BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I apologize for the simplicity of the question but I can't find the answer in the manual.

The inside of the driver's side temperature control knob is labeled "AUTO".

AUTO what? The manual depicts it as the "AUTO Button" but never (that I can see) explains what it's Automating. Presumably it has to do with climate control, but what does it AUTO in that regard?

Thanks.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You set a predefined temperature, i.e. 72 degrees and it automatically adjusts the heater/AC/vents/fan strength according to exterior temperature and other factors. Changing any setting, i.e. fan strength, overrides AUTO and you're into manual control.

I leave mine on AUTO year-round, and just dial the desired temperature up or down.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
You set a predefined temperature, i.e. 72 degrees and it automatically adjusts the heater/AC/vents/fan strength according to exterior temperature and other factors. Changing any setting, i.e. fan strength, overrides AUTO and you're into manual control.

I leave mine on AUTO year-round, and just dial the desired temperature up or down.
Thank you.

I thought that's what I was doing just by setting the temperature. What's the difference between setting the temperature with and without pushing the AUTO button?

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Thank you.

I thought that's what I was doing just by setting the temperature. What's the difference between setting the temperature with and without pushing the AUTO button?
As #hobby-man mentioned, the Auto setting maintains the temperature that you set it at. If you set it at 72 then the car's system maintains that temperature. When your car gets to 72, for example, it will likely turn down the fan speed.

A good example is getting in a hot car. When set to AUTO, the car will automatically turn your HVAC system on to max cooling but as the car cools down it will turn down the fan and likely switch the system from "recycled" air to "Fresh" air at some point. If your car is not set to Auto, then none of that happens. Your system will not regular the temperature - the fan, for example, will blow indefinitely and will likely be cooler (or warmer) than whatever you have the temperature set at and it will be up to you to manually adjust all the settings.

Still puzzles me how the general public doesn't seem to get the usage of automatic climate control. If your car is set to "72" and it is "80" degrees outside, turning your car down to "60" is not (likely) going to cool the car down any faster than just leaving it at "72" and letting the system do it's thing. More times than not I get into someone's car and the "Auto" setting is disabled and they treat their HVAC system like the one's that were in the cars I learned how to drive in in the 80s.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Thanks, got it now. I was only thinking about temperature setting, not fan speed, recycling, etc.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The temp does not blow at one constant setting in these cars weather the auto function is on or off. Ex. Set at 72° the air may be warmer or cooler at any given time . Auto pretty much only works the fan and which vents on my car at least.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The temp does not blow at one constant setting in these cars weather the auto function is on or off. Ex. Set at 72° the air may be warmer or cooler at any given time . Auto pretty much only works the fan and which vents on my car at least.
Cars (except some luxury cars that may do whatever their designers can imagine) generally never regulate the temperature of the air blowing out of the vents. They in fact don't measure that temperature, and they can't control it. The control probe is located somewhere in the interior. The system turns on and off the compressor depending on that reading. (The newer compressors can be variable) Just like a typical home AC. Unless the control probe is placed in moving and mixed interior air stream, the system will not work precisely.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I never have the AUTO lit because I don't want varying fan speed. But it still works automatically without touching my fan speed.

The AUTO AC is not clearly described in the manual. The system should control the temperature automatically by varying everything it has for its disposal that you have not set manually. Namely: AC compressor on/off/variable, fan speed, outside air on/off, heater on/off. But if you set manually anything, the AUTO light goes off, even though it still automatically controls the temperature. For example, if you turn off the AC, it will still be controlling the temperature, as long as your setting is sufficiently higher than ambient. If you set the outside air to on, it should operate everything else but leave this alone.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Variable Displacement A/C Compressor

This model comes with a variable displacement A/C compressor. Compared to a standard A/C compressor that can only deliver a 100% stroke, this compressor can deliver a stroke anywhere from zero to 100%. The provides the following benefits:

Better acceleration and fuel economy
A more stable engine idle and less noise and vibration
More consistent temperature output

Don't know if the Auto function directly controls the stroke of the compressor.

The temperature sensor is located behind the kick panel below and to the right of the steering wheel. You can see some small horizontal slots in the plastic panel. The sensor is just behind these slots.

There is also a "sun" sensor in the center of the front portion of the dash adjacent to the windshield.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Call me an old fart at 30 years...I never use the auto fan function I prefer to manual set...typically high in winter and low in summer

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
No, auto blows hot air when ambien temp is cold and slowly reduces the temp as cabin temp increases over time. Hence the term "auto".

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
I have never seen a more confusing/complex thread on something so simple before..... or maybe its just the 24 hours with no sleep kicking in lmbo

Gm52380

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
This is my first car with Auto Climate Control. I never expected to enjoy the feature as much as I do. I always liked to have control over my HVAC. Seriously though, set it at 64-66 in the winter, and 70-72 in the summer and the car pretty much takes care of it all. I too really only find myself making adjustments to the temperature vs. going in and making any other adjustments. The sensors in the car are pretty good at figuring out what to do when...better than I thought it would do.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
As #hobby-man mentioned, the Auto setting maintains the temperature that you set it at. If you set it at 72 then the car's system maintains that temperature. When your car gets to 72, for example, it will likely turn down the fan speed.

A good example is getting in a hot car. When set to AUTO, the car will automatically turn your HVAC system on to max cooling but as the car cools down it will turn down the fan and likely switch the system from "recycled" air to "Fresh" air at some point. If your car is not set to Auto, then none of that happens. Your system will not regular the temperature - the fan, for example, will blow indefinitely and will likely be cooler (or warmer) than whatever you have the temperature set at and it will be up to you to manually adjust all the settings.

Still puzzles me how the general public doesn't seem to get the usage of automatic climate control. If your car is set to "72" and it is "80" degrees outside, turning your car down to "60" is not (likely) going to cool the car down any faster than just leaving it at "72" and letting the system do it's thing. More times than not I get into someone's car and the "Auto" setting is disabled and they treat their HVAC system like the one's that were in the cars I learned how to drive in in the 80s.
I never read the manual, but my practical observation was that AUTO gave you recirc only, and directed the air where it wanted. No fresh ever. Turn the AUTO off and you got fresh only, but it still regulated the temperature and fan speed and you could direct it where you want. I don't like hot air on my feet, so on cold days I had to turn the AUTO off because it would mix air to feet and chest.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Auto = automatic climate control = system works by itself to maintain desired climate / temperature

When auto is off, it will constantly blow air at the selected temperature and fan speed.

Pretty much all there is to it.
Sponsored