PiRRRateJack
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘01 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe, 19’ Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Anyone else having issues with CarPlay just going black screen in the middle of usage with no response, stays “connected” after disconnecting the phone and refuses to switch to Bluetooth because “can’t connect Bluetooth while CarPlay is in use” but it blatantly isn’t?

Legit happens to me every drive. And no it’s not my phone because my CarPlay works perfectly in my Audi and my aftermarket head unit in my wife’s Mazda 3... it’s just in my CTR.

I can’t think of why the hell it keeps happening regardless of reboots of the system.

Can anyone help?
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
It’s a bad system with lots of bugs. Better hope Honda puts a premium software system into the next ctr.

OP
OP
dunphyjp

dunphyjp

PiRRRateJack
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You’re not kidding, I would have hoped for a refresh they woulda fixed this kind of BS.

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't had any issues with the carplay in my CTR. I actually find it works better than my '16 Accord did, where 50% of the time it wouldn't detect my phone when plugged in.

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The sad part about this that it's in a 2019 CTR. I stumbled upon this situation how it was in the beginning of the video. I tried connecting to Bluetooth & it would say I can't do this function. Turned my phone off, deleted my phone from the car. Turned the car back on, added my phone & it worked.

OP
OP
dunphyjp

dunphyjp

PiRRRateJack
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The sad part about this that it's in a 2019 CTR. I stumbled upon this situation how it was in the beginning of the video. I tried connecting to Bluetooth & it would say I can't do this function. Turned my phone off, deleted my phone from the car. Turned the car back on, added my phone & it worked.

I’ve done that daily for the last 2 months, works fine for about 30 minutes afterwards but if I’m doing nah and decide to answer a text it just goes “F**k that!”

OP
OP
dunphyjp

dunphyjp

PiRRRateJack
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wish :(

EAClarke

First Name
Clarke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Your headunit isn’t hacked is it? The Netflix icon threw me off, so that’s why I’m asking.

Have you tried a factory restore/reset of the headunit? If possible?

Looks like you already tried deleting from your Bluetooth and re-connecting.

I can understand the blank screen as your iPhone isn’t connected. I also see an aftermarket cable for the iPhone. I would possibly try another cable.

I thought I also read around here that someone had something plugged into the USB in the armrest area and when they unplugged it, a lot of their Bluetooth headunit issues went away.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
A hacked headunit won't do anything. I have a hacked unit and my carplay works fine most of the time. Although i will say that there are times when Spotify doesn't want to work on carplay and it can be extremely annoying.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Anyone else having issues with CarPlay just going black screen in the middle of usage with no response, stays “connected” after disconnecting the phone and refuses to switch to Bluetooth because “can’t connect Bluetooth while CarPlay is in use” but it blatantly isn’t?

Legit happens to me every drive. And no it’s not my phone because my CarPlay works perfectly in my Audi and my aftermarket head unit in my wife’s Mazda 3... it’s just in my CTR.

I can’t think of why the hell it keeps happening regardless of reboots of the system.

Can anyone help?
@dunphyjp Have you updated the firmware? There is a TSB firmware update for this exact issue... I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. It's an old one, so I'd have to dig it up, but if you search this site you should able to find it as well.

Edit: was easier to find my post on Reddit than it was on here. It is TSB 18-001 that you're looking for. The CivicX link about it is here. Hope this can help.

Edit 2: if you have jailbroken/rooted/hacked your head unit, get it back to factory defaults before attempting this. If you do not, it is possible (though unlikely) to brick your head unit.

Last edited:

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag

Can anyone help?
Jesus and you have the 2019 too, with the updated radio. Not that physical buttons should have made any difference, but that sucks, sorry to hear. What did honda say?

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
So then the question becomes I guess was he using a standard Apple cable, or a non apple cable? I actually had this issue in my benz, it would not work unless it was an apple cable for some reason or another.

B0nez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si Coupe | '08 FJ Cruiser | '05 Jeep LJ
Country flag
I had randomly clicked on this thread yesterday and read through it out of curiosity while perusing CivicX.com and was very glad I hadn't had the issue OP is having.

This morning when I hopped into the car, hooked my iOS device up the cable so I could use waze on the way to work and boom.. same problem OP was having. I started to despair then remembered this thread and EAClarke's tip about the cable. Forgot I had put a different non-Apple certified cable into the car last night, swapped in an Apple cerfified cable and had no issue at all afterwards

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Also, if you're not using the OEM apple cable try that. The moment I switched to OEM it started to work wayy better.
Sponsored