amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
How far is your commute? Short drives kill mpg. Are you hitting boost through every gear all the time? If driven lightly you can almost stay out of boost completely. Checked tire pressure? Cold weather hurts it too.
My commute is about 14 miles, some freeway and some non freeway depending on traffic. I am only hitting some boost if I need to pass or change lanes, maybe 1 to 4 psi, but it usually only lasts a second or two. I check my tire pressure once a month and I keep it has never dropped below 31 psi (I keep the tires 32 psi). In the summer months I was averaging between 27.9 and 31 MPG driving the same, so it could be the colder weather (it's about 45 F in the mornings)
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
If you're on the highway at 60-70 on a flat road and using cruise control, you should be getting about 40mpg. If not, something is wrong.

putnam_fc3

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2009 Suzuki Drz400sm
Country flag
I normally get ~25 all city. my commute is only about 15 miles a day if I just go to work and go out for lunch. I recently did a airbox mod and started getting closer to 30 but more than likely placebo and time will tell.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
* you're mileage may vary

The very caveat every manufacturer states. 28/38 mpg rated. I recall on older window stickers they would even say something to the effect of "most people will get 20-30 city and 30-41 highway. " Its within an acceptable range from the manufacturers standpoint, since conditions, maintenance, fuel used, air pressures, driving style all come into play.

https://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/basic-information-fuel-economy-labeling

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're on the highway at 60-70 on a flat road and using cruise control, you should be getting about 40mpg. If not, something is wrong.
No there is traffic so speed will vary from 40 mph to 70, but for short bursts. Also I use Waze so depending on traffic patterns it will put me on the freeway for a few miles than take me off. Today is Friday and in the Bay Area a lot workers work from home so there was a lot less traffic and I averaged about 25.2 mpg and I was actually driving a bit more aggressive trying to get around people who like to drive 50 in the left lane.

One other thing...about 2 months ago I changed my air filter from the stock OEM to a K&N filter. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I definitely get better performance after putting in the K&N

HotPaperPlate

First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was it doing that with the OEM air filter? Are you lugging the engine? Why are you down shifting when coming to a stop? Are you fueling up with 90+ octane? Maybe its time for an oil change.

kibz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm averaging about about 30-32mpg in the bay area. ~60 miles daily with roughly 60% highway and 40% city. I have summer tires and mostly normal driving.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Was it doing that with the OEM air filter? Are you lugging the engine? Why are you down shifting when coming to a stop? Are you fueling up with 90+ octane? Maybe its time for an oil change.
As I mentioned, when it was warmer I was getting much better mileage, I did not monitor my mpg directly after changing to the K&N filter. I never ever lug the engine and always stay within the mid power range (2500 rpm plus). I don't always downshift coming to a stop, but when I do it, it is mainly because that was what I was taught when I learned to drive manual in the 80's and sometimes habits are hard to break. Yes, I always fill up using 91 octane. I still have 40% oil life left according to the MM

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I would double check tire pressures are up to what your door panels say they should be at. IIRC I have my tires pumped to 34psi. It helps with deceasing rolling resistance. Especially with the temperature change, pressure will go down. I normally get 32 ish MPG

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I average right around 28mpg. My commute consists of either 35mph non crowded city roads or 50-55mph highways with some stoplights about a mile or two apart from each other, so I guess all would be considered almost city driving.

Sxcrates

First Name
Socrates Molano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you check your trip history , I bet you it’s reading 30-35 mpg instead of 25 mpg

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you check your trip history , I bet you it’s reading 30-35 mpg instead of 25 mpg
No, I have not actually looked at the history, I have been looking at the real-time on the dash. Good idea, I will do that!

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
I’m getting 31 with only a couple tank in at this point. More short trips, commute is only 6 mi but back roads. I don’t lug it but I’m not generally shifting at 6k either, defiantly step in it mergin pg on highway.
Downshifting to slow while it can be fun is topically a waste when not racing, autocross etc. brakes are cheap and made for the purpose.
Paul
You do realize that when you're coasting in gear slowing down that the injectors are actually shut off right? This means coasting in gear while slowing down does save fuel over just using the brakes and leaving it neutral as for a car to idle, fuel is injected. Also, due to there being no fuel fired off, it allows for a bit more cooling while coasting in gear. This is really apparent when monitoring temps while coming down mountain passes. I've downshifted while slowing down for the last thirty years with zero ill effects. Plus, should an emergency arrive, I'm already in gear for evasive maneuvers which, I've used on multiple occasions getting out of the way of idiots on the road.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You do realize that when you're coasting in gear slowing down that the injectors are actually shut off right? This means coasting in gear while slowing down does save fuel over just using the brakes and leaving it neutral as for a car to idle, fuel is injected. Also, due to there being no fuel fired off, it allows for a bit more cooling while coasting in gear. This is really apparent when monitoring temps while coming down mountain passes. I've downshifted while slowing down for the last thirty years with zero ill effects. Plus, should an emergency arrive, I'm already in gear for evasive maneuvers which, I've used on multiple occasions getting out of the way of idiots on the road.
This is the way I learned to drive. From my first manual in 1984 to my last manual (before the Si) which was a 1995 Toyota Corolla. The Corolla lived on for almost 200K before it was traded in by my nephew for a Prius, I don't think I ever changed the clutch
Sponsored