Back Pain

OP
OP

mgb0002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
I’m familiar with lkq, the $350 included shipping???
No, I didn't include shipping as that can vary from a little to a lot, or nothing if you luck out and can source them locally.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
I find this whole thread interesting. Have not had back pain from a car though - yet. Had it from auto accidents. Went to a Chiropractor. What helped most was a couple of things. #1 - get a thin wallet. Sitting on a big wallet not good. The Chiropractor used a Stim device. #2. https://www.amazon.com/TENS-7000-Digital-Unit-accessories/dp/B00NCRE4GO It helped and avoided the cost of the doctor. They make units now the size of a small iPod.

I have had lumbar support in a car and without. I don't doubt the car. Everyone's experience is different. Just offering up options. Just Google thin wallets. That helped as well.

JudgeCrater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Ridgeline, Accord
Country flag
I had the same problem with my 2016 Touring. I cut a piece of firm foam about 16x3x2 and place it as a lumbar support and my back pain was cured.

Robin

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I had a several Camaros & a Corvette, but that was years ago. Those “sit-on-the-floor” seats don’t bother young bodies too much. And years ago older people bought big cars which had big seats because there was no such thing as compact cars. Older people didn’t buy a Civic, they bought an Olds or a Buick.

I looked at a Nissan Altima which I thought had a short seat cushion & therefore lack of thigh support which was uncomfortable for me. I discussed the short seat situation with the sales manager & he knew what I was talking about. He said a customer bought a new car & came back a couple weeks later & wanted to change seats, but the dealer could not help him.

Nowadays people of all ages are buying small or midsize cars & SUVs and most of the these have small seats.

It’s not a matter of entitlement. People didn’t change - the cars changed & shrank. You can’t put a big a (or what used to be normal size) seat in a small vehicle.
Good points. However, I am in my late 50s and my previous 2015 VW Golf had very comfortable smaller seats for my 4 hour commute. That car had an electric adjustment for the seat back, which the Civic lacks.
In my Civic the recline choices are too far apart and my preferred angle would be between 2 of the settings. Add the low seating position to avoid hitting the sunroof and the lack of padding in the seat bottom, and the discomfort is inevitable. I am considering trading. Great car, spoilt by the seating.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Good points. However, I am in my late 50s and my previous 2015 VW Golf had very comfortable smaller seats for my 4 hour commute. That car had an electric adjustment for the seat back, which the Civic lacks.
In my Civic the recline choices are too far apart and my preferred angle would be between 2 of the settings. Add the low seating position to avoid hitting the sunroof and the lack of padding in the seat bottom, and the discomfort is inevitable. I am considering trading. Great car, spoilt by the seating.
That's another thing - the sunroof. It affects headroom if you're tall, & usually forces me to sit too low. I don't want to sit on the floor anymore. Headroom obviously varies between car makes & models. Problem is a sunroof frequently comes as part of package that has power seats. I get power seats for comfort & then have to sit too low due to the sunroof. A sunroof must be a popular item because dealers order cars with them even when it's a separate option. I think it must be a "luxury" feature. But personally I don't know anyone that uses them.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I find this whole thread interesting. Have not had back pain from a car though - yet. Had it from auto accidents. Went to a Chiropractor. What helped most was a couple of things. #1 - get a thin wallet. Sitting on a big wallet not good. The Chiropractor used a Stim device. #2. https://www.amazon.com/TENS-7000-Digital-Unit-accessories/dp/B00NCRE4GO It helped and avoided the cost of the doctor. They make units now the size of a small iPod.

I have had lumbar support in a car and without. I don't doubt the car. Everyone's experience is different. Just offering up options. Just Google thin wallets. That helped as well.
Does having a car with adjustable lumbar support help much? I went to a chiropractor also....it was interesting. They did orientation where we ate junk food, and watched videos on how great chiropractic care is. Next, I was taken into a room and had my neck cracked by a guy half my size. It was my first time and thought I was going to die, considering that's how they kill people in movies. Honestly, I think stretching/exercise helped more.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Does having a car with adjustable lumbar support help much? I went to a chiropractor also....it was interesting. They did orientation where we ate junk food, and watched videos on how great chiropractic care is. Next, I was taken into a room and had my neck cracked by a guy half my size. It was my first time and thought I was going to die, considering that's how they kill people in movies. Honestly, I think stretching/exercise helped more.
I find an adjustable lumbar helps me. It does seem to take a bit of trial & error adjustment to get it just right.

Robin

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I have “fixed” my seat by adding stacked washers around the bolts that fasten the rear of the seat to the car. This has raised the seat back, flattened the seat bottom angle and altered the backrest angle. Now pressure is taken off my bottom and my weight is redistributed to my legs (no longer sat in a hole). I can also comfortably hold the wheel and the backrest angle is correct for me. Comfort at last.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I have “fixed” my seat by adding stacked washers around the bolts that fasten the rear of the seat to the car. This has raised the seat back, flattened the seat bottom angle and altered the backrest angle. Now pressure is taken off my bottom and my weight is redistributed to my legs (no longer sat in a hole). I can also comfortably hold the wheel and the backrest angle is correct for me. Comfort at last.
Glad you were able to fix things & get comfortable.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Just order a back support "pillow". Is this even something to post on a forum? Smh...

Vmac

First Name
Vance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
It’s not a matter of entitlement. People didn’t change - the cars changed & shrank. You can’t put a big a (or what used to be normal size) seat in a small vehicle.
Au contraire... the people did indeed change. Check the obesity rate in America. And not just physically -- while I think it is silly to stereotype various "generations", I do think we as a whole have become consistently more spoiled. Not necessarily a bad thing, and not necessarily in the ranting child sense... rather, our expectations and level of acceptance is far different than a few decades ago.

No complaints about my Civic SI seats. Even though they <gasp> aren't leather!
Sponsored