Audio Sistem

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
JL Audio 1st subs were free air. So no it doesn’t have to do with the type of enclosure or lack of enclosure the sub(s) are in. LOL
It's ALL about the enclosure with subs. A different size box will make the same sub sound completely different. While yes, some are designed to not need one, the enclosure definitely counts in most cases

Yeah a sub will pump bass in any scenario- but that's not to say it is always optimized.
Sponsored

BPF129

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's ALL about the enclosure with subs. A different size box will make the same sub sound completely different. While yes, some are designed to not need one, the enclosure definitely counts in most cases

Yeah a sub will pump bass in any scenario- but that's not to say it is always optimized.
Do you think there might be a way to figure out what specs the stock sub would work best in ?

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
Just so I am clear can I simply swap the tweeters and drivers in the doors with better aftermarket pieces and not worry about the headunit and stock amps doing some weird EQing to the outputs? I know for the sub that I had to use the LC2i to restore the bass frequencies to the signal output before feeding the line out signal to my external power amplifier.

Anyone have a recommendation on what component sets for and sound best in the R?

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Unfortunately not. In the front, the crossover between the woofer and tweeter is handled by the stock amp. As such, whatever you put in there, you will not be able to use the supplied crossover. I installed an Audison bitOne which sums the total signal and then outputs it. But then, you'd be getting into a pretty comprehensive upgrade (must also get an amp, etc).

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
Ah I thought so... these new fang dangled infotainment systems make upgrading so difficult. What happened to the simple systems where you could swap a headunit out and upgrade to aftermarket?

rebelthepit

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Ah I thought so... these new fang dangled infotainment systems make upgrading so difficult. What happened to the simple systems where you could swap a headunit out and upgrade to aftermarket?
The electronic manufacturers have always made factory systems along with their aftermarket systems. The aftermarket used to always have the most up to date features/technology and the factory sometimes was a few years behind with that same technology. The vehicle manufactures weren’t happy with that and they also were losing money not being able to offer the same features/technology the aftermarket was given. So the vehicle manufacturers succeeded by making proprietary data bus systems to control most functions of the vehicle including the car stereo. So companies that made aftermarket gear too were forced to get almost completely in bed with the vehicle manufacturers to make money and make systems for their new vehicles. This type of new relationship between them allows for new vehicles to get the best of both worlds as far as profit and the newest technology. It leaves not too many easy ways to upgrade your system unless a aftermarket company like Metra etc. comes out with system integrators. To be able to install aftermarket gear without possibly also losing factory features/functions (other than the car stereos features) you already have. This is the current state of car electronic’s integration.

Type Rocket

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP FK8 #2650
Country flag
Just so I am clear can I simply swap the tweeters and drivers in the doors with better aftermarket pieces and not worry about the headunit and stock amps doing some weird EQing to the outputs? ...
Anyone have a recommendation on what component sets for and sound best in the R?
As @alvav points out, you can't do a one-for-one swap, but I checked with a white noise track and PC-based signal analyzer and the full range 20-20khz is sent to the 6 1/2" door speakers. As such, you can wire a component set into this factory harness and run a separate wire from the component crossover to the tweeter location. The front doors get a lot more power than the rear doors, so you don't get much bang for your buck by replacing the rears, but you may want to do it for completeness. I replaced mine with Alpine R-S65Cs and the difference was very noticeable across the entire spectrum, but mostly at the extreme low and high ends and at higher volumes. I had to get a little creative with the tweeter mounting, but that will likely be the case with any aftermarket tweeter. For the sub, the biggest restriction is the 8" width and fairly shallow depth of the factory enclosure. I was able to stuff an Alpine R subwoofer into this box, but it took a lot of cutting and re-sealing to get it to fit. I would recommend the Alpine S or Kicker low profile instead (use Crutchfield's fitment tool).

Last edited:

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ST Hatch
Country flag
Is the 20-20k signal flat? (no eq)

David P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback 1.5l 182Hp manual
Country flag
Hi
I actually measured the frequency response in the car. I do not know if the speaker amp and filters are the same in europe and usa. My civic here received their 11 speakers set...
The response i get is not so bad at all at the driver seat : it goes from 50 Hz to the 20kHz and more with a rather acceptable room curve.
Any attempt to improve the response with the eq has degraded the response rather than improved it ! Confirmed by a pro doing only audio for cars.
I can publish it if anyone interested...
Indeed :
1 swaping for other speakers won t make it unless it s specs are very similar...because passive or active eq has been applied to the stock ones...the response might please subjective ears but it s not properly done if the eq and filtering are not suitable.
2 for the bass problem , namely having at least 30Hz and not 50, either the actual woofers are not capable of going down so low or they have been tuned to cut a 50Hz,.
As a JBL lover, along with many audiophile in the US i know the the five cubic foot boxes fed with a 15" woofers are now tuned higher by the japonese for their own market. It was not the case when JBL was american....

David P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback 1.5l 182Hp manual
Country flag
The Harman room curve is what you want
and the FRC in the civic with the 11 speakers measured at the driver seat and Head hight is this:
see how it dives after 50 Hz....
I said not so bad but still it is unaccepatble for an audiophile because of the deeps and bumps.... should be flatter....

But one can achieve good response with not so good speakers thanks to DSP....
Honda could probably have worked more on equilisation.... or hardware is so crappy that it was the best possible tuning !

Honda Civic 10th gen Audio Sistem HARMAN ROOM CURVE

Honda Civic 10th gen Audio Sistem FLAT EQ CIVIC

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Side note because you seem to know what you're talking about lol do you think the lack of any sort of 'box' for the sub also could do with the lack of oomph from it?
I have a JL Audio 8w3 in the oem box and believe me that sub hits hard even in the oem box and no rattles to be heard. The oem box is pretty good once sealed.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have a JL Audio 8w3 in the oem box and believe me that sub hits hard even in the oem box and no rattles to be heard. The oem box is pretty good once sealed.
I agree im runing the Alpine Type R on the oem enclosure and it really hits.

BPF129

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree im runing the Alpine Type R on the oem enclosure and it really hits.
Did you guys just replace the sub or the amp too ?

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Did you guys just replace the sub or the amp too ?
I replaced it all, added a 5ch amp and a dsp with new front speakers too.
Sponsored