Best location under dash to mount electronics?

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si black sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 2 relays and a 6 inline fuse block that I need to mount under the driver's side dash. I am considering mounting them with screws to the left hand kick plate (the plastic piece covering the hood release cable), or pealing back some of the insulation on firewall and mounting them with 3m tape.

Issues with the kick plate - if I need to remove the plate, it would involve unscrewing the the relays and block and leaving them hanging by their cables.

Issues with the firewall - colder due to less insulation, and harder to reach.

Thoughts and opinions? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I chose the kick panel as the insulation was being really difficult to remove. I will post pictures later today.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mounted the relays upside down to minimize the impact on the footwell.
Honda Civic 10th gen Best location under dash to mount electronics? 20190511_124049

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I mounted by "additional OBD2 port items" by sliding the cables and the connected device(s) up into the area above the lower plastic cover that extends out just above the drivers legs... Tucks away securely, but is easy to pull out if needed.

I do not have relays etc, but I see where you mounted the relay as a permanent fixture -- looks good.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mounted by "additional OBD2 port items" by sliding the cables and the connected device(s) up into the area above the lower plastic cover that extends out just above the drivers legs... Tucks away securely, but is easy to pull out if needed.

I do not have relays etc, but I see where you mounted the relay as a permanent fixture -- looks good.
I did something similar, but as I was short on space I also had to tuck some stuff up into the space in the dash above the left foot kick panel.

Side note about odb2 devices: I found that many were incompatible with one another - especially the tmobile odb2 device (it was greedy af on the bus and blocked the tuner).

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I did something similar, but as I was short on space I also had to tuck some stuff up into the space in the dash above the left foot kick panel.

Side note about odb2 devices: I found that many were incompatible with one another - especially the tmobile odb2 device (it was greedy af on the bus and blocked the tuner).
Some OBD2 devices do NOT play well with others, and especially the State Emission Test OBD2 devices. You may need some way to remove all addon OBD2 devices before going for Emissions Testing,

I went for a simple setup. A white connector exactly the same as the Honda one, mounted in the original Holder, and a short lead to plug into the now free-floating original connector.
Then, from that cable a longer 2 ft length cable with 3 OBD2 ports on its other end.

So I have a new Original looking one in the original holder, and then hidden away, 3 more sockets where I can plug in additional devices, and to the casual look, it still looks like the original connector is still there, with no obvious sign there may be 3 additional ports "somewhere".

A GPS tracker and the WiFi module (for Torque Pro), that I have currently connected do not interfere with each other.

I understand the there is a newer version of my GPS module that is now available that turns itself OFF, if it detects another OBD2 device has been added, so not to interfere with that new device.. NOT what I want, so I have the Older version that does not turn off.
Sponsored