Best Aftermarket Leather For OEM Appearance?

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm looking to upgrade to leather. I'm over the cloth seats and constantly cleaning them. Katzkin seems to be the name that pops up in most searches and I've seen that name at dealers before today. I've searched videos and pictures in places and is it me or do these seats not look OEM at all with Katzkin? They look like completely different seats. I can't tell if it's because their leather is super thick and looks off compare to OEM leather in most cars or not which may be thinner? Can anyone shed some light on what the best leather options are?
Sponsored

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
They're the same pattern but they do look different mostly because they give you color options. I'm not sure why that matters, an EX cannot be optioned with leather so one with leather that isn't OEM shouldn't really have an impact. I'd never look at an EX and be like oh this isn't oem because no crap it isn't OEM lol.

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have the Katzkin on my Si: I think it looks pretty nice (there are plenty of threads with photos), but not as fitted as factory leather would. There are wrinkles here and there, and the leather comes with padding attached, that gives it a different feel... If you like firm seats, Katzkin may not be for you.

That said, they're very comfortable and the leather feels more luxurious than factory so... It is a give and take. I'm very pleased with it. But, I'm also not a perfectionist.

OP
OP
jvivlemore

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the Katzkin on my Si: I think it looks pretty nice (there are plenty of threads with photos), but not as fitted as factory leather would. There are wrinkles here and there, and the leather comes with padding attached, that gives it a different feel... If you like firm seats, Katzkin may not be for you.

That said, they're very comfortable and the leather feels more luxurious than factory so... It is a give and take. I'm very pleased with it. But, I'm also not a perfectionist.
Do they change in appearance from the time you install them to say a month later? I'm wondering if I'm seeing a ton of pictures and videos just after install before they're broken in and stretched maybe? I don't like firm seats. I just don't want the seats to lose the contour of their shape with aftermarket leather installed on them and become a fluffy/curved looking seat if that make sense? The best way I can describe it are those oversized fake leather sofas you can find everywhere that are a little rough in texture and look sloppy.

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
They actually hold their shape very well over time. When I first picked up the car, though, the leather was so soft that I did cause a wrinkle on the driver's seat. Over time, the leather hardened and tightened a little, so there has been no further wrinkling.

It is possible that my installer over did it with conditioner (or whatever they do) that caused it to be so soft initially, but... All good now.
Sponsored