldn’t bother with higher than pump octane for a daily; especially on a stock turbo. Intercoolers are not that expensive and provide better intake temps.
I only installed flex fuel and the grille at the same time. I installed the IC a month later. Quite frankly I could've done without the IC on a day to day basis.

If you want to talk practical, the grille and flex fuel are very practical. It lowered temps a ton in normal every day driving, whereas the IC is only really ever useful in aggressive driving.

Maybe you're not aware of this, but ethanol reduces the intake charge, so it is useful for cooling also.

I don't know how flex fuel isn't practical. Even though the OP doesn't have access, many people DO have access to E85. And if you're not near a station with E85 when you need fuel. . . you can run on straight gasoline just fine.

And this may be two items, but they are still cheaper than adding an IC which I must repeat, is really only useful in sustained spirited driving.

You want ONE next mod? Flex fuel. Don't have access to E85: Michelin PS4S tires.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You want ONE next mod? Flex fuel. Don't have access to E85: Michelin PS4S tires.
I would go with Continentals, they perform and are rated just as good as Michelins but are cheaper. On Clublexus they are the number one recommended tire for the IS models. Keep in mind the below are spec for an IS350 with a staggered setup

View attachment 207348

View attachment 207349

Honda Civic 10th gen Best next upgrade? Michelin.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Best next upgrade? Continentals.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I’m currently tsp stage 1 + PRL intake. I just threw on a DP and noticed a significant gain. The car pulls way harder throughout the entire rev range, a noticeable difference. Tires are next for me.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I only installed flex fuel and the grille at the same time. I installed the IC a month later. Quite frankly I could've done without the IC on a day to day basis.

If you want to talk practical, the grille and flex fuel are very practical. It lowered temps a ton in normal every day driving, whereas the IC is only really ever useful in aggressive driving.

Maybe you're not aware of this, but ethanol reduces the intake charge, so it is useful for cooling also.

I don't know how flex fuel isn't practical. Even though the OP doesn't have access, many people DO have access to E85. And if you're not near a station with E85 when you need fuel. . . you can run on straight gasoline just fine.

And this may be two items, but they are still cheaper than adding an IC which I must repeat, is really only useful in sustained spirited driving.

Your underlined statement is incorect.
Flex Fuel lowers the combustion temperature, not the charge air. Meth/Alcohol would lower the charge air.
It is an unconventional method as opposed to a conventional intercooler.
Like you have written, you still ended up with an Intercooler as you assuredly found it to be beneficial.
E85 stations are not as easily found, contrary to your belief and especially in CA.

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Like you have written, you still ended up with an Intercooler as you assuredly found it to be beneficial.
Like I have written, no I really didn't find it beneficial.

Grille, turbo blanket, and gold tape are a much better investment IMO.

Definitely not much bang for the buck with the IC in anything other than sustained hard driving in hot weather.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Like I have written, no I really didn't find it beneficial.

Grille, turbo blanket, and gold tape are a much better investment IMO.

Definitely not much bang for the buck with the IC in anything other than sustained hard driving in hot weather.
You are correct that a performance IC is most beneficial doing hard driving, but it is also beneficial driving on hot days, a couple of times while in SoCal in the summer I experienced heat soak, but after installing a Mishimoto Performance IC, I never had heat soak again. With ethanol it will have a cooling effect in the combustion chamber, but not on the charged air. I saw reductions of IAT1 from 140 degrees all the way down to 113 degrees F. I also only paid $300 for mine (someone else's misfortune). Anyway, doesn't matter to me, I'm NA!

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Your underlined statement is incorect.
Flex Fuel lowers the combustion temperature, not the charge air. Meth/Alcohol would lower the charge air.
It is an unconventional method as opposed to a conventional intercooler.
E85 stations are not as easily found, contrary to your belief and especially in CA.
It is imperative to acknowledge the entire post:
I am aware that E85 DOES NOT cool the charge air. Are you aware of that now?

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag