Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi, thinking on getting a new set of wheels, but if there’s something me being picky is about wheels. I love the volk te37, but those are around $3,000 for a set of 4. However, I’ve seen the avid 1, which are a replic and they look pretty nice. Bottom line, I was wondering if y’all can help out to decide which wheels are the best looking for my car. If y’all can post pictures, will be awesome. Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Hi, thinking on getting a new set of wheels, but if there’s something me being picky is about wheels. I love the volk te37, but those are around $3,000 for a set of 4. However, I’ve seen the avid 1, which are a replic and they look pretty nice. Bottom line, I was wondering if y’all can help out to decide which wheels are the best looking for my car. If y’all can post pictures, will be awesome. Thanks in advance guys!
I'm actually in the same boat as you. I'm planning to pick up a set of the av-06 on black Friday for $400 from my local tire shop

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Li
I'm actually in the same boat as you. I'm planning to pick up a set of the av-06 on black Friday for $400 from my local tire shop
lucky you. Where I live, I don’t have options. Pretty much all local tire shop what they have is for trucks. Very little inventory for small size cars, and what they have is ugly af. Lol

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
I'm going back and forth on the color though. My car is black. I was thinking either black, bronze for that clean look. Maybe hyper black for that luxury look or white for that tuner look

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Same here. Mine is blue, I think bronze will look great, but also a matte black might look good.

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
You can also look at the Rota Grid, they are a replica of the TE37 and are also a good lightweight wheel

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Yeah but rotas are more expensive than Avid1. Rota is pretty much top dog in the tuner replica rim market

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Oh yeah... the rota grid are way more expensive. I can’t spend more than my budget tho. I’ve already done a few mods to my car, and wheels are the last mod that I haven’t done on my list. At least for the next several months.

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Great deal! Do you know how much they weight, each wheel?

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
Eesh...400 for a full set of wheels in 17s or 18s? Not a good idea. Rotas are really poor quality. I’ve heard of people bending or breaking them fairly easy. You can never go wrong with Enkei, I’ve bought multiple sets for many of my cars and they have never failed me. I’ve got Sparco wheels on my Miata which have done very well so far.

Look on tirerack.com they have a really good selection and they take all the guesswork out of choosing the proper size for your ride. Trust me, you don’t want to skimp on wheels. You’ll end up spending more in the long run and risk having your car out of commission when a wheel fails after a nasty pothole.

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Well, I can’t say that rota are bad, at least 12 years ago. I had the slipstreams and the circuit, and never had any issues with them. I used them in the track numerous times and they were my daily wheels. I don’t know if their quality production has become poorly throughout the years, but couple years ago they were the go.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Eesh...400 for a full set of wheels in 17s or 18s? Not a good idea. Rotas are really poor quality. I’ve heard of people bending or breaking them fairly easy. You can never go wrong with Enkei, I’ve bought multiple sets for many of my cars and they have never failed me. I’ve got Sparco wheels on my Miata which have done very well so far.

Look on tirerack.com they have a really good selection and they take all the guesswork out of choosing the proper size for your ride. Trust me, you don’t want to skimp on wheels. You’ll end up spending more in the long run and risk having your car out of commission when a wheel fails after a nasty pothole.
Thanks for the response but this isn't my 1st time around the block. All the "rota accidents" I've ever read about online were due to some event that would have probably damaged any rims. I have never read a story that stated they were driving normally and then the rota rims broke all of a sudden. In fact, I cant think of any rims that have spontaneously broken down due to normal driving.
I've personally have gone through 3 sets of rotas in my lifetime and I've have never ever had any promotional problems that would have made them unsafe to drive on. Sure, the color will fade after a couple of years but I would still consider them safe to drive on. I've had people tell me that you need to spend over $1k on rims, volks/advan/works, other wise you risk life. Pardon my ignorance, but I just dont agree.
I have also researched this particular rim and it's been around for a while. If I found multiple reviews were they stated the rims were unsafe, I wouldn't be purchasing them. However, I'm not going to exclude
rims from my selection just because they are cheap. I cant make a decision on purchase solely on price.
Funny story, my cousin told me that he had a pair of rotas that broke on him during his daily driving. Then I flew to Texas to visit. I rode shotgun in his car to a restaurant. I dont need to tell you the rest of the story but my cousins driving plus the numerous potholes in Houston.... yeah, it wasn't the rims fault.

Last edited:

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I can’t say that rota are bad, at least 12 years ago. I had the slipstreams and the circuit, and never had any issues with them. I used them in the track numerous times and they were my daily wheels. I don’t know if their quality production has become poorly throughout the years, but couple years ago they were the go.
They got their reputation for poor quality from the numerous reports of catastrophic failure on cars. Just google image search Rota wheel failure and some horrific stuff comes up. Some say that’s all in the past, but it’s enough to make me never risk buying from them. And I think there’s probably a good reason big wheel distributors (like tire rack) don’t stock rotas.:hmm:

Not to keep shilling for Enkei, but seriously, you can’t go wrong with them. They are good Japanese quality, they are the oem wheel maufacturer of choice for MANY car brands (Honda included), they have a really large selection of styles, and they aren’t expensive. They seem to start around 150 or so per wheel depending on size. I wouldn’t feel safe going much cheaper than that.

Experience has taught me to spend a little more for peace of mind, but I’m definitely not saying you need to spend 3k on a set of wheels. It’s your car though, so your choice.:thumbsup:

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response but this isn't my 1st time around the block. All the "rota accidents" I've ever read about online were due to some event that would have probably damaged any rims. I have never read a story that stated they were driving normally and then the rota rims broke all of a sudden. In fact, I cant think of any rims that have spontaneously broken down due to normal driving. I've personally have gone through 3 sets of rotas in my lifetime and I've have never ever had any promotional problems that would have made them unsafe to drive on. Sure, the color will fade after a couple of years but I would still consider them safe to drive on. I've had people tell me that you need to spend over $1k on rims, volks/advan/works, other wise you risk life. Pardon my ignorance, but I just dont agree.
Funny story, my cousin told me that he had a pair of rotas that broke on him during his daily driving. Then I flew to Texas to visit. I rode shotgun in his car to a restaurant. I dont need to tell you the rest of the story but my cousins driving plus the numerous potholes in Houston.... yeah, it wasn't the rims fault.
I get what you’re saying. But I wish Volks were only 1k for a set:p. Like i posted before, I’d rather not take the risk on a 3-400 dollar set, but that’s just me.

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
They got their reputation for poor quality from the numerous reports of catastrophic failure on cars. Just google image search Rota wheel failure and some horrific stuff comes up. Some say that’s all in the past, but it’s enough to make me never risk buying from them. And I think there’s probably a good reason big wheel distributors (like tire rack) don’t stock rotas.:hmm:

Not to keep shilling for Enkei, but seriously, you can’t go wrong with them. They are good Japanese quality, they are the oem wheel maufacturer of choice for MANY car brands (Honda included), they have a really large selection of styles, and they aren’t expensive. They seem to start around 150 or so per wheel depending on size. I wouldn’t feel safe going much cheaper than that.

Experience has taught me to spend a little more for peace of mind, but I’m definitely not saying you need to spend 3k on a set of wheels. It’s your car though, so your choice.:thumbsup:
I’d talk about my experience with them, and there’s nothing bad that I can say. If you had bad experience with them, then you have reasons for not trusting on them. Not everyone have the same experience tho. Also, I can’t say that because x tire shop don’t have x wheels on their inventory, is a good reason to say they’re the worst wheels. I wish that I could have $900 for a set of rota.
Sponsored