Audio connectivity

ApolloOKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC EX-L 2016 w/SENSING
Hi. Since Honda Civic EX-L 2016 doesn't come with an AUX input jack, is there any way to connect an android smartphone through USB or other wired method and listen music while I'm driving? I prefer not to use WIFI or BT. I want to listen whatever comes out of the headphones output of my phone and not necessarily use the Android Auto app. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
If you set your phone to USB Mass Storage mode, I think it should show up just like a USB stick to your car and then you can play music from it via the headunit like you would a USB stick.

But no, I don't think your idea of using the headphone output can work since that is an analog output, and the Civic headunit has no analog inputs. The only way I can think to do that would be adding an aftermarket signal processor that has an AUX input. And that would then require an amp too (or a combo DSP/amp unit). I doubt you want to go to all that trouble.

Maybe someone else can think of another way, though.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I've tried to hook up my phone as a mass storage unit, and the car didn't recognize it (Samsung S5 running rooted, but stock). None of the USB options would make my music appear (I have 58 gigs of music on an SD card in the phone). Worked with my old head unit though (and took forever for the head unit to show the music, as there was so much of it, so possibly moot).

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I've tried to hook up my phone as a mass storage unit, and the car didn't recognize it (Samsung S5 running rooted, but stock). None of the USB options would make my music appear (I have 58 gigs of music on an SD card in the phone). Worked with my old head unit though (and took forever for the head unit to show the music, as there was so much of it, so possibly moot).
Newer versions of Android remove the option to treat the internal storage as mass storage.

Security issues I think.

OP
OP

ApolloOKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC EX-L 2016 w/SENSING
If you set your phone to USB Mass Storage mode, I think it should show up just like a USB stick to your car and then you can play music from it via the headunit like you would a USB stick.

But no, I don't think your idea of using the headphone output can work since that is an analog output, and the Civic headunit has no analog inputs. The only way I can think to do that would be adding an aftermarket signal processor that has an AUX input. And that would then require an amp too (or a combo DSP/amp unit). I doubt you want to go to all that trouble.

Maybe someone else can think of another way, though.
Thank you for your answers. I found different AD converters online. Does anyone know any type of USB/AUX converter that has been tested in a CIVIC? I have the feeling that CIVICs USB ports don't support audio streaming...It's ridiculous that HONDA excluded the AUX adapter in higher trims!
Sponsored