Are there intakes that do not require a tune?

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hello everyone! This my first actual thread post so bear with me... A little bit on myself, I'm from Hawai'i. I've had my Si for a little over a year now and now I feel confident enough to modify my car. This is my daily, and so far my favorite car so far that I've owned (6th car lol)

I was looking at the MAPerformance CAI because the price is right, but I read on their website that their CAI requires a tune. I haven't purchased a tune yet, and I may want to in the future, but I am very content with the way the set up is stock. I was wondering if there is an option out there. Appreciate any help and thank you!
Sponsored

Maleton3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (Tonic Yellow Pearl)
Country flag
Hello everyone! This my first actual thread post so bear with me... A little bit on myself, I'm from Hawai'i. I've had my Si for a little over a year now and now I feel confident enough to modify my car. This is my daily, and so far my favorite car so far that I've owned (6th car lol)

I was looking at the MAPerformance CAI because the price is right, but I read on their website that their CAI requires a tune. I haven't purchased a tune yet, and I may want to in the future, but I am very content with the way the set up is stock. I was wondering if there is an option out there. Appreciate any help and thank you!
The only suggestion I have if you do not want to tune is going the route of the Cobra CAI by PRL with the Street MAF. Its a bit more expensive than the MAPerf one (10 or 20 dollars at most) but you wont require a tune at all as they kept the stock fuel trims and MAF size for the street version. I also believe the 27Won CAI is ready to go without a tune also. Neither of those options should throw a light. Tunes on these will make them much better, but they will also help without any tune and shouldnt throw any lights or errors.

OP
OP
JJTHESIPLANE

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The only suggestion I have if you do not want to tune is going the route of the Cobra CAI by PRL with the Street MAF. Its a bit more expensive than the MAPerf one (10 or 20 dollars at most) but you wont require a tune at all as they kept the stock fuel trims and MAF size for the street version. I also believe the 27Won CAI is ready to go without a tune also. Neither of those options should throw a light. Tunes on these will make them much better, but they will also help without any tune and shouldnt throw any lights or errors.

Thank you for your input! I was also looking at the PRL one too, I assume your talking about the SRI PRL? I am willing to spend the extra money for that one, the 27won is a little out of my price range (especially shipping to my state lol)

Maleton3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for your input! I was also looking at the PRL one too, I assume your talking about the SRI PRL? I am willing to spend the extra money for that one, the 27won is a little out of my price range (especially shipping to my state lol)
Yep meant SRI! Sorry! The MAPerf one is interesting because of where it sits, but I think it is likely better to go for the PRL SRI as it uses silicon tubing vs stainless steel which tends to affect IATs (At least according to some forum members). You can also keep the lower airbox in with the PRL SRI but I dont believe there is enough clearance to do that on the MAP one. Plus PRL Sells an SRI to CAI conversion kit so you could always upgrade to a CAI in the future if you want without buying a brand new intake. So I'd go PRL Route just for the ability to upgrade in the future for cheaper alone! Make sure to get the Street MAF housing for the SRI though, the Race Version will require a tune otherwise

OP
OP
JJTHESIPLANE

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yep meant SRI! Sorry! The MAPerf one is interesting because of where it sits, but I think it is likely better to go for the PRL SRI as it uses silicon tubing vs stainless steel which tends to affect IATs (At least according to some forum members). You can also keep the lower airbox in with the PRL SRI but I dont believe there is enough clearance to do that on the MAP one. Plus PRL Sells an SRI to CAI conversion kit so you could always upgrade to a CAI in the future if you want without buying a brand new intake. So I'd go PRL Route just for the ability to upgrade in the future for cheaper alone! Make sure to get the Street MAF housing for the SRI though, the Race Version will require a tune otherwise
No worries! haha yeah I was wondering why MAPerformance doesn't specify their's as a CAI, as it just says air intake lol. Didn't know about the lower airbox stilling being able to fit with the SRI from PRL. Is there any added benefit for the airbox to be there with the SRI??? Sorry about the multitude of questions! Appreciate your help, especially since you're on the other side of the country (Boston???), it's still morning here lol.

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what i read the MAP CAI doesnt require a tune. Only if you are on factory setup or have their stage 2 map.

OP
OP
JJTHESIPLANE

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
From what i read the MAP CAI doesnt require a tune. Only if you are on factory setup or have their stage 2 map.
"Please Note: Does not require a tune for vehicles running the factory tune or our MAP Stage 2 OTS. Tune required for all other OTS Maps."

I think I misread this quote on their website...

Maleton3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No worries! haha yeah I was wondering why MAPerformance doesn't specify their's as a CAI, as it just says air intake lol. Didn't know about the lower airbox stilling being able to fit with the SRI from PRL. Is there any added benefit for the airbox to be there with the SRI??? Sorry about the multitude of questions! Appreciate your help, especially since you're on the other side of the country (Boston???), it's still morning here lol.
Haha no problem man! Always happy to help, The benefit to keeping the lower airbox is less work you! The lower airbox on the Si can be difficult to take out unless you have small hands, wrench extensions or remove the skid plate so I always advocate for doing less work than necessary!

Jman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Good morning I purchased the 27 Won you will not need to tune your vehicle. And you get true horsepower gains which 4/5 horses I believe. Hope that helps

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"Please Note: Does not require a tune for vehicles running the factory tune or our MAP Stage 2 OTS. Tune required for all other OTS Maps."

I think I misread this quote on their website...
No worries! This is probably the CAI im going to end up purchasing but currently purchasing handling mods. I read it's one of the louder CAI's as well. Lmk how you like it and how it is in the hawaii humidity IF you end up purchasing it:thumbsup:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The Street version of the PRL Cobra CAI also does NOT require a tune.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Generally, an intake won't require a tune if the MAF sizing is similar to stock. Most intakes leverage the same size MAF housing unless specified otherwise.

kingbudd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si, 1994 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, 2016 Infiniti Q50, 2017 Cadillac XT5, and 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As someone that also lives in Hawaii, if you are looking at an intake besides 27won or PRL cai you will experience substantial heat-soak. Don’t just worry about the tune but also the IATS. Spend the extra money and buy the intake that will not negatively impact your performance!

OP
OP
JJTHESIPLANE

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As someone that also lives in Hawaii, if you are looking at an intake besides 27won or PRL cai you will experience substantial heat-soak. Don’t just worry about the tune but also the IATS. Spend the extra money and buy the intake that will not negatively impact your performance!
Hope to see you around the island one day! I live on Oahu too lol, but I've purchased the SRI from PRL... although I don't have any way to check IAT's without a tune. I know nothing about HondaHack either... :doh:

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
I dont understand why someone would run modifications on a $25k vehicle without spending $500 to get it professionally tuned.
Sponsored