Best dash cams?

1. Harlaquin

Harlaquin Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
    What do you all think is the best dashcam? IM looking for one with front and rear and the front having a screen for playback. What do you have and why did you get it? also if it had on screen speed and other info that would be great too.

2. silverblip

silverblip Senior Member

Machinist
    First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    2019 LSM Civic Si Sedan
  3. gr8-wrx

gr8-wrx Member

Car(s):
    2018 & 2013 Civics
    I like the Mobius cams, they are very small and very reliable. Personally, with dashcams, I prioritized reliability and decent resolution over more features. dashcamtalk is also a good resource.

4. davemarco

davemarco Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2001 Honda Prelude (Premium White Pearl)
    Blackvue seems to be an awesome, low profile choice for those that, like me, don't actually want to see their dashcam.

5. MonkeyConQueso

MonkeyConQueso Senior Member

Systems Engineer
    First Name:
    Armand
    Car(s):
    2017 CTR
    I have a Garmin Dashcam 55 which is pretty decent. It's tiny, the mount is a sticky magnet, so it's easy to remove the camera itself if necessary, and it's pretty simple to use. I'm sure there's others with better features, but I liked this one because of the price point.

And actually, are you interested in video clips from the cameras? I can get a small clip from my drive today once I get home and clip a few seconds out of my commute to my phone...

6. 06S2k07Si

06S2k07Si Senior Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Car(s):
    2006 S2000 2007 Civic Si 2008 TSX 2014 TSX 2013 CB1000R 2018 Civic Type R 12063
    One of the best resources for all things dashcam and radar detectors...check his YouTube channel as well...

https://www.vortexradar.com/

7. OP
    OP
    Harlaquin

Harlaquin Senior Member

Car(s):
    Thank you sir.

06S2k07Si thanked this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Harlaquin

Harlaquin Senior Member

Car(s):
    That would be awesome.

9. mehrdad

mehrdad Senior Member

First Name:
    Mehrdad
    Car(s):
    2014 Volvo XC60, 2018 CTR
    I bought Garmin Dash Cam 55 for my Volvo, and the quality is just perfect. I remember that day I looked some reviews and It used to be one of the best possible purchases.

Harlaquin thanked this.
  10. HondaFan2017

HondaFan2017 Senior Member

Car(s):
    '19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
    Also Thinkware Q800 Pro(F800 the prev model) is among the best. Has most of the desirable features(resolution, high fps, good sensitivity at night, dynamic range, clever parking modes,cloud, dual channel). Price is a bit steep but you get what you're paying for.
    Check first on youtube the results of each. For instance you'll see on cheaper cameras that it's almost impossible to distinguish the licence plate writing from 2-3 lengths of car distance. Due to low res/fps. Do your research before.

11. MonkeyConQueso

Systems Engineer
    First Name:
    Armand
    Car(s):
    2017 CTR
    I may have gotten really distracted with a bunch of stuff going on here, and you sold your CTR...but you'll still not want to be without a Dashcam! Here's a 1 minute snippet of me driving to work to give you an idea of what it looks like (excuse my loud music). I have it mounted directly behind the rearview mirror for this. My only beef with it is when the sun is shining directly on the dash, it gets hard to make out license plates, otherwise, it's pretty dang decent. I guarantee that there are better dashcams out there, however: You get what you pay for, generally.

12. OP
    OP
    Harlaquin

Harlaquin Senior Member

Car(s):
    Thanks so much , actually I was asking about dash cams because I was getting a new car :). Thanks for doing this for me I appreciate it. IM getting good ideas here. Looks good. IM leaning toward thinkware right now I think. I dont like they don't have a screen on them but I'M assuming they are viewed with an app? But your video looks good too. hummmm choices.

Edit: what the heck are you listening too LOL. Joking. yeah I like the video it has the speed and info at bottom. Im gonna look into these. Do they have a rear camera option as well?

13. OP
    OP
    Harlaquin

Harlaquin Senior Member

Car(s):
    Yes I hear they are the best. I was looking at these. man I have to compare for a month before I decide :) but on the bright side I return almost nothing.

14. Caestus

Caestus Senior Member

First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Car(s):
    19 Civic Type R
    So many options......... The cost to purchase and the labor to install....

I hate that it's always 90+ degrees in South Florida or I would have one already..... Now I am looking for simple plug and play options :(

15. MonkeyConQueso

Systems Engineer
    First Name:
    Armand
    Car(s):
    2017 CTR
    The video looks a little better raw, without Youtube's compression. The Garmin uses GPS for LAT/LONG & speed, so it's not 100% accurate, but a lot of the nicer cams use GPS as well. There is no rear camera option that I know of, and those are usually $250+ and can be really damn good - eventually I'll spring for one.

And I was listening to White Stripes, I think that's from Icky Thump.