jacobegg

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So my goal is to get a 27won intake here soon. I know the Hondata basemap (for stock intake) will work just fine. BUT I’ve heard getting a custom tune for my car would be well worth it.

Side note I do plan on getting a fp/dp in the future.

so my question is does anyone out there have a custom tune with a close to stock car? Is it worth it or should I wait till I have more bolt ons?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly custom tuning by a reputable tuner is always better than a generic tune, even on a basically stock car. If you add numerous bolt ons, it's almost a must do. Not so much for ultimate power but to tune correctly for your mods.

OP
OP
jacobegg

jacobegg

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Honestly custom tuning by a reputable tuner is always better than a generic tune, even on a basically stock car. If you add numerous bolt ons, it's almost a must do. Not so much for ultimate power but to tune correctly for your mods.
Interesting. There’s a reputable tuner that we have in town that is strictly Honda and Acura. And I’m really debating on getting a custom tune but I don’t want to keep paying to redo it every time I get a new bolt on

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What is considered a "custom" tune? Are we talking about Dyno tuning? Hondata's maps are well calibrated. +9 makes 233hp/272tq on 91, more with 93 octane if you're looking for more power.

OP
OP
jacobegg

jacobegg

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
What is considered a "custom" tune? Are we talking about Dyno tuning? Hondata's maps are well calibrated. +9 makes 233hp/272tq on 91 if you're looking for more power.
Sorry yea I mean dyno tuning. I don’t have +9psi as as option for my basemaps as I don’t have an Si

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are close to stock and have plans to add more bolt ons, getting a custom tune after those modifications is probably the better route unless money isnt really an issue.

Custom tune is highly recommended if you have changed any of the following:

Intake with a different maf housing size
Flex fuel kit
Downpipe/front pipe
Turbo upgrade

Not sure how much tuners around you charge but around my area it's about 500-800 depending on the shop. So getting multiple retunes add up quickly.

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
If you are close to stock and have plans to add more bolt ons, getting a custom tune after those modifications is probably the better route unless money isnt really an issue.

Custom tune is highly recommended if you have changed any of the following:

Intake with a different maf housing size
Flex fuel kit
Downpipe/front pipe
Turbo upgrade

Not sure how much tuners around you charge but around my area it's about 500-800 depending on the shop. So getting multiple retunes add up quickly.
Bingo. The 27won intake has OEM sized MAF housing and is compatible with a stock ECU without tuning, so basemaps from hondata are perfectly fine to use. When you start adding parts that change the flow rate of air in or out of the engine (like front/downpipes) is when you should highly consider a custom tune from someone reputable. The purpose of custom tuning at that point is most importantly to attend to maximizing the safety of running these parts on your engine and your engines overall longevity, and second to that is squeezing out some more power without compromising that safety.
Sponsored