Battery issue

1. motorcivic

motorcivic Member

Car(s):
    civic-touring
    Today after I turned off the engine in my civic 2016 but keep radio on for few minutes, after 5 minutes, it does not restart. and gradually battery dies with no light etc in about 10 minutes.... I then call insurance for a tow car. after they arrived, they did jump and the car easily started with no issue. The last check on my battery was ok with 65% life. So I absolutely not clear what just happened!
    Any help!

Thanks

2. TypeSiR

TypeSiR Senior Member

Car Driver
    Car(s):
    1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
    #2 TypeSiR, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Is it running the original factory battery? You'll probably need to replace it (size: 51R) soon. You can buy a cheap battery tester to verify or have Pep Boys or AutoZone test it for free. You can probably prolong the inevitable by charging it.

For a car battery, 12.6V or more is considered full. Anything below 12.4V is bad (not yet dead but marginal) for the battery (sulfation begins). At 11.9V, the battery is considered dead.

My '16 EX-T's battery is also needing replacement soon. Already got stranded twice. But I've since bought a tester and charger to extend the life of the marginal battery. I'll probably look for one before winter hits even though we've mild weather here. Good luck.

Battery Tester:
    https://www.amazon.com/MOTOPOWER-MP0514A-Voltmeter-Charging-Indication/dp/B01DYE581Y

Battery Charger:
    https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LWVEKS

MarshX and motorcivic thanked this.
  3. TheWalkman

TheWalkman Senior Member

Car(s):
    Too many
    I have a '16 and have had a couple of strange battery issues.

The first instance (Summer of '18, I parked my car, came back a couple of hours later and it was dead. I'm virtually positive I didn't leave any electrics on. I got a jump and everything was fine.

Second time, the car presented as a dead battery. The key fob wouldn't open the doors, the valet key wouldn't open the door either! Had to call AAA lockout service. (Yes, I tried my second fob to unlock the door and nothing.) The tow guy jimmied the door. and my car started up.

My battery tested out at 85% capacity so I don't think that's the issue.

I think the first gen electronics on the '16 have some persistent bugs that Honda has never fixed.

That said, I am curious to see how long our OEM battery should last. I received a Honda flyer today and they were bragging about getting a Honda OEM battery that lasts 100 months. A battery with an 8+ year warranty seems a bit long. Call me a skeptic.

4. shoegazer

shoegazer assistant to the assistant manager

Car(s):
    2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
    Well... that warranty will get you back in the doors. That's half the battle. I'm sure they have done the math.

Hope your other gremlins get better.

5. OP
    OP
    motorcivic

motorcivic Member

Car(s):
    civic-touring
    I went and ask AutoZone to check my battery and it shows 100% charged but bad battery...The car is just 3 years old and Now I think I have to replace it, as winter coming soon..so disappointed from Honda battery...why only 3 years and I just commute in city...it will be about 300 dollars! , since 3 year warranty also is just finished... Very good timing!

6. shoegazer

shoegazer assistant to the assistant manager

Car(s):
    2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
    I've had decent luck with Autozone's Everlast or Duralast mid-grade (not the AGM) battery.

If it tested bad (not enough capacity); I'd definitely replace it before the cold weather.

motorcivic thanked this.
  7. modelyacht

modelyacht New Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic Sedan EXT
    I have read a number of posts here about batteries going "bad". I do wonder if any of these folks have checked the levels in the battery and topped up the battery levels with some distilled water?

My 16 Civic battery was run low one night, and the levels were down. I added more water and charged up the battery, and that was about two years ago. I recently had a "dead battery" and again added water and charged it up, and battery and alternator tested out okay at Autozone. Two weeks later, no issues.

Seems if the battery is low it hasn't got enough charge, but topped up, it works just fine.

8. Videone

Videone Senior Member

Car(s):
    2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
    Mine sat for three days inside the garage and barely started. I charged it for a few hours. The next day I took it to Autozone and they checked it out...said the battery was still good. I took a quick look at my 2016 OEM battery and don't see where I would check the water levels.

9. Maroco

Maroco Senior Member

First Name:
    Martin
    Car(s):
    2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
    Honda batteries are notoriously bad. At least in my experience. Never got more than two winters out of one. And these 10th gen seems extra tempermental with battery voltage

10. julianzh

julianzh Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic EX-t
    Yea my 2016 battery only lasted 3 years and needed to jump start every other week with my portable booster. Now I switched to an AGM battery.

11. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
    #11 Gruber, Dec 6, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    I have that 100 month 51R in my CR-V since Nov 11 2013, more than 6 years ago. It survived 5 winters and is still cranking. The first (factory) battery was good for over 4 years, also Honda branded but probably a lower grade. So now, at more than 10 years of CR-V ownership, I'm on my second Honda battery.
    6 years sure, but 8+ years? Rather unlikely. They give the long prorated warranty just to make you come back to claim some credit, so they can charge you the high price again.

So, from my perspective, I don't see any problem with Honda 51R batteries. I suspect there might rather have been some issue with early cicvicx charging system (or discharging system:D)

My factory civic battery is not Honda brand. After almost 2 years I have never discharched it completely and it hasn't shown any signs of weakness yet.