Back Pain

mgb0002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
I'm looking for suggestions on how to correct my backpain before resulting to trading in the car and loosing ~$4k in the process.

I've had my 2018 Civic Sport since August and have 5600 miles on it. I have never experienced back pain until purchasing this car. I've tried high/low, vertical/reclined seating positions and cannot seem to correct the issue.

I took a break from driving the vehicle for about about 10 days (returned to my Saab) and the pain went away. After driving the Civic again for a day the pain has returned.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I really enjoy the car all things considered, but I can't spend the next 10 years with lower back pain.

Just to tell you my build, I'm 6'0" 140lbs fit male, so I don't think my core strength is the problem. Most likely I think I am sitting wrong on a posterior muscle that is then registering as ""back pain".
Sponsored

Last edited:

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Time to bolt notoriously comfy SAAB seats into the Civic!

ok, that may not be ideal. Bummer about the seats. I had similar challenges with my Si seats until I broke the bolsters in, but I think you have a slightly different issue. I also believe in part its due to the seat heights low relation to the floor.. You sit "flatter" in the civic than say, an SUV where those are more like dining room chairs.

Have you tried a small bolster/lumbar pillow? those beads from old taxis? Maybe research if other Honda seats (accord, cr-v) are more comfy and could be swapped?

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Mackinze roll or something like that. My si hurts my back more than normal too. lol

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I had to adjust the seat height several pumps so I'm angled more "forward," and that seemed to help a lot. My first two days, I was fearing that the seats I initially thought I loved would come at a heavy cost of enduring very much aching back strain (I can only describe it the same way as you did: like I was just "sitting wrong" and it was affecting my muscles in the process).

I'm only on my sixth day of owning it, but I think I have found the right sitting position for now. I may play with it again if I find some form of discomfort after a long 4+ hour trip I will have in the coming weeks, or when stuck in traffic for a long time needing to stop-and-go with my stick-shift.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
My pain is work related but sitting in this car for more than 30 minutes makes it worse. I sat in my moms 03' Grand Marquis the other day and the lumbar support was amazing. I'm 32 and 6'3" 220lbs, this car makes me feel like an old man when I climb out of it. I think the seats in this are designed for a 5' person, not us tall people. The only thing I found helpful is stretching everyday, strength training, naproxen when needed, and going for long walks. Also, got a back brace on Amazon for $20 that really helps out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mgb0002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, keep 'em coming.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, keep 'em coming.
In 4 months ownership of a 2018 SI, I have found.

(1) Driver's seat is more comfortable than passenger seat. Maybe because it's height is adjustable - maybe because as the driver, you have the steering wheel to hold onto.
(2) A a passenger, I am very aware of having to balance supporting my head relative to my body, especially when going over bumps. Once again, as a driver, the steering wheel helps.
(3) Keeping pockets empty helps a lot with the pressures from the side bolstering.
Over time, the side bolstering seems to be getting a little more giving, and breaking in.
(4) Seats are lower than my other older car, so legs are out straighter in the Si.. takes some getting use to.
(5) If there was some upper back / neck/head support, that might take the stress off the upper back and neck.
(6) Do not really get much back ache on long trips, but my backside does tend to go numb after about 30 minutes.

The good news is that I seem to be getting use to it, and the discomfort from the seats seems to be decreasing every month... or maybe I am just getting use to it.

I am 5ft 11 and 180lbs. In the passenger seat, my head is just about touching the roof, and is annoying as my hair brushes on the roof. The only way to get my head lower, is to slope the seat back a bit.. but that becomes uncomfortable in no time at all.
In the drivers seat, which seems that it can be lowered, lower than the passenger seat, the hair brushing is not such an issue.
I can imagine if I was taller, it would be a more significant issue, unless I was bald !!.

It's my wife's car, and she loves it .. and if she is happy, then I am happy .. especially when I get to drive it.. its a fun can to drive. What is not so fun are some of the idiots out on the road these days !!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 6'1", 200 lbs. and I find them to be mostly comfortable but not so much on a longer drive. One of the great things about the EX-L is the power seat. I find myself adjusting it while driving to find the most comfort.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
I'm looking for suggestions on how to correct my backpain before resulting to trading in the car and loosing ~$4k in the process.

I've had my 2018 Civic Sport since August and have 5600 miles on it. I have never experienced back pain until purchasing this car. I've tried high/low, vertical/reclined seating positions and cannot seem to correct the issue.

I took a break from driving the vehicle for about about 10 days (returned to my Saab) and the pain went away. After driving the Civic again for a day the pain has returned.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I really enjoy the car all things considered, but I can't spend the next 10 years with lower back pain.

Just to tell you my build, I'm 6'0" 140lbs fit male, so I don't think my core strength is the problem. Most likely I think I am sitting wrong on a posterior muscle that is then registering as ""back pain".
Btw just wanted to mention, 140lbs is very light for 6 feet. I'd say almost underweight in terms of supporting skeletomuscular stuff. Although I do find the seats a tad lacking over long trips, I wouldn't knock some core strengthening and targeted stretches and exercises to correct any posture issues (like rolled shoulders for example, very common for lanky people)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I think this is the key here. Proper back pain is not my problem unless I spend a long time in a contorted position (not just sitting) or maybe carrying a load for hours. I don't have any use for lumbar support.
But still on long drives in different cars I sometimes had pain in the legs starting from the "posterior muscle" through thighs down to the calfs.
I attribute it to a combination of pressure and blood flow issues. Small and not so small cars, in particular japanese, often have way too short, low seats and not enough padding. Since just changing position helps, I want the most adjustments possible in the driver's seat. At the end of a long trip I keep wiggling and changing all possible seat angles. I also always have a seat pad which I can use or not for a change. And I turn the cruise control on and off. The other solution would be to get a large truck or luxury vehicle with a serious comfortable chair.

I believe that with this sort of problem the size of the glutaeus maximus is crucial. This can vary widely in different people regardless of weight. My theory is that larger ass is better (for the purpose of car driving). It seems like women on average are less affected by the driver's pain in the ass.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I think this is the key here. Proper back pain is not my problem unless I spend a long time in a contorted position (not just sitting) or maybe carrying a load for hours. I don't have any use for lumbar support.
But still on long drives in different cars I sometimes had pain in the legs starting from the "posterior muscle" through thighs down to the calfs.
I attribute it to a combination of pressure and blood flow issues. Small and not so small cars, in particular japanese, often have way too short, low seats and not enough padding. Since just changing position helps, I want the most adjustments possible in the driver's seat. At the end of a long trip I keep wiggling and changing all possible seat angles. I also always have a seat pad which I can use or not for a change. And I turn the cruise control on and off. The other solution would be to get a large truck or luxury vehicle with a serious comfortable chair.

I believe that with this sort of problem the size of the glutaeus maximus is crucial. This can vary widely in different people regardless of weight. My theory is that larger ass is better (for the purpose of car driving). It seems like women on average are less affected by the driver's pain in the ass.
Yes, small and padded is better than big & bony !!

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sitting on your wallet?
I can’t do that anymore.
Causes sciatica and severe ass cheek pain.
Ditching the wallet from the back pants pocket has been a real game changer for this semi-old fart.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can’t do that anymore.
Causes sciatica and severe ass cheek pain.
Ditching the wallet from the back pants pocket has been a real game changer for this semi-old fart.
I find the seats in my Touring to be very comfortable even on long road trips.
Sponsored