Apple CarPlay 'No device connected' error

tophuriouss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I'm using an iPhone X on iOS 11.2.6, but for months now I have to plug and unplug my phone 8-10 times in my car. Sometimes CarPlay cuts out in the middle of driving, plays, but just a black screen, plays and says 'No Device Connected' or just takes a few tries to work in general.

For everyone having this problem PLEASE CONTACT APPLE. The more people reporting this the better. They were unaware of it, and said they would have it escalated. This problem is so annoying. Honda has replaced my infotainment center entirely and this did not help. I'm on the latest software update from Honda as well. They haven't had an update in over a year for my 2016 Civic Touring model last I checked.

I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple collecting data logs to send them. I know it's a lot of time on your part, but if anyone out there experiencing this can help get this documented so Apple and Honda can work together, it might be best for all of us out there.

My case number was 100451255660

You can ask for Matthew directly.
Phone 877-203-0418
Ext 1173628

Sunday-Thursday 11:30 AM - 8:30 PM MST
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm using an iPhone X on iOS 11.2.6, but for months now I have to plug and unplug my phone 8-10 times in my car. Sometimes CarPlay cuts out in the middle of driving, plays, but just a black screen, plays and says 'No Device Connected' or just takes a few tries to work in general.

For everyone having this problem PLEASE CONTACT APPLE. The more people reporting this the better. They were unaware of it, and said they would have it escalated. This problem is so annoying. Honda has replaced my infotainment center entirely and this did not help. I'm on the latest software update from Honda as well. They haven't had an update in over a year for my 2016 Civic Touring model last I checked.

I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple collecting data logs to send them. I know it's a lot of time on your part, but if anyone out there experiencing this can help get this documented so Apple and Honda can work together, it might be best for all of us out there.

Phone 877-203-0418
Ext 1173628

Have they replaced the USB connector?

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think many of us, me included, have had this problem for awhile. I too have a 2016 Touring, iPhone X, and am iOS 11.2.6.

My story, especially the current status of things, is a little different than yours however.

This was a huge problem (for me) when iOS 10 came out, to the point were CarPlay was unusable as it would crash with the "No Device Connected" message after about two minutes of use. I would fiddle around with things, restart things, close things, replace things, etc. and sometimes get it to work a little better but ultimately it did not work.

Fed up one day I completely erased my iPhone and started from scratch with the default settings. And much to my surprise CarPlay worked great AND was super responsive. As I added back settings and apps I kept trying it and found that it still worked...

...until I enabled my Apple Music Library.

When I did that the "No Device Connected" message came back with a vengeance. My Apple Music Library, at the time, was huge - with about 36000 songs in it. Troubleshooting this even further I started to delete / remove songs from my Apple Music Library and that seemed to make things better but not perfect.

Today, with my iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6 and an Apple Music Library currently sitting at 16,366, Apple CarPlay works great. I will still occasionally see the "No Device Connected" message but it is rare. But I have taken some long road trips and had CarPlay work flawlessly 100% of the time.

Do you have a large Apple Music Library? If so, try temporarily disabling Apple Music on your iPhone X and see what happens. Specifically, as I recall, it was the iCloud Music Library option under Music. If disabling that temporarily makes things better it is likely a similar issue that I was running into. With that said, others have reported the "No Device Connected" issue and did not use Apple Music at all so there is clearly multiple reasons one would see the "No Device Connected" message

For Apple to say they have not heard about this is crazy. I went pretty far up the support ladder myself on this and I know others have as well. Ultimately things got better for me as iOS 11 updates came out and I reduced the size of my Music Library and I didn't follow up with Apple support anymore on this.

Hope some of this helps. I feel your pain regardless but I am living proof there is some combination out there that makes CarPlay more reliable, but not perfect, than what you are describing. Good luck

mannyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda PR5
Country flag
I feel your pain! I would regularly get this message so now I kill all background apps before I plug in my lighting cable and I haven’t had the error in a few months. Give that a shot that helped for me.

XLR8TOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T coupe, '00 Trans Am 'vert, '98 Dakota R/T
Country flag
iPhone X. Ios 11.2.6. 25k plus iTunes Match library. Apple Music. I plug the phone in before I start the car and have no issues. YMMV.

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag

Phone 877-203-0418
Ext 1173628

I've posted and followed this topic quite 'religiously' for a while now as this is the SINGLE MOST FRUSTRATING THING ABOUT MY CIVIC! I'm in my car for over two hours each day and CarPlay was absolutely a selling point...but knowing how it's functioning in my Civic now, I would NOT have bought this car. It pisses me off this much. I'm a Macintosh computer tech and have tested out a bunch of options.

I agree, iCloud Music library seems to have something to do with it as with it off, I have much fewer issues, but the 'cleanliness' of the phone has nothing to do with it as I came out of the Apple Store with my '8' brand new and had issues BEFORE restoring my info back, just a brand new iPhone and the same no connection issue.

This is where I have re-newed angst. Just got back from a trip where I had a rented Ford something-or-other SUV. CarPlay worked FLAWLESSLY over and over and over - whether I left it plugged in or connected after start...IT WORKED EVERY TIME!

This is NOT an Apple thing. This is a Honda thing. My iPhone and my wifes' iPhone both act up in my 2017 Civic EX-L Hatchback, but both worked perfectly in this Ford.

...sigh...

So, I await either a firmware update that somehow fixes this, or a harness that passes thru all the functions of this HU but is connecting to a HU that actually WORKS with CarPlay...!!!

...sigh... (part 2, electric boogaloo)

milosays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Don't bother calling AppleCare to complain about CarPlay issues, they can't do much but escalate the issue, if even. The better solution i've found, is to sign up for the Beta software. BUT do NOT install the OS! When you install the beta profile, you get access to the Feedback app, which allows you to immediately send your issue, correctly classified and specifically for iOS, to the correct engineers. Sign up by going to beta.apple.com, install the profile, restart, then submit consistent and accurately detailed feedback, so we can get this problem solved! 11.3 has been a nightmare of disconnects, starting at 2 minutes after connection, then roughly every 2-5 mins after that. The only consistent solution I've found, is restart your phone, and when/if it disconnects, reconnect at the car USB port, not the lightning port.

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
Don't bother calling AppleCare to complain about CarPlay issues, they can't do much but escalate the issue, if even. The better solution i've found, is to sign up for the Beta software. BUT do NOT install the OS! When you install the beta profile, you get access to the Feedback app, which allows you to immediately send your issue, correctly classified and specifically for iOS, to the correct engineers. Sign up by going to beta.apple.com, install the profile, restart, then submit consistent and accurately detailed feedback, so we can get this problem solved! 11.3 has been a nightmare of disconnects, starting at 2 minutes after connection, then roughly every 2-5 mins after that. The only consistent solution I've found, is restart your phone, and when/if it disconnects, reconnect at the car USB port, not the lightning port.
I've yet to 11.3 my 8...now I'm less inclined...

XLR8TOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T coupe, '00 Trans Am 'vert, '98 Dakota R/T
Country flag
Yeah. Don’t do that yet if disconnects are a big deal to you.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Class action law suit anyone?
I’d start one but I have no idea how.
But all the various infortainment issues are ridiculous.
Obviously they fixed the issues these have with the accord so I’d even go for a paid upgrade if they made one. Only thing I can’t stand about my cic.

randmtsk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Type R || 2015 DGM STi - Sold || 2000 Silverstone s2000 - Sold
Country flag
I'm having the same problems with my Pixel 2 on Android Auto....although my media library is nowhere near as large as some here.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Weird, I've never had a disconnect with CarPlay with an iPhone 6s and many versions of iOS. Sounds like an issue with the USB port or the cable.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I’m using the iOS 12 beta and CarPlay is like completely unusable for me it disconnects like every three minutes prior to that though I never had an issue. I don’t mind though because I know what comes with a beta.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Is everyone's headunit the most up to date? After the F197 update on my hatchback, the ACP has been very solid on my 7Plus. I am currently using an Anker black lightning cable that has a reinforced connect ends.

Attachments

milosays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
On iOS 12 developer beta 2/PB1, the head unit will show "no device connected" each time 1) any camera is initiated, or 2) switching out of the CarPlay interface e.g. pressing Climate to adjust HVAC controls or even pressing Home. The initial developer release was unusually very stable, beta 2 broke almost everything. To resolve the disconnection issue, I usually unplug and reinsert the USB-A side of the cable into the USB port under the console. (To me, it's faster, safer, and less wear on the more important lightning port). Oh, and this is with the .197 update.
Sponsored