2. OP
    amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT Operations
    First Name:
    A Mirza
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2018 Honda Civic Si
    My commute is about 14 miles, some freeway and some non freeway depending on traffic. I am only hitting some boost if I need to pass or change lanes, maybe 1 to 4 psi, but it usually only lasts a second or two. I check my tire pressure once a month and I keep it has never dropped below 31 psi (I keep the tires 32 psi). In the summer months I was averaging between 27.9 and 31 MPG driving the same, so it could be the colder weather (it's about 45 F in the mornings)

3. REBELXSi

REBELXSi Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic SI coupe
    If you're on the highway at 60-70 on a flat road and using cruise control, you should be getting about 40mpg. If not, something is wrong.

4. putnam_fc3

putnam_fc3 Member

First Name:
    Jordan
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2009 Suzuki Drz400sm
    I normally get ~25 all city. my commute is only about 15 miles a day if I just go to work and go out for lunch. I recently did a airbox mod and started getting closer to 30 but more than likely placebo and time will tell.

5. racer

racer Senior Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si sedan. I drive a manual not because it is easy.. but because it is fun
    * you're mileage may vary

The very caveat every manufacturer states. 28/38 mpg rated. I recall on older window stickers they would even say something to the effect of "most people will get 20-30 city and 30-41 highway. " Its within an acceptable range from the manufacturers standpoint, since conditions, maintenance, fuel used, air pressures, driving style all come into play.

https://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/basic-information-fuel-economy-labeling

6. OP
    amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

First Name:
    A Mirza
    Car(s):
    No there is traffic so speed will vary from 40 mph to 70, but for short bursts. Also I use Waze so depending on traffic patterns it will put me on the freeway for a few miles than take me off. Today is Friday and in the Bay Area a lot workers work from home so there was a lot less traffic and I averaged about 25.2 mpg and I was actually driving a bit more aggressive trying to get around people who like to drive 50 in the left lane.

One other thing...about 2 months ago I changed my air filter from the stock OEM to a K&N filter. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I definitely get better performance after putting in the K&N

7. HotPaperPlate

HotPaperPlate Member

Car(s):
    2018 Si Coupe
    Was it doing that with the OEM air filter? Are you lugging the engine? Why are you down shifting when coming to a stop? Are you fueling up with 90+ octane? Maybe its time for an oil change.

8. kibz

kibz Member

Car(s):
    honda civic
    I'm averaging about about 30-32mpg in the bay area. ~60 miles daily with roughly 60% highway and 40% city. I have summer tires and mostly normal driving.

9. OP
    amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

First Name:
    A Mirza
    Car(s):
    As I mentioned, when it was warmer I was getting much better mileage, I did not monitor my mpg directly after changing to the K&N filter. I never ever lug the engine and always stay within the mid power range (2500 rpm plus). I don't always downshift coming to a stop, but when I do it, it is mainly because that was what I was taught when I learned to drive manual in the 80's and sometimes habits are hard to break. Yes, I always fill up using 91 octane. I still have 40% oil life left according to the MM

10. kalvin126

kalvin126 Senior Member

Software Engineer
    Car(s):
    2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    I would double check tire pressures are up to what your door panels say they should be at. IIRC I have my tires pumped to 34psi. It helps with deceasing rolling resistance. Especially with the temperature change, pressure will go down. I normally get 32 ish MPG

amirza786 thanked this.
  11. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si, 2004 Mercury Sable, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
    I average right around 28mpg. My commute consists of either 35mph non crowded city roads or 50-55mph highways with some stoplights about a mile or two apart from each other, so I guess all would be considered almost city driving.

amirza786 thanked this.
  12. Sxcrates

Sxcrates New Member

First Name:
    Socrates Molano
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si Sedan
    If you check your trip history , I bet you it’s reading 30-35 mpg instead of 25 mpg

13. caspar21

caspar21 2018 Civic Si

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si
    i am currently 6.5l/100km (36.1mpg) overall.
    on snow tires mostly hwy.
    i am a longtime standard driver with skillz(observation, not bragging)

amirza786 thanked this.
  14. OP
    amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

First Name:
    A Mirza
    Car(s):
    No, I have not actually looked at the history, I have been looking at the real-time on the dash. Good idea, I will do that!

15. VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild Senior Member

Professional lawnmower racer.
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
    You do realize that when you're coasting in gear slowing down that the injectors are actually shut off right? This means coasting in gear while slowing down does save fuel over just using the brakes and leaving it neutral as for a car to idle, fuel is injected. Also, due to there being no fuel fired off, it allows for a bit more cooling while coasting in gear. This is really apparent when monitoring temps while coming down mountain passes. I've downshifted while slowing down for the last thirty years with zero ill effects. Plus, should an emergency arrive, I'm already in gear for evasive maneuvers which, I've used on multiple occasions getting out of the way of idiots on the road.