Are car sales legally binding?

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought a 2020 Civic EX hatchback on Saturday. Been driving it around and loving it. Monday evening, I get a call from the sales kid. He said that the price they gave me wasn't the intended price and I need to bring in $400 before they can order the rest of my add-ons (about $4500).

Now, maybe it's just me, but once a customer and the dealer's finance department have both signed the deal, it's done, right? They gave me the keys, I gave them my trade-in keys, and we parted ways. I'd have to bring it in when they have the rest of my parts, but that's it.

I'm thinking the kid made a mistake, Finance didn't know and did the deal, but now the GM is back in the office and someone's head is gonna roll. Or the kid hasn't told the GM yet and is trying to fix it before he finds out. Either way, that $400 should not be my problem, should it?

TLDR: Dealership is trying to tell me I owe them an extra $400 because they gave me the wrong price. The contract has been signed, deal is already done though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PEPSIFLAME

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm no legal expert, but I'm pretty sure the whole point of the signed contract is to provide proof of the exact deal both parties willingly agreed to.

That's what I feel a contract is. Otherwise, why sign one? Just trying to make sure I'm not in the wrong here.

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
In Georgia a signed contract is legally binding. The dealership short changed themselves, maybe. But I don’t see how they can legally ask for more money after the fact. I’d politely inform them that the deal stays as is, or you’ll give the car back and buy elsewhere.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
You are definitely right to refuse their demand, in my opinion at least.
Also, not sure what you paid, but I'm guessing $400 is around 1.5% of what the total purchase price was for the car. Why would they make a big deal about a relatively small difference in price?

OP
OP
PEPSIFLAME

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You are definitely right to refuse their demand, in my opinion at least.
Also, not sure what you paid, but I'm guessing $400 is around 1.5% of what the total purchase price was for the car. Why would they make a big deal about a relatively small difference in price?
I'm thinking it's less percentage that that, even. I paid roughly $28k, including car, options, and a all-in-one warranty that came in at a decent price.

I'm going to the GM and telling them to either eat their $400 mistake or refund me the $4500-ish and cancel ALL my options. I'll keep the car as it sits in my driveway.

I definitely won't be recommending anyone to this dealership and they'll be getting 1 star ratings across all sites.

OP
OP
PEPSIFLAME

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In Georgia a signed contract is legally binding. The dealership short changed themselves, maybe. But I don’t see how they can legally ask for more money after the fact. I’d politely inform them that the deal stays as is, or you’ll give the car back and buy elsewhere.
I'm thinking of just cancelling ALL options and keeping it as it sits. They had to bring it in from 140 miles away so going to another dealership, they'd have to get this same car. lol

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
OP
OP
PEPSIFLAME

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Tell them to go pound sand. It'll cost them a lot more than $400 to recover the vehicle and unwind the deal.

OP
OP
PEPSIFLAME

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tell them to go pound sand. It'll cost them a lot more than $400 to recover the vehicle and unwind the deal.

Problem is I still need to deal with them to get my extra options ordered and installed. That's why I'm starting to lean towards telling them they need to cancel ALL my options and cut me a check for the difference. They either eat $400 or $4500-ish.

OP
OP
PEPSIFLAME

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whatever you do, don't give in to their $400 demand. If you do, they win and you lose.
Oh, I'm definitely not giving up any more money. It's not my fault they agreed to a deal that they didn't want to do. Someone on their side dropped the ball and should pick it up.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm no legal expert, but I'm pretty sure the whole point of the signed contract is to provide proof of the exact deal both parties willingly agreed to.
:agree:

beachesatnormandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Ive worked with dealers before and this happens quite often. The price on your contract is the price you need to pay. If they price is $400 less than what this guy is asking for, that was a screw up on their part and not your problem.

What are these 4500 worth of options they are holding over your head? Can you have them done elsewhere? We’re they included in the origin bill of sale?
Sponsored