hondanoob87

BLP3 MOTORS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic hatchback EX
Hey all. I have a 2017 honda civic hatchback ex and i am having some major problems with the Apple carplay. I plug it in and at times 30 seconds later or 2 mins later or 15 mins later it just disconnects and i have to unplug it and plug it back in? Is anyone else having these problems? I am using an Iphone 6s Plus and it is running the current Ios.

Thoughts? solutions? share misery?
Sponsored

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Make sure you use a certified Lightning cable. Ran into this issue when I bought a cheap right-angled cable.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
This is a common problem with of the new Honda's with Infotainment (Display Audio) system. I've had the same problem with my 2016 Civic Touring sedan. Do you use Apple Music or iCloud Music Library? It's been speculated there is an issue with large music libraries that "may" be the problem. I've been back and forth with Honda since April 2016 when I got my car, two firmware updates and still no fix.

BTW, IMO, the infotainment head unit is garbage. Wish I'd gotten a vehicle that the head unit wasn't so closely tied to the vehicle controls, otherwise I'd have tossed mine in the trash and gotten a better third party unit, but sadly, none exist.

The infotainment system is the one thing I HATE about the Civic's, otherwise it's good car.

There are multiple threads on Civicx and some on Apple:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/latest-tsb-for-head-unit-update.6547/

http://www.civicx.com/threads/infotaintment-update.4458/

http://www.civicx.com/threads/service-bulletin-16-022-audio-unit-device-update.3415/

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31678162?ac_cid=op123456#31678162

Do a search on this site and you will probably find more.

MoodyBobcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX w/ Honda Sensing
iPhone 6S Plus user here with Civic Hatch EX. No issues here. Have you tried swapping out your lightning cable?

OP
OP
hondanoob87

hondanoob87

BLP3 MOTORS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
This is a common problem with of the new Honda's with Infotainment (Display Audio) system. I've had the same problem with my 2016 Civic Touring sedan. Do you use Apple Music or iCloud Music Library? It's been speculated there is an issue with large music libraries that "may" be the problem. I've been back and forth with Honda since April 2016 when I got my car, two firmware updates and still no fix.

BTW, IMO, the infotainment head unit is garbage. Wish I'd gotten a vehicle that the head unit wasn't so closely tied to the vehicle controls, otherwise I'd have tossed mine in the trash and gotten a better third party unit, but sadly, none exist.

The infotainment system is the one thing I HATE about the Civic's, otherwise it's good car.

There are multiple threads on Civicx and some on Apple:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/latest-tsb-for-head-unit-update.6547/

http://www.civicx.com/threads/infotaintment-update.4458/

http://www.civicx.com/threads/service-bulletin-16-022-audio-unit-device-update.3415/

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31678162?ac_cid=op123456#31678162

Do a search on this site and you will probably find more.
i stream with spotify but mostly use it to just talk on the phone through my car. i dont use apple music or icloud. Ill check these links out

OP
OP
hondanoob87

hondanoob87

BLP3 MOTORS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
iPhone 6S Plus user here with Civic Hatch EX. No issues here. Have you tried swapping out your lightning cable?
i have not replaced the lightening cable but i mean the fact that it works makes me think there is some kind of software issue

XLR8TOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T coupe, '00 Trans Am 'vert, '98 Dakota R/T
Country flag
I'm using an apple cable and have 24k songs in iTunes Match. Iphone7 iOS 10.3.1 and now 10.3.2. No issues. Ever.

crossont

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX
I had a similar issue with my android device. It was the phone/cable, not the software. Where plugged in my cable on my phone was very loose and any movement would cause it to disconnect from the car. It was quite frustrating. Luckily I got a new phone and haven't had that issue since.

I would definitely try using a different cable first and and even think about resetting the phone.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
To expand on the issues I've had for over a year (mentioned above in this thread), I use genuine Apple cables, have tried several, same problem. Also, I'm on my second iPhone, both the 6 plus and 7 plus, have same problem.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
A lot of technology right now is having what I call the Huawei problem, after the Nexus 6P made by Huawei were some phones are really good quality and others have lots of problems.
What set the Nexus 6 apart from traditional made in China electronics is that they weren't just made in China by a foreign company with Western QA standards, as are many electronics. They were made in China by a Chinese company with Chinese QA standards. Which means some are great but the Chinese company will cut corners in a pinch and use substandard parts and procedures if necessary to meet a production goal. It's why tech titans like Apple often have issues supplying the market with the latest product, they wait to get the best parts in the best way.
I guarantee you Honda did the same thing as Google with the Nexus 6. Who the Chinese company is, I'd love to know. So you've got the Huawei problem. You get an even distribution of great units and crap units. I can sit here all day and say how mine works great. But yours has real problems.
On a related note, just this year I've noticed an explosion of sellers on Amazon (and elsewhere) based in China, shipping from China. I've ordered from two different Chinese-based vendors. Never received either item I ordered. The first refunded, the second I am going to have to dispute through PayPal. [EDIT: after I wrote this, the second order showed up! Score one for them.]
I am to the point where I won't deal with Chinese sellers or goods anymore unless I can be reasonably sure that the only connection to China is manufacturing, and not design or parts sourcing decisions, and that a non-Chinese company is superintending the process, handling the shipping, and providing support.

Last edited:

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
cable cable cable!
The best are here, it's what I use: https://www.anker.com/products/taxons/110/Cables
Absolutely, go with Anker ! if you're going to replace the OEM apple cable the Anker is the only cable I'll trust to work properly. The aftermarket lightning cables are quite finicky. Also the only genuine apple cable I'd call genuine is the one packaged with the phone, pretty sure there's lots of cheap "genuine" counterfeits out there on amazon and eBay

I've never had a disconnect with either the iPhone SE or the 6s, using the OEM Apple cord that came packaged with the phone.

Alejoviejo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Cadillac CTS, 2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I had a similar issue with my android device. It was the phone/cable, not the software. Where plugged in my cable on my phone was very loose and any movement would cause it to disconnect from the car. It was quite frustrating. Luckily I got a new phone and haven't had that issue since.

I would definitely try using a different cable first and and even think about resetting the phone.
Same boat as you. The type C port on my G5 is the issue. Any good shake and it'll disconnect it. From the sounds of it, and with most people not having any issues, its on your end. Cable, phone, or worst comes to worst your car needs a dealer visit

M1joachim

New Honda owner!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
In addition to replacing the cable...the one time i had a problem i went into my phone settings -- car play -- and clicked "forget this car" and reset it that way, cleared up my issue.

OP
OP
hondanoob87

hondanoob87

BLP3 MOTORS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
so there was a download update for ios yesterday. After the download my carplay worked just fine. One the way to work this morning about halfway through my hour drive it disconnected again. Seems less consistent all of a sudden
Sponsored