Apple carplay on primary device and Bluetooth from another

1. Ocelot

Ocelot Senior Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Car(s):
    '16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
    I like the nav features of Apple Carplay in this 10th gen, and I miss having an aux in like my Gen 8 and 9 civic did.
    I thought an EX-T should have a sat radio option, but mine doesn't - so I purchased a car cradle/dock and use the FM modulator in the cradle to transmit to the tuner - it is staticky, regardless of what FM freq I set the modulator to transmit on I'd like something better but not less convenient.
    My cradle is powered by fuse slot #1 which goes hot when I start the car and de-energizes when I shut it off (so my cradle powers up and powers down without my intervention). I see there is a signal injector available from Siruis/XM, but it requires the sat radio to be powered up to use and negates any additional FM until you power it down.

My next idea is a Bluetooth transmitter - can I "Carplay" from one device and Bluetooth from another? (It looks like I may not be able to).

2. Design

Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
    You may be able to get it to work for a short time. But it should default to Carplay as designed. On AA, I could stream BT while running maps so I could keep full audio control (AA limits audio adjustments). But eventually it would default to the AA audio source once a nav voice (or other audio prompt) would come up.

3. Homer2556

Homer2556 Member

First Name:
    Robby
    Car(s):
    '17 Civic Touring sedan (mine), '12 Ody Touring Elite (the wife's)
    Why not just use the SXM app through CarPlay?

4. OP
    OP
    Ocelot

Ocelot Senior Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Car(s):
    '16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
    I want the sat radio for the times when I’m traveling through northern Manitoba where there are hundreds of kilometres without cellular coverage.

5. Homer2556

Homer2556 Member

First Name:
    Robby
    Car(s):
    '17 Civic Touring sedan (mine), '12 Ody Touring Elite (the wife's)
    Didn’t think about that. Living in the southern US, it’s rare to be on a major highway or interstate and not have cell service.

6. kperalta

kperalta AluminiumCivic

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic Touring
    You cannot have a Bluetooth device running with apple car play. With android auto you can use a separate audio source (besides Bluetooth) while still using it. I'd imagine its the same for car play but I can't test it.