Attention potential or new hatchback owners

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a new hatchback and at 8000km I noticed a vibration noise.

Took it to the dealer and the dealer told me the tires were over inflated to over 50 psi for each tire. This caused my tires to feather as the normal psi should be about 32 psi. I never touched the tires since getting the car.

A user told me that they over inflate for shipping but the dealer may forget to deflate them. Check your psi if you haven't already.

I am sure most of you have checked but if you are dummy like me it's worth a look.
Sponsored

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a new hatchback and at 8000km I noticed a vibration noise.

Took it to the dealer and the dealer told me the tires were over inflated to over 50 psi for each tire. This caused my tires to feather as the normal psi should be about 32 psi. I never touched the tires since getting the car.

A user told me that they over inflate for shipping but the dealer may forget to deflate them. Check your psi if you haven't already.

I am sure most of you have checked but if you are dummy like me it's worth a look.
Mine were similar when I bought my hatch, after 3-4 days of driving the tire pressure indicator went off and when I checked them they were at 51psi.

I set them all to 37psi as I like to run my tires a bit stiffer and haven't had any issues since.

duraz0rz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - Sonic Grey
Country flag
Normal air pressure should be 35psi for the front and 33psi for the rear.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
Did you recalibrate the TPMS?
After seeing this thread I decided to do. High tire pressure apparently is not an alert tho

OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Did you recalibrate the TPMS?
After seeing this thread I decided to do. High tire pressure apparently is not an alert tho
No Canadian models of fits and civic don't have tpms

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I had already read that a few months ago and I checked them when I got home. Luckily they were only showing around 40. I used the Nitrogen at work and adjusted them by hand after that.

OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Sorry guys. First car and I assumed it will be all set up

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is why it's important to check your tire pressure at least once a month.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
To be fair, while the dealer should have checked, this is not exclusive to Honda at all. Tire pressure gauge is a part of me taking delivery of any vehicle.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a failure of the dealer PDI. They should have checked and adjusted tire pressure. This is standard for all new cars, not just hatchbacks. Talk to the dealer, and possibly send a note to Honda Corporate. Maybe they will remind their dealers to do a proper PDI.

fegan

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I took delivery with 50 psi as well, the 'low pressure' TPMS warning alerted me on my second day (about 60 miles). I rolled into the local Wawa (which has FREE air) and adjusted the pressure to 33/35 psi (I have a Sport Touring Hatchback) and all was good after Recalibrating the TPMS.

Why doesn't the dealer check this during dealer prep? They charge $699 to take some plastic off, run it through their car wash and fill the tank with gas...what else should they do? Why can't the check the tires and fill the washer fluid (took about 1/2 gal...so it was probably bone dry) during this dealer prep?
Sponsored