Battery Died, how to get into car

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Hi,
I was out of the country for 4 months. My car battery died...so I can't get into the car. I tried opening the driver door with the key(from the fob) and it didn't seem to open. I have a bettery charger, so I just need to get into the car, open the hood and charge the battery. How can I do this?

Thanks!
Sponsored

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
I was out of the country for 4 months. My car battery died...so I can't get into the car. I tried opening the driver door with the key(from the fob) and it didn't seem to open. I have a bettery charger, so I just need to get into the car, open the hood and charge the battery. How can I do this?

Thanks!
The key should open the door.Call your dealership to see what they say.

OP
OP

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
So...it turns and does nothing. I'm just wondering is if that's because the car battery is dead.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So...it turns and does nothing. I'm just wondering is if that's because the car battery is dead.
That makes no sense. Did you try it in all the doors you can use it in?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That makes no sense. Did you try it in all the doors you can use it in?
Only the driver door has a key. Not even the trunk has a key. When I tried it on my car with a good battery, it does seem like there is no mechanical connection to the locks. It feels just like a switch.

LesS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Hi,
I was out of the country for 4 months. My car battery died...so I can't get into the car. I tried opening the driver door with the key(from the fob) and it didn't seem to open. I have a bettery charger, so I just need to get into the car, open the hood and charge the battery. How can I do this? Thanks!
Hi Ken, If you have added a power amp to your car and if the power wire from the amp to the battery is run under the hood beside the hood release cable, this might work: Remove the 2 phillips screws holding the left side plastic inner fender liner. Try to pull the fender liner down a little so you can grab the amp power wire. If that won't work, you could drill a hole in the plastic liner, but I would do that only if you knew exactly where the amp power wire was run. If you can get the amp power wire out, connect it to the plus side of a small battery charger (and connect the negative side of the charger to the car frame) and trickle charge the battery. In an hour or two, the car battery should have enough juice so you can open the car door with the key. Then you can charge the battery.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hi Ken, If you have added a power amp to your car and if the power wire from the amp to the battery is run under the hood beside the hood release cable, this might work: Remove the 2 phillips screws holding the left side plastic inner fender liner. Try to pull the fender liner down a little so you can grab the amp power wire. If that won't work, you could drill a hole in the plastic liner, but I would do that only if you knew exactly where the amp power wire was run. If you can get the amp power wire out, connect it to the plus side of a small battery charger (and connect the negative side of the charger to the car frame) and trickle charge the battery. In an hour or two, the car battery should have enough juice so you can open the car door with the key. Then you can charge the battery.
If the Battery is really FLAT

then if the car cannot be unlocked with the key, because it's really an electronic switch, as opposed to a mechanical linkage, then a worthwhile accessory might be an externally accessible recharging port. ??
Sponsored