Avoiding Heat Soak

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now, your IAT may be increasing; but what is important is your IAT2 (post intake charge temp).
It would be in the best interest to control that one better.
* Aftermarket grill design to allow more airflow into the engine bay (dissapate more radiating heat)
* A more efficient Intercooler
OR
* A more efficient Turbo
OR
Both IC & Turbo
@Hollywoo0220 Any aftermarket grill design you recommend for this effect to take place? I've looked since you posted this but haven't had a whole lot of luck. I was looking for something to enhance the incoming air where the stock air intake receives its air but found nothing.
Sponsored

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Currently running the Mishimoto intake without the box and PRL FMIC with Ktuner stage1. It's 105 here in Bakersfield,CA. My IAT1 is at 150 and IAT2 and 115. There is some power loss but not much you can do when its hot af.
In your case though, it's hard to say the power loss is due to the intake air temperature since the temperature of the air going into your engine is only 10 degrees hotter than ambient. That's actually fantastic. 105F Ambient vs 115F going into your engine. Your intercooler is kicking arse.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
EXCELLENT! Thanks for the link. I think I'll be picking up one of these in the near future. I want a fair amount of air moving past the turbo inlet pipe and engine bay in general, to keep things cooled off. Every little bit counts.

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
EXCELLENT! Thanks for the link. I think I'll be picking up one of these in the near future. I want a fair amount of air moving past the turbo inlet pipe and engine bay in general, to keep things cooled off. Every little bit counts.
I'm surprised you of all people haven't tried this yet!

Very easy and inexpensive mod--this is like the poor man's intercooler that has a way bigger return on investment than an IC or CAI while being easier to install than a turbo blanket and header wrap.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may sound a little bitchy in saying this but that Honda emblem space on the front of it bothers me. It does seem like the grill itself will allow some additional airflow through but if you look at the size of the emblem vs the parts that let airflow through, it's looks like it's blocking 1/5th of the airflow that could be going through if it wasn't there at all. The 'H' symbol part takes up three columns of space. I don't need a big red H on front of my car. It looks nice though. I'll hold off to see if I can find a version of this grill that is all for airflow. The grille is cool though. If I can't find one, I may stick with this one since it appears it may be better than stock.
Honda Civic 10th gen Avoiding Heat Soak pro-design-honeycomb-mesh-grille_lrg-

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I may sound a little bitchy in saying this but that Honda emblem space on the front of it bothers me. It does seem like the grill itself will allow some additional airflow through but if you look at the size of the emblem vs the parts that let airflow through, it's looks like it's blocking 1/5th of the airflow that could be going through if it wasn't there at all. The 'H' symbol part takes up three columns of space. I don't need a big red H on front of my car. It looks nice though. I'll hold off to see if I can find a version of this grill that is all for airflow. The grille is cool though. If I can't find one, I may stick with this one since it appears it may be better than stock.
pro-design-honeycomb-mesh-grille_lrg-jpg.jpg
Just do not not apply the emblem and smartly mark/drill your own inlets through the emblem placard?

2019SIRallye

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Sedan
Country flag
I'd consider replacing my grill if I could get one like the pro design without the emblem space.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.amazon.com/2016-2018-HO...695--1-1-5753--1&vehicleName=2017+Honda+Civic

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I ordered it right after you posted that too. Funny it said only one was left and to order soon and it still says it. o_O They probably just keep that up so people will feel like they got the last one.
Ah the strategies of capitalism lol

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Are there any risks of having these grills? More airflow is awesome but doesn’t that also mean more things (rocks, water) can fly in and potentially destroy something?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll soon find out the emblem-less grill will reveal another airflow blockage behind the emblem, namely the center support bracket for the grill. It's non-removable built into the bumper structure. Depending on the color of your car, it can be quite visible head on. It'll look better if you have a darker color car. Anyhoo, the aftermarket grill allows much better airflow into the radiator to cool down the innards. I prefer function over form any day, so no emblem and badge needed on this bad boy.

Honda Civic 10th gen Avoiding Heat Soak IMG_0500-3

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll soon find out the emblem-less grill will reveal another airflow blockage behind the emblem, namely the center support bracket for the grill. It's non-removable built into the bumper structure. Depending on the color of your car, it can be quite visible head on. It'll look better if you have a darker color car. Anyhoo, the aftermarket grill allows much better airflow into the radiator to cool down the innards.

View attachment 158697

Big thanks for the visual. My car is white as well. Guess I'll have to live with the center support in the back of it for now.

BTW: How are you liking your hood? I actually was looking for a hood with vents in it next, to help release heat out of the engine bay.
Sponsored

Last edited: