Averaging 24.7 mpg.....

healtoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After adjusting where I was shifting from 4K to 3k, advice from others on this forum, I am getting 6.7l/km city and 5.3 on the highway...not sure what that is in American but I think it’s good my previous 2.5 Jetta would do 9 highway and 12 city
Sponsored

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
I’ll just follow your post with a nugget learned long ago driving Porsche’s. Brakes are far cheaper than clutches.

If it makes you happy go for it, but brakes are far more powerful than the engine.
Paul

And I never suggested you put the car in neutral to coast down a mountain pass!

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Sooo who checked their tire pressure after reading my post?

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ll just follow your post with a nugget learned long ago driving Porsche’s. Brakes are far cheaper than clutches.

If it makes you happy go for it, but brakes are far more powerful than the engine.
Paul

And I never suggested you put the car in neutral to coast down a mountain pass!
Brakes are more powerful than the engine for sure, but the point actually was that when you are anticipating needing to stop for a red light or a turn, it is advantageous to use fuel cut off as early as possible (depending on how far cars are behind you).

I bet that asian car drive trains are more durable than Ferrari's and especially cheaper. You are talking about a European car lol.

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
Guess we should agree to disagree. Anticipating a stop or upcoming turn your brakes will slow you MUCH faster than the engine ever will, select appropriate gear and go. But like I said if it makes you happy go for it.
Paul

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Guess we should agree to disagree. Anticipating a stop or upcoming turn your brakes will slow you MUCH faster than the engine ever will, select appropriate gear and go. But like I said if it makes you happy go for it.
Paul
Well Paul you did use an example of a Porsche, probably one of the highest maintenance cars around. A friend of mine owned a 930 Turbo, and that car was always in the shop. He went thru clutches like they were made out of paper. I owned a VW Rabbit and GTi and on the GTi I had to change the clutch almost every six to 9 months. I bought a 1995 Toyota Corolla with a 5 speed MT, drove it 130K in Southern California stop in go traffic, always used the engine to slow down (not to brake) and never changed the clutch once since I owned it. This car stayed in the family and was eventually passed down to my nephew who drove it like shit. 3 or 4 years ago he traded it in thru a program called Cash for Clunkers at over 200K, I think in all that time the clutch was only changed once. Yes I agree with you that brakes are for braking, but slowing down the car by going into a lower gear when going into corners etc should not harm the clutch or transmission in any significant way, that is unless it's a German car

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
After adjusting where I was shifting from 4K to 3k, advice from others on this forum, I am getting 6.7l/km city and 5.3 on the highway...not sure what that is in American but I think it’s good my previous 2.5 Jetta would do 9 highway and 12 city
You're doing nicely.
just over 35 MPG
and 44.38 MPG

VERY respectable numbers! Congrats.

Your Jetta was
just over 26 MPG
and 19.6 MPG

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well Paul you did use an example of a Porsche, probably one of the highest maintenance cars around. A friend of mine owned a 930 Turbo, and that car was always in the shop. He went thru clutches like they were made out of paper. I owned a VW Rabbit and GTi and on the GTi I had to change the clutch almost every six to 9 months. I bought a 1995 Toyota Corolla with a 5 speed MT, drove it 130K in Southern California stop in go traffic, always used the engine to slow down (not to brake) and never changed the clutch once since I owned it. This car stayed in the family and was eventually passed down to my nephew who drove it like shit. 3 or 4 years ago he traded it in thru a program called Cash for Clunkers at over 200K, I think in all that time the clutch was only changed once. Yes I agree with you that brakes are for braking, but slowing down the car by going into a lower gear when going into corners etc should not harm the clutch or transmission in any significant way, that is unless it's a German car
You just don’t want to give it up do you??? I said it was ok to disagree but you seemed to need to justify your downshifting. I’ll agree appropriate downshifts can be fun but don’t kid yourself that they are the fastest way around a track or the appropriate way to slow the car. On a track you either want to be full on the gas or full on the brake that’s it ( you need a double clutch transmission if you always want to be in the right gear and guess what they currently only come in cars costing $$$$$). If you do this on the street I don’t want to be anywhere near you.
Then you go off on how a Honda magically has a better clutch, while this site is littered with references the Si clutch is not up to any tuning and can be marginal stock??? Had a Gti, never had to change the clutch,had Saab’s, including 70’s Saab 96 (aka the slug) never changed a clutch, bunch of other standards same thing, Porsche 951 tweaked the boost and had clutch springs breaking (the coil springs that are intended to take up the shock) did the work myself (book tile is 20+ hours.)

Like I said you want to downshift because it makes you happy and you feel it makes you a wonderful driver have at it.
Paul

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You just don’t want to give it up do you??? I said it was ok to disagree but you seemed to need to justify your downshifting. I’ll agree appropriate downshifts can be fun but don’t kid yourself that they are the fastest way around a track or the appropriate way to slow the car. On a track you either want to be full on the gas or full on the brake that’s it ( you need a double clutch transmission if you always want to be in the right gear and guess what they currently only come in cars costing $$$$$). If you do this on the street I don’t want to be anywhere near you.
Then you go off on how a Honda magically has a better clutch, while this site is littered with references the Si clutch is not up to any tuning and can be marginal stock??? Had a Gti, never had to change the clutch,had Saab’s, including 70’s Saab 96 (aka the slug) never changed a clutch, bunch of other standards same thing, Porsche 951 tweaked the boost and had clutch springs breaking (the coil springs that are intended to take up the shock) did the work myself (book tile is 20+ hours.)

Like I said you want to downshift because it makes you happy and you feel it makes you a wonderful driver have at it.
Paul
Wow, I guess someone had a shitty day today. The Si's clutch was not designed for the overboosting from tuners where PSI is over 20, but is sufficient if you keep the car stock. That's all I will say and we can end it here so we can all move on so you don't have to answer anymore posts

EDIT

I just made a factual error. The stock Si clutch can handle boost up to 22 psi with no problems. After 23 psi people have reported slipping at 4000 rpm and above....

Last edited:

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I notice my mpg skyrocket the more I stay in gear and just let off the throttle. I coast down hills on the highway when no traffic is around, and sometimes downshift / Rev match but generally ill coast in gear and use the brakes to stop fully. I'll also try and anticipate redlights turning green so I won't have to start from a stop and try to keep the mpg gauge between 30 and 40 when I'm accelerating.

I'll usually get 30 to 32mpg on this blue si. My black one got better mpg but it could have been me, who knows. My blue one gets 2mpg less. I traded my 18 black in after an accident that should have totaled it, and this one is also a 2018 for reference.

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think he gets that DFCO and being patient leads to higher MPG.

The track is not the streets. You don't need to be on the brake if you are not on the gas. Even track people let the engine slow the car down is certain situations that don't need full braking power.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think he gets that DFCO and being patient leads to higher MPG.

The track is not the streets. You don't need to be on the brake if you are not on the gas. Even track people let the engine slow the car down is certain situations that don't need full braking power.
Downshifting works for me :)

captlwr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
ALL City driving since new - now at 6600 miles after one year - AVG MPG is 25.5 for the 6600 miles since I bought the car last January

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
6.6L/100km over 9200k (km). (35.6MPG/5700miles. This is the fuel economy on my "B Trip" which I use to monitor oil change frequency on MM. I was averaging 6L/100 (39.2MPG) in the warmer weather and summer tires. It is creeping up as the temps fall and I have winter tires on now. I drive 90%hwy with very few traffic signals.

captlwr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
2018 HB Sport Manual - long-time Manual Driver over many HP cars - since I drove it off Lot in Jan 2018 basically ALL City Driving with alot of traffic and stop&go - over 7000 miles driven my "computer" average it 25.2 MPG - only Shell 93 Nitro Plus since new - have done 2 Oil&Filter changes to date - Nitto INVO HP tires at 38 lbs. My 2012 Si did abut the same over the 4 years I had it in same conditions with similar eqpt except engine................
Sponsored