burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
When I had my Lexus IS350 F Sport there was one company who made Coilovers that were compatible with the Adaptive Suspension, J5 Suspension. The problem was, 1) They were new here to the US 2) They were expensive. I am assuming any of these companies can make it happen, but is it worth the cost to the manufacturer and consumer?

http://www.j5usa.com/shop/2013-lexus-is-350-fsport-rwd
Yeah many people probably won’t even purchase it for a crazy amount of money lol. That’s why people like myself just get some BC racing coilovers, slap some swift springs on there, code pops up but most likely hondata or ktuner can clear that anyway!

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah many people probably won’t even purchase it for a crazy amount of money lol. That’s why people like myself just get some BC racing coilovers, slap some swift springs on there, code pops up but most likely hondata or ktuner can clear that anyway!
No options to clear that code from Ktuner or Hondata

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ktuner said they can’t disable that because it’s not related to the ecu

j_babsR1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2004 Yamaha R1
D2 racing is releasing their coilovers Si specific. They are currently working on a module to fix the ADS code as well. Maybe their module can work on other coils too

OP
OP
burningoilagain

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ktuner said they can’t disable that because it’s not related to the ecu

oh wow gotcha! I mean hey I wont need a "sport dampening" when BC will provide a 36 way adjustable dampening anyway lol.

OP
OP
burningoilagain

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
D2 racing is releasing their coilovers Si specific. They are currently working on a module to fix the ADS code as well. Maybe their module can work on other coils too
That would be pretty dope. I never had an issue with D2 either just one time when I lowered my car the spring rates weren’t as strong so it would bottom out. With BC you can make it to as far as a 20k spring rate. Not that I would need it with this car because I’m done with that super lowered lifestyle lol.

The_Honda_Code

Code FK8
First Name
Code
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And for that reason alone I will keep my oem suspension.
Exactly! I know Tein makes the adjustable coilovers for certain vehicles, but I dont know why these manufacturers can't come up with a system that is plug and play with the electronic dampening in Sport mode. If K tuner and Hondata allow for all sorts of changes in programming the ecu, how hard would it be to plug and play the coilovers with our Sport mode.

With a company like BC, I figured that they would be the ones to set the bar for other manufacturers when it comes to this. Quality parts, no doubt there, amount the best, but I think they should consider making an factory plug and play set of their coilovers, for those of us who want stiffer suspension when we want it, and more forgiving suspension for daily commuting and etc.
Idk, maybe its just me?

The_Honda_Code

Code FK8
First Name
Code
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely not, just you. That would be a great item for all the people that use this car as a daily driver as well as a fun toy. and it opens the market up to people that are more interested in keeping a stock appearance.
I agree completely. I'm just going to keep my factory suspension and wait. More often than not, manufacturers always give the consumer what they want in the long run.

j_babsR1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2004 Yamaha R1
That would be pretty dope. I never had an issue with D2 either just one time when I lowered my car the spring rates weren’t as strong so it would bottom out. With BC you can make it to as far as a 20k spring rate. Not that I would need it with this car because I’m done with that super lowered lifestyle lol.
Hahaha same im done with the “slammed” and “stance” life haha. It was fun and all with all the looks but got a baby now. Got to keep the car safe! So I’m sure d2 will do just fine for me. Never had experience with d2 is their ride smooth?

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Ohh okay I see! But yeah man in my opinion id choose a built coilover with my choice of spring rate that I can daily street and on a track anytime, 36 way adjustable dampening yes click click click until I find a sweet spot lol. And I can also lower the car pretty far down to my desire :headbang:Hey if a company that I trust and never had issues with will drop a coilover for our car that works with the factory dampening I'm all for it! But for the person that fine tunes his suspension like myself it makes no night a day difference. It just thickens the fluid in the strut to make it feel more sportier and stiffer.
Hmm... I don't think dampers work quite the way you seem to think they do and the silly clicky adjusters definitely don't do what you think they do. They dont' quite go just from stiff to soft and stiff isn't more "aggressive" or faster than soft. The adjusters don't change the viscosity of the fluid.

good reading: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

There is a reason no one can make lowering springs that work well with stock shocks. Shocks are designed to control spring rates. Spring rates are regulated by ride height. If you go lower, you need stiffer springs to not bottom out. If you have stiffer springs you need properly valved shocks or you end up with crap. Most lowering springs raise the stiffness as much as they can to not get overly bouncy with the now underdamped spring rate but this is usually not anywhere stiff enough if you do the math. (https://www.racingaspirations.com/apps/wheel-frequency-calculator/)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Exactly! I know Tein makes the adjustable coilovers for certain vehicles, but I dont know why these manufacturers can't come up with a system that is plug and play with the electronic dampening in Sport mode. If K tuner and Hondata allow for all sorts of changes in programming the ecu, how hard would it be to plug and play the coilovers with our Sport mode.

With a company like BC, I figured that they would be the ones to set the bar for other manufacturers when it comes to this. Quality parts, no doubt there, amount the best, but I think they should consider making an factory plug and play set of their coilovers, for those of us who want stiffer suspension when we want it, and more forgiving suspension for daily commuting and etc.
Idk, maybe its just me?
The ADS module is independent of the ECU and continually monitors the vehicle's damping parameters. The OEM module assumes that both height and bi-mode damping forces are pre-set. Changing these two parameters (as with most coilovers) invalidates the purpose of having the on-board ADS in the first place.

Not an excuse - just expanding on the challenge facing our third party manufacturers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
burningoilagain

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hmm... I don't think dampers work quite the way you seem to think they do and the silly clicky adjusters definitely don't do what you think they do. They dont' quite go just from stiff to soft and stiff isn't more "aggressive" or faster than soft. The adjusters don't change the viscosity of the fluid.

good reading: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

There is a reason no one can make lowering springs that work well with stock shocks. Shocks are designed to control spring rates. Spring rates are regulated by ride height. If you go lower, you need stiffer springs to not bottom out. If you have stiffer springs you need properly valved shocks or you end up with crap. Most lowering springs raise the stiffness as much as they can to not get overly bouncy with the now underdamped spring rate but this is usually not anywhere stiff enough if you do the math. (https://www.racingaspirations.com/apps/wheel-frequency-calculator/)
I know exactly what dampeners do. All they do is adjust shock travel (rebound) of the strut. Ive dealt with coilovers for quite a while and that's def what the oem system does as well. Put an adjustable coilover all the way to 36 and you will feel how the strut stiffens up. If you think I'm meaning it adjust the overall stiffness of the ride its self I never said that. Ive had BC coils with 24k spring rates, 12k spring rates all sorts on many cars.

OP
OP
burningoilagain

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hahaha same im done with the “slammed” and “stance” life haha. It was fun and all with all the looks but got a baby now. Got to keep the car safe! So I’m sure d2 will do just fine for me. Never had experience with d2 is their ride smooth?
Very smooth can’t say anything wrong but only that their springs rust up after like 3-4 years. Well it happened to a few of my friends but at the same time it’s not like they took their coilovers out to clean them up like I have. But I don’t think spring should rust up like that. Basically one of my friends springs just cracked and fell apart. And when I took it out for him it was all rusted up. But the ride quality is good that def no issues on that side. They make covers for coilovers not so they don’t get beat from the winters on the east. Ktuner makes them it’s like 45.00 I suggest getting those with your new coils!

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
I know exactly what dampeners do. All they do is adjust shock travel (rebound) of the strut. Ive dealt with coilovers for quite a while and that's def what the oem system does as well. Put an adjustable coilover all the way to 36 and you will feel how the strut stiffens up. If you think I'm meaning it adjust the overall stiffness of the ride its self I never said that. Ive had BC coils with 24k spring rates, 12k spring rates all sorts on many cars.
uhhhh, that is not quite right. please read the article i linked.
Sponsored