Anything I need to do with new wheels/tires?

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after three cars and I don't even know how many years of driving, I finally bought a set of aftermarket wheels (and tires). Went with these: Platinum Flux Black 18x8 wrapped in 235/40 18. I'm still on stock suspension though I may lower it at some point.

Is there anything I need to do with a new setup? I will be installing them myself, torqued to spec. Do I need an alignment or should that be held for when/if I lower? Calibrate TPMS, correct? Am I missing anything?

*EDIT* Just realized I remember reading about tuner lugs. The ones that come from Tire rack are no good?
Sponsored

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You will most likely have to recalibrate the TPMS. Other than that you will be good to go.
The lugs from Tire Rack will be fine. Honda wheels use a ball seat lug and aftermarket wheels use a taper or cone seat. This means you can't use the Honda lugs with the new wheels and vice versa.
Just retorque the lugs after you have driven around for a day or so.
Enjoy your new wheels and post up some pics!

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info! Being all but locked in my home, I'm finally doing some work on the car that I've been putting off - like getting new wheels. I also got some other goodies

This means I can wrap the OEM wheels in winter tires (even though we here in NY didn't get much snow at all this year. I think a total of 10"?).

I'll definitely post some pics when it's on.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Thanks for the info! Being all but locked in my home, I'm finally doing some work on the car that I've been putting off - like getting new wheels. I also got some other goodies

This means I can wrap the OEM wheels in winter tires (even though we here in NY didn't get much snow at all this year. I think a total of 10"?).

I'll definitely post some pics when it's on.
I like to wax them really good before I put them on that way I can get both sides of the wheel.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Not a bad idea considering it'll be the only time it'll be this clean!
Just helps with keeping them clean. Prevents tar from sticking so easily. We all know about pothole repairs up here in the northeast.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
- Get conical lug nuts
- I get hub centric ring - 64.1 is the center bore size on this car (even tho conical lugs nuts are meant to center the wheel)
- torque to 80ftlbs
- calibrate TPMS and go for a drive

Alignments aren’t necessary needed with a new tire set up, only when you mess with suspension work is it vital that you get an alignment. I would just wait till then to do an alignment once you lower the car. I got a buddy of mine that does it for $60 so I get it done yearly. Just a heads up if you lower the car and don’t want rear camber you will need a camber kit since there is no way to adjust it. I don’t have one and the camber isn’t horrible it’s barely any negative chamber tbh, but It is there. If you want a perfect alignment get the camber kit.

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
- Get conical lug nuts
- I get hub centric ring - 64.1 is the center bore size on this car (even tho conical lugs nuts are meant to center the wheel)
- torque to 80ftlbs
- calibrate TPMS and go for a drive

Alignments aren’t necessary needed with a new tire set up, only when you mess with suspension work is it vital that you get an alignment. I would just wait till then to do an alignment once you lower the car. I got a buddy of mine that does it for $60 so I get it done yearly. Just a heads up if you lower the car and don’t want rear camber you will need a camber kit since there is no way to adjust it. I don’t have one and the camber isn’t horrible it’s barely any negative chamber tbh, but It is there. If you want a perfect alignment get the camber kit.
I'm still new to aftermarket wheels so what's the deal with conical lug nuts? How are they different/better?

These wheels supposedly come with a hub centric ring (still waiting on their arrivals).

I'm almost definitely going to lower the car. Found out my cousin's friend owns a shop that does work like this. I'll definitely go for the camber kit when the time comes.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm still new to aftermarket wheels so what's the deal with conical lug nuts? How are they different/better?

These wheels supposedly come with a hub centric ring (still waiting on their arrivals).

I'm almost definitely going to lower the car. Found out my cousin's friend owns a shop that does work like this. I'll definitely go for the camber kit when the time comes.
Stock cars wheels use ball seat lug nuts and are centered on the car using the center bore of the vehicle because it was designed for that specific car. Aftermarket wheels although you may get away with using a ball seat lug but (not recommended though) aftermarket wheels are designed to use conical lug nuts. A conical lug nut is angled/tapered at a 60° angle like a cone shape, where the ball seat is curved like a ball. Aftermarket wheels are universal, unless it’s specified to be vehicle specific, that’s why they tend to have huge bore sizes like 70mm+ so that they can fix a variety of different vehicles with different center bore sizes. Conical lug nuts help in locking in the wheel to the hub and centering it on the wheel studs, but it’s not always full proof in all situations which is why I always get hub centric rings to assist the lugs nuts. That way I know for a fact the wheel is centered. A perfectly centered wheel makes the car happy and will not cause unwanted vibrations.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anything I need to do with new wheels/tires? 52B376C4-6F9B-4A15-AE08-92648B5915AD

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I'm sold. That all makes sense. Which conical lug nuts do you use or recommend?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I'm sold. That all makes sense. Which conical lug nuts do you use or recommend?
I try to go for steel ones since they’re near indestructible (but any are fine). That’s what the OEM ones are made out of. There’s a variety of different styles it’s all up to you. Just google “M12x1.5 conical lug nuts” there is a variety of styles and prices. I use these, it’s been about a year and never had an issue.
https://www.amazon.com/DPAccessories-D5246P-2308-20-12x1-5-Aftermarket/dp/B00JH1HJXE

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Got some good explanations going on here already!

However, there is more regarding interface between traditional lug nut and wheel seat lug hole - including both ball and taper seat.

Most OEM aluminum wheel lug hole seat has press fitted steel liner to prevent steel lug nut to gouge/distort soft aluminum lug hole from repeated install cycles. Where most after market aluminum wheel does not have that feature, and it certainly will damage the interface from steel lug nut regardless of type.

I ordered a set Rays CR57 and being its powder coated so I cannot verify whether it has steel liner, so to play safe, I ordered a set of Project Kics. Look it up, depends on how much you care, you might like that as well!

To respond to your original question:-
1. My Rays + Michelin PS4S combo did not trigger TPMS calibration. Due to the fact car does not use the traditional TPMS sensor.
2. As long as wheel/tire is balanced and your alignment is good, no alignment is required. But often time, brand new car can come with bad alignment, so it is better and it is rather cheap to have the peace of mind.
3. I used Kamikaze Stance Rim Coat to coat my new wheels before mounting tire and use Optimum Tire Protection and Coating to coat tire after mounted. These combo has proven on two of my cars for extended durability and good looks by simply wash, dried and walk away without redundant application of sealant and dressing and such.

Good luck.

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally going to do this tomorrow. They’ve been sitting in my shed since I got them only because I wanted to do other work first (rear bumper, front bumper, grill, lip, etc).

The wheels came with conical lug nuts (black too, it’ll match the wheels!). Might return those conical lugs I got from Amazon.

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stud clips on hubs... tire rack warns to remove these before installation of the new wheels. Like I said, this is my first set of aftermarket wheels. Do we have this on our civic x? I never noticed it (nor was I looking) when I did my tire rotations.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=315

Is this only on American vehicles so I don’t have to worry about it?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Stud clips on hubs... tire rack warns to remove these before installation of the new wheels. Like I said, this is my first set of aftermarket wheels. Do we have this on our civic x? I never noticed it (nor was I looking) when I did my tire rotations.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=315

Is this only on American vehicles so I don’t have to worry about it?
We don’t have those. Our rotors have a screw to secure them. Just mount the wheel and torque the lug nuts to spec. Don’t forget to install your hub rings
Sponsored