Batteries in the civic x

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Here is my 2 cents...

These cars use Group 51R batteries. My wife's car is an Acura TSX and uses the same battery. The battery would die every 2 years. Even a DieHard battery died.

So, last time it died, I decided to check with Consumer Reports to see what they recommend. They have different recommendations for each battery group.

It turns out the DieHard did not even make the cut. The top recommended brand for Group 51R is Duracell! I didn't even know they made car batteries. But they sell them at a store called Batteries Plus Bulbs.

When I brought it in for an oil change, Acura did a test on the battery and said it was "better than new"!

So, I will be replacing my 2016 Honda Civic battery before the winter with a Duracell.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Duracell is manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing Co., Lyon Station PA.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd buy a battery at Wal-mart. 3 year free replacement, 5 year pro-rated warranty. Competitive price.

Just make sure the battery you get hasn't been sitting on the shelf very long. There's a month and year sticker on each battery.

They should be charged every four months or so. I wouldn't trust the Wal-mart folks to perform periodic charging.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Tn isnt a cooler state for a Tennessean either! 105 to 115 heat index here in Memphis....ugh
Actually, I believe Tennessee may feel hotter in the summer than Florida. The humidity is often extreme here, and usually no wind, while Florida tends to have more often some sort of wind or breeze.
Right now is what I consider a beautiful weather, because the humidity is unusually low, but it's still ~95 F and something called RealFeel is 104 F. ( I don't trust these "feels like" things... it should be called Misery Index and not be in temperature units).

Still, I don't give my CR-V battery more than 15% chance of surviving this (7th!) winter. (It's a 500, not 410 CCA Honda-branded battery).

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
$135 / 7 years = $19 per year

Less than one tank of gas per year.

Batteries are a small cost of operating a car. Just don't want to be stranded.

Would be nice if the display provided a % of charge indication for the battery.

You can always open the hood in the morning before 1st start and measure the battery voltage. Not quite an open circuit voltage but fairly close.

12.6 volts would be considered 100% charge.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I needed to jump start my car a couple times in the last two months. Finally decided swapping it out for an AGM battery from Advances Auto Parts. I guess 2016 Civic battery starting to die out.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
My Civic came with a group 35 550 CCA battery which is the same as my wifes Crv. The 51r is marginal at best and I can't imagine you'd need much more than a battery tray and possibly hold downs to upgrade to one.

Upgrading to a larger and higher capacity battery is a wise investment and something I usually do. We bought a larger AGM for our previous vehicle and 6 years later still performed as new when we sold it.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My Civic came with a group 35 550 CCA battery which is the same as my wifes Crv. The 51r is marginal at best and I can't imagine you'd need much more than a battery tray and possibly hold downs to upgrade to one.

Upgrading to a larger and higher capacity battery is a wise investment and something I usually do. We bought a larger AGM for our previous vehicle and 6 years later still performed as new when we sold it.
I guess in the cold winters of Canada, you need the bigger battery. Maybe I will look into doing the swap.

First Name
Hari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
My 18 ex civic had a bad stock battery I just replaced under warranty. Had trouble jumping it one day, autozone read "bad cell."
Sponsored