Beeps when leaving the car?

TinSnips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Maybe??
Country flag
My Civic (EX-T) beeps when I leave the car and close the door. Typically two beeps.

However lately every time is has a more "urgent" beeps though. Like 10 times every quarter second. I couldn't figure out why it's different sometimes. Does anyone know?

Couldn't find anything in the manual either.
Sponsored

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
My Civic (EX-T) beeps when I leave the car and close the door. Typically two beeps. However lately every time is has a more "urgent" beeps though. Like 10 times every quarter second. I couldn't figure out why it's different sometimes. Does anyone know? Couldn't find anything in the manual either.
I know I turned on the "walk away lock" feature on mine, as that was a feature I really wanted. When it works (no more than 1/2 of the time) I get two beeps. One to tell me it's activated, and another to tell me it's locked (once I've left a 6 foot range of the car). Half the time, though, it gives the rapid succession of beeps similar to what I think you are describing (even though, in theory I've done everything correctly to prevent this reaction).

According to the manual(p 129):

After the auto lock function has been activated, the auto lock operation stop beeper sounds for approximately two seconds in the following cases.
• The smart entry remote is put inside the vehicle through a window.
• You are located too close to the vehicle.
• The smart entry remote is put inside the trunk.
If the warning beeper sounds, check that you are carrying the smart entry remote. Then, open/close a door and confirm the auto lock activation beeper sounds once.

To me, this feature is useless half the time. The car seems to mis-figure the situation and assumes that remote has been thrown back in (it hasn't) or I am located too close to the vehicle (I've usually left the 6' range when this happens), or I've thrown the remote in the trunk. In these cases, the car does not lock unless you manually lock it with the remote or go back and open and close a door. The whole purpose of this feature is to not have to fiddle around for you remote when leaving the car, but just as often as not, I have to. Very cumbersome when I am going in to work with all 4 of my hands full (hyperbole intentional, but it makes the point).

astein244@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic LX Manual,1995 Civic Del Sol SI 278k,1995 BMW M3 5 speed (rip),1992 SC300 5 speedl(rip),2005 Is300 5 speed(rip)
If its doing more than 2 beeps that means 3 things.
1. there's another key in the vehicle
2. the car is still running
3. There is a door or trunk that isn't all the way closed.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If its doing more than 2 beeps that means 3 things.
1. there's another key in the vehicle
2. the car is still running
3. There is a door or trunk that isn't all the way closed.
In theory, but in reality, for me at least, this is not true. I get the many beeps fairly regularly, and in every case, the car is off, the other key is in an office desk drawer a hundred feet (or several miles) away and all doors and the trunk are closed. I wonder how many other people have a similar issue.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up turning off the walk away, it drove me nuts beeping. Typically when I get out I walk closely to the car around to the passenger side and get out my brief case, and it would beep like mad while I did that.
Found it very annoying, easier to just push the button and lock the car myself.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
In theory, but in reality, for me at least, this is not true. I get the many beeps fairly regularly, and in every case, the car is off, the other key is in an office desk drawer a hundred feet (or several miles) away and all doors and the trunk are closed. I wonder how many other people have a similar issue.
As David1pro said the feature doesn't work consistently in practice.
Maybe about 1/4 of the time for me it gives the rapid beeps and doesn't lock.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
As David1pro said the feature doesn't work consistently in practice.
Maybe about 1/4 of the time for me it gives the rapid beeps and doesn't lock.
I think since it's off by default that not a lot of people are using it.

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had that and it basically means the car isn't happy...

One I left my lights in the "on" position, another time a door was slightly ajar, sometimes it does that if the passenger has the key and they get out first and the drivers door is still open.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think since it's off by default that not a lot of people are using it.
Yea it's off by default. I turned it on in my cars settings, after a couple days of relentless beeping I turned it back off.

Broomsky16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic, 2014 Ford Edge, 2015 Honda CR-v
So glad this post was made. I actually went to the local dealer today because I thought I was going nuts. I activated the walk away feature and it works but sometimes it doesn't and it beeps 8 times or so quickly( the same beeps you get if you leave the car running and walk away with the key). The tech looked it up and said 11 people in two weeks had brought it in for the same reason and the only fix was disabling the auto lock walk away feature. I have noticed when the auto lock feature doesn't work (which is half the time) that's when it does it. I have not noticed the quick beeps when the auto lock feature works. Glad to know I wasn't alone!

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I assumed the quick beeps was the car's way of warning you it can't lock itself, for reasons unknown. It either locks and beeps twice, as described, or it beeps several times and doesn't lock (meaning the computer has made the decision not to lock, but to beep many times instead, which at least warns you your car is unlocked).

The dealer saying "turn off the promised and advertised feature" as a fix isn't a fix. I would send this to Honda customer service line if that's all the dealer is willing to do. They need to acknowledge there is a problem and try to work with Honda to try to fix it. Telling people to ignore a problem won't get anything done. Sorry, the dealer's response irks me.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I assumed the quick beeps was the car's way of warning you it can't lock itself, for reasons unknown. It either locks and beeps twice, as described, or it beeps several times and doesn't lock (meaning the computer has made the decision not to lock, but to beep many times instead, which at least warns you your car is unlocked).

The dealer saying "turn off the promised and advertised feature" as a fix isn't a fix. I would send this to Honda customer service line if that's all the dealer is willing to do. They need to acknowledge there is a problem and try to work with Honda to try to fix it. Telling people to ignore a problem won't get anything done. Sorry, the dealer's response irks me.
True

Broomsky16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic, 2014 Ford Edge, 2015 Honda CR-v
Oh don't worry! I'm not just accepting "turn off the feature". I just didn't want to go on and on about what my plans are. I was quite flustered at the dealer that day since I had several things not working and most were contained to the infotainment system. It's being dropped off on Thursday to have that looked at, Apple car play dropping, exterior lights not coming on upon unlocking in the evening and the most annoying- side arm rest on door is completely worn and I don't even rest my arm there. The crease is now white and the interior is black, huge eye sore. Trust me, I'm not accepting their answer as a fix, just didn't have the time nor energy to fight with them that day. Sorry didn't explain! :)

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh don't worry! I'm not just accepting "turn off the feature". I just didn't want to go on and on about what my plans are. I was quite flustered at the dealer that day since I had several things not working and most were contained to the infotainment system. It's being dropped off on Thursday to have that looked at, Apple car play dropping, exterior lights not coming on upon unlocking in the evening and the most annoying- side arm rest on door is completely worn and I don't even rest my arm there. The crease is now white and the interior is black, huge eye sore. Trust me, I'm not accepting their answer as a fix, just didn't have the time nor energy to fight with them that day. Sorry didn't explain! :)
You definitely have a lot of bones to pick with them! Is your interior fabric?

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag

Dealerships aren't software developers.
They really only know what Honda tells them.
When I bought my Civic I knew more about it than the dealership thanks to this forum. They hadn't even been trained.

It's on Honda to fix.
The only thing on the dealership is how well they handle admitting they don't know how to fix the issue.
Other than letting a buyer know they aren't alone I'm not sure what else they could do.
Sponsored