Armrest uncomfortable?

latexyankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
This will be subjective but I'm looking for some suggestions.

I find the drivers side armrest digging into my elbow. I tend to drive with left hand at about 7 oclock on the wheel. This armrest is actually causing me some slight elbow pain. I know there are memory foam type pads you can place on your vehicle armrest or office chair. I am looking for a company that makes these for specific models so everything lines up. Any suggestions or other ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I found the exact same issue as I also drive with my left hand in the same position. My forearm isn't long enough to get my elbow fully onto the armrest so I pull my left leg up with foot under the seat and knee against the door and rest my arm on my thigh. Still haven't perfected it but let us know if you find something that works.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does adjusting the seat height and steering wheel help?

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I played around with elbow position today and my arm just isn't long enough for my elbow to sit properly on the left armrest. I have to fingertip the steering wheel and then I can sit my elbow properly. I don't think a pad would help in my case. I may have to re-adjust things like the steering wheel position but right now it all seems to work right apart from the elbow.

bird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Yeah, I'm still playing around with figuring out the most comfortable driving position for me. In my '05 Civic I always rested my elbow on the door against the window. The finish on the plastic was even worn away there after 11 years. To do the same in the '16, my elbow would have to be up considerably higher and it's just not going to work. But I also can't rest my elbow on the lower part of the door, because then I can barely reach the wheel. Tilting the wheel down helped somewhat, and it's telescoped as far as it'll go.

So far the best I came up with is to leave my right hand up around 2:00 and rest my left hand down around 8:00. Then I'll switch to 10 and 4. At least that way my arms don't get tired at the same time. It still feels like my arms are "hanging" on the wheel though, and I really wish I could just rest my elbow on something.

OP
OP
latexyankee

latexyankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Yeah, I'm still playing around with figuring out the most comfortable driving position for me. In my '05 Civic I always rested my elbow on the door against the window. The finish on the plastic was even worn away there after 11 years. To do the same in the '16, my elbow would have to be up considerably higher and it's just not going to work. But I also can't rest my elbow on the lower part of the door, because then I can barely reach the wheel. Tilting the wheel down helped somewhat, and it's telescoped as far as it'll go.
This is really becoming a problem for me. I've had the car for 3 weeks and cannot find a comfortable position. I have to fingertip the whell as well, it could go a little lower but then my knees would rub. I need it to come out further as I have to sit all the way back cause I'm 6'2. I'm really starting to worry, I cant even sit still on my 30 min commute to work.

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
I usually wind up starting with my left arm on the top of the door and ultimately, it winds up on my lap holding the 7' on the steering wheel. My right arm can't even use the arm rest, I generally have a coffee mug behind the shifter to give my arm support.

The left arm hurts due to the hardness of the material, although, I also need to raise my seat up to give me more height so it is not angled down.
First aftermarket armrest that comes out which suits my needs, goes in.

OP
OP
latexyankee

latexyankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
If you look at my previous post youll see a link to a gelpad I bought on amazon...dont bother. While it does take some of the pressure off I've come to find that the armrest is just too low for me.

Ive always rested my left arm on the window sill of most my cars. In this civic its way too high and the armrest is way too low. Being tall i need the seat low and back. What causes discomfort is the way my elbow has hit the armrest in order to reach for the wheel and at this point im just fingertipping. I drive with that hand from 8-10 oclock. Anyway if i could gain some height on the armrest it would decrease the reach to the wheel by just enough. I ordered the elbow friend. This is about 1 3/4 in high, im hoping this does the trick.
Sponsored