First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same issue here. I was getting an oil change at the dealership today and they pointed it out. Right Axle seal is leaking. Luckily I have the extended warranty that is covering it.

The car is 3 years old with 24,000 miles on it.

My appointment to get the warranty work done is a week away. The dealership didn't seem to think it needed to be done right away but since it was covered they told me I should just have it done. Should I take it easy while driving or try to avoid driving until it's fixed? It wasn't clear to me how serious these types of leaks are.
I'm not sure my self, but I'd assume the dealer would tell ya If its not safe to drive.
Sponsored

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dropped my car off at the dealer last night and got a call 8min into the tech time s
Honda Civic 10th gen Axle shaft bearing leaking fluid 20191022_184714
lot this morning... Honda could find no damage or fluid, in fact they made a point of saying it was very dry under there. Am I cray-cray?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dealership is refusing to replace my axel. They told me it wasn't oily. Then they told me it was dirty oil splashed during my last change. At explanation 3, that my aftermarket downpipe (on the other side of the engine) is melting grease which never congeals when cooling off and stays oil, I told them I'm contacting Honda America and called them out on refusing warranty obligations.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
contacting honda america is a good decision, but you should have just kept your mouth shut at the dealer and not told them about that,

you don't want to burn your bridge with the dealer, they are not going to be very kind or willing if you have future warranty claims
I hear ya. But they've displayed themselves to be incompetent and untrustworthy. I'll only use a dealership when I have to and for warranty stuffs. They're contractually obligated to do what I need them for. If they don't... They'll regret it in the end.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The tech literally threatened me with extortion this evening! I'm livid.
The dealership refused to perform the work under warranty, saying there is no issue, yet blamed this non-issue on my aftermarket downpipe (on turbo models this is on the exact oppposite side of the engine as the Axle) after having zero proof and already revised their explanation for inside-part fluid being outside a part 2 other times. They called out my pipe on the work order, so what can happen if I sign that to get my car back is they then have my signature acknowledging what they wrote and they can freely void my warranty. Again... No evidence. They're now saying it's grease for goodness sake.
I refused to sign and they refused to give me my car. I told them that was my only car so don't even think about clawing back the loaner. The tech then said the car is done, that's final, and they are in the right to have me arrested for either refusing to remove my vehicle from their lot or for stealing their loaner, or both. I told him he was actively threatening to extort me, if he hadn't crossed into actual extortion with that, and it seems clear we don't agree but they can either remove the lie about my pipe now, or regret later not having done so.

They chose regret. I tried. Gave em three chances. The gloves have come off in the most righteous of manners. They can have fun dealing with the State Attorney General now, whether I get my car back tomorrow or not. Mean malicious incompetence and greed gets no tolerance from me when I've been trying to talk it down at my own expense and frustration all week.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Saw the same thing today during oil change on my '16 EX-T. I wiped it though. Will be calling dealer to take a look as it's still under CPO warranty.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Saw the same thing today during oil change on my '16 EX-T. I wiped it though. Will be calling dealer to take a look as it's still under CPO warranty.
Good luck. Seriously. I received an evolving story and threats.

OP
OP

Si.R.Red

First Name
Westin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic Si sedan
Country flag
Wow. The before/after assembly mount... Looks better quality. Also different (guessing 2.0L) from @Si.R.Red 's Si or my CVT mount.
I also have an Axle related issue. A failing exhaust hanger too. I'm going to the dealership for recall updates and a re-up on interior protectant in the next month anyway. My issue doesn't look quite like the two pictured above.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/1-5l-cvt-cv-axle-leak.42674/
What is the interior protectant? Im a big guy so my drivers seat fabric is almost worn through in a spot.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the interior protectant? Im a big guy so my drivers seat fabric is almost worn through in a spot.
Zurich Shield. The dealership shoved a bunch of contingent purchase orders into the folder they have me when I purchased so I had conflicting coverage lengths in my records. I asked Zurich and I have a 7 year coverage on my leather. Pretty much anything but neglect and purposeful abuse is covered.

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
Had my warranty work done today. Here is the write up. It was supposed to be done last Friday but one of the parts they ordered was defective. This was all covered under an extended warranty at no cost to me.

Honda Civic 10th gen Axle shaft bearing leaking fluid IMG_20191118_183011

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had my warranty work done today. Here is the write up. It was supposed to be done last Friday but one of the parts they ordered was defective. This was all covered under an extended warranty at no cost to me.

IMG_20191118_183011.jpg
+5 karma point to you. Thank you!

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

IMG_20191118_183011.jpg
Can you confirm you have a 1.5L? Did your axle bearing, the one mounted on the engine that @Si.R.Red and I have posted pics of, look similar to ours when you took it in?

I'm really taken a back at how involved the work was in your case. I pegged $140 for a passenger front CV Axle assembly and a few hours to install and run a realignment. Draining the trans sounds wasn't something I would have expected for my repair (if it had been done). Can you add anything further?
Did you have clunking or other CV noises? I just found this aftermarket manufacturer's pdf but it's making a lot of sensations and sounds my car has made that had me fearing freed exhaust movement may just be my CV Axle is a problem other than the obvious inside-stuff showing up on the outside.
https://www.trakmotive.com/wp-conte...e-Noise-Sumptoms-of-a-Worn-CV-Shaft-02.17.pdf

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
Can you confirm you have a 1.5L? Did your axle bearing, the one mounted on the engine that @Si.R.Red and I have posted pics of, look similar to ours when you took it in?

I'm really taken a back at how involved the work was in your case. I pegged $140 for a passenger front CV Axle assembly and a few hours to install and run a realignment. Draining the trans sounds wasn't something I would have expected for my repair (if it had been done). Can you add anything further?
Did you have clunking or other CV noises? I just found this aftermarket manufacturer's pdf but it's making a lot of sensations and sounds my car has made that had me fearing freed exhaust movement may just be my CV Axle is a problem other than the obvious inside-stuff showing up on the outside.
https://www.trakmotive.com/wp-conte...e-Noise-Sumptoms-of-a-Worn-CV-Shaft-02.17.pdf
I do have the 1.5 liter. I don't have the ability to get under the car to take pictures at the moment and I didn't take any pictures before the warranty work, sorry.

I never really heard any sounds. This was a surprise when the dealer pointed it out during routine oil change.

I believe they drained the fluid because the gasket was compromised hence the leak and it was possible water/sand etc could have found its way in?

While I was waiting at the dealership, another person was told they have the same problem, the right axle seal was leaking. Hope you can get your issues repaired. Best of luck.

eugeneli5354

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Same issue here. I was getting an oil change at the dealership today and they pointed it out. Right Axle seal is leaking. Luckily I have the extended warranty that is covering it.

The car is 3 years old with 24,000 miles on it.

My appointment to get the warranty work done is a week away. The dealership didn't seem to think it needed to be done right away but since it was covered they told me I should just have it done. Should I take it easy while driving or try to avoid driving until it's fixed? It wasn't clear to me how serious these types of leaks are.
it is not critical to replace it right the way
i think i waited for 2 months
the function of bearing grease is to lubricate and cool the ball bearings
it doesnt really matter if the wear is accelerated since you are going replace it soon
Sponsored