BrusqBorder

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
How much risk is there of damaging the transmission by shifting between Drive, Sport, and Low modes while moving? What about while accelerating?

In the manual (on page 96) it’s a little general about the possibility of damage:

When you change the shift lever from D to R and vice versa, come to a complete
stop and keep the brake pedal depressed. Operating the shift lever before the vehicle has come to a complete standstill can damage the transmission. Do not operate the shift lever while pressing the accelerator pedal. You could damage the transmission.
Is this a practice best avoided but nothing to worry about if I’ve done it just a few times? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
How much risk is there of damaging the transmission by shifting between Drive, Sport, and Low modes while moving? What about while accelerating?

In the manual (on page 96) it’s a little general about the possibility of damage:

stop and keep the brake pedal depressed. Operating the shift lever before the vehicle has come to a complete standstill can damage the transmission. Do not operate the shift lever while pressing the accelerator pedal. You could damage the transmission.
Is this a practice best avoided but nothing to worry about if I’ve done it just a few times? Thanks in advance.
That excerpt is only for going from D to R, vice versa. Going from D to S is ok to do when ever cause S is just a 'sportier' D. L on the other hand just make sure you are not already at a high RPM cause you don't want to over rev once you go to a lower 'simulated gear' ratio

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do it all the time.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Follow up question: Does anyone downshift through the gear modes when coming to a stop often?

I don't downshift to slow down when coming to a stop because in my head it puts unnecessary wear on the trans, I only downshift to accelerate because in my head this doesn't put as much wear on the trans. Is this something that people are doing and is this problem made up in my head?

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Follow up question: Does anyone downshift through the gear modes when coming to a stop often?

I don't downshift to slow down when coming to a stop because in my head it puts unnecessary wear on the trans, I only downshift to accelerate because in my head this doesn't put as much wear on the trans. Is this something that people are doing and is this problem made up in my head?
I usually start at S (especially if I want a fast take off) then put it in D when I've hit higher revs. I don't use it to slow down.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I usually start at S (especially if I want a fast take off) then put it in D when I've hit higher revs. I don't use it to slow down.
@simon_lefisch That's about the extent of my use with it as well since I hate how it sounds at low speed in D. I was just wondering if anyone else used it differently.

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag

Appreciate the question because I was also unsure of there being any risk of damage to the trans if shifting from "D" mode to "S" or vice versa while moving ? Thing is I've owned & driven sticks (two different pickups) for the past 30 years before buying this Civic hatch with the CVT in December and I'm planning on babying this sweet little Civic like I never did the trucks.

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Appreciate the question because I was also unsure of there being any risk of damage to the trans if shifting from "D" mode to "S" or vice versa while moving ? Thing is I've owned & driven sticks (two different pickups) for the past 30 years before buying this Civic hatch with the CVT in December and I'm planning on babying this sweet little Civic like I never did the trucks.
With the CVT, its ok to switch between D and S without damage since both are just driving profiles. If you are at low speeds, it would be safe to go to L which in motion. If you are going say 30+ MPH, going to L might over rev the engine.

The manual speaks specifically to D and R. You don't want to switch between the two for obvious reasons. Between D and S is ok no mater what. Going to S is a good way to increase engine braking or get more acceleration immediately.

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
With the CVT, its ok to switch between D and S without damage since both are just driving profiles. If you are at low speeds, it would be safe to go to L which in motion. If you are going say 30+ MPH, going to L might over rev the engine.

The manual speaks specifically to D and R. You don't want to switch between the two for obvious reasons. Between D and S is ok no mater what. Going to S is a good way to increase engine braking or get more acceleration immediately.

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Appreciate the reply Kalvin, but here's another question kinda out of the blue, actually kinda random having nothing at all to do with Honda products.
You mentioned "engine baking", just what does that mean ? I live on the Texan Gulf coast where it's all driving on flat terrain, but because of my love of the mountains vacation often in the Rockies and frequently see while driving over mountain passes signs warning about using engine braking ? So what the hell is engine braking and anyway why the concern by the local authorities ? Thought you might know since you are in Cal.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Appreciate the reply Kalvin, but here's another question kinda out of the blue, actually kinda random having nothing at all to do with Honda products.
You mentioned "engine baking", just what does that mean ? I live on the Texan Gulf coast where it's all driving on flat terrain, but because of my love of the mountains vacation often in the Rockies and frequently see while driving over mountain passes signs warning about using engine braking ? So what the hell is engine braking and anyway why the concern by the local authorities ? Thought you might know since you are in Cal.
Engine braking is using gearing to slow down instead of the actual foot brake. You just take your foot totally off the accelerator pedal, and you're engine braking. Tada! It works in manuals (and automatics, but probably to a lesser extent) by cutting off the engine's supply of fuel while keeping it connected to the wheels, forcing the car to slow down. The CVT doesn't have actual gears, so that's why people here will recommend switching to S or L to engine brake; those two simulate gears more closely and let the RPMs climb high enough for engine braking to feel significant.

As for why it's discouraged on mountains, no clue. I'm also in a flat state.

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Engine braking is using gearing to slow down instead of the actual foot brake. You just take your foot totally off the accelerator pedal, and you're engine braking. Tada! It works in manuals (and automatics, but probably to a lesser extent) by cutting off the engine's supply of fuel while keeping it connected to the wheels, forcing the car to slow down. The CVT doesn't have actual gears, so that's why people here will recommend switching to S or L to engine brake; those two simulate gears more closely and let the RPMs climb high enough for engine braking to feel significant.

OK, that's all it is. Sure I'v owned and drove pickup trucks with sticks for the past 30 years before buying this Civic with CVT and did that all the time witht eh trucks. Hey learn something everyday, thanks fellow flatlander.
But thanks coopermidnight. I appreciate it !

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag

Gotta clear this up...

Engine braking (to "mansplain" further) uses the engine's internal friction (as drivers, we don't really care whether it's mechanical friction or pneumatic resistance) to slow down the car.

This helps in the mountains because you can regulate your speed on looooooong downhills without having to use the brakes. If you're on the brakes for ten or twenty minutes straight, they might overheat, and then you're SOL.

In manual transmissions, you'd achieve this by downshifting, of course. In older automatics, it's the same thing -- move the lever to "2" or whatever. In our CVT Civics, "S" or "L" will do the job (and in the Sport trims with paddle shifters, you can click down to a shorter ratio via the left paddle, too).

nunusguy, I haven't been on the same route, so I don't know exactly what warning signs you saw. But I've generally seen only two types -- signs to encourage engine braking (such as "Use Low Gear - Downhill 15 miles") and signs to prohibit it, the latter of which usually in residential areas to tell big trucks to not use their "Jake brakes" to avoid disturbing people in their homes.

So to dovetail this back into the original question, "Is it OK to shift between Drive and Sport while moving?" ---

Yup, it's fine, just like it was always OK to shift between D, 2, 1, etc., in traditional fully-mechanical automatics. It's even less of a concern now because the CVT is entirely computer-controlled and will not choose a ratio that'd cause the engine to over-rev. The capability to do this on-the-move is to allow engine braking (or, rarely, if the uphill is long and gradual, and the transmission can't decide for itself which ratio to use).

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag

Yeah, it's just in your head. ;)

I almost never touch the shift lever (or paddles, in my case) when coming to a stop. The CVT is always varying its ratios anyway, and it really doesn't need any suggestions from me.

The only exception is if I'm expecting to not stop, and I'm just slowing down to prepare for a turn or freeway ramp. I'll downshift to keep the revs higher, which helps keep the engine responsive when I get to the exit of the turn.
Sponsored