Anyone with deleted mufflers and/or resonators in the Bay Area?

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
As many of you know, this car is pretty quiet and I've been contemplating whether or not to chop the mufflers off as a lot of people seem to be doing so.

I was wondering if anyone who has a deleted muffler or resonator, or even both that would be up for meeting up one of these days for me to check out the sound? Coffee/drinks on me of course.
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not really helpful to what you ask in terms of riding in one. But I can tell you deleting both and make a full 3" system makes for a REALLY LOUD car....

I would not recommend it.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Can you just unbolt the muffler?

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
I’ve deleted both mufflers and both resonators. Only the resonator that was between the muffler is left on.

Sounds great!

I started out with just muffler delete and that was nice too.

Just do it and you’ll thank me later.

nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
I’ve deleted both mufflers and both resonators. Only the resonator that was between the muffler is left on.

Sounds great!

I started out with just muffler delete and that was nice too.

Just do it and you’ll thank me later.
How loud is it and how bad is the drone with both resonators deleted, I have big resonator and 2 mufflers delete and it sounds pretty awesome but still not too loud under WOT?

OP
OP
samji

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How loud is it and how bad is the drone with both resonators deleted, I have big resonator and 2 mufflers delete and it sounds pretty awesome but still not too loud under WOT?
On my S2000, I was only able to get that roaring WOT sound (volume increasing gradually) once I got rid of my cats. I had a Greddy Ti-C (dual) turbo back and with the cats, it droned like CRAZY. Removing cats is probably the only way to make a loud exhaust sound good and not drone as much.

This car already has a fair amount of NVH with the engine not having balancing shafts so any more drone on top of that would probably annoy me. I've read that removing the mid resonator makes the biggest sound difference and adds the most drone. Especially if removing both the mufflers and resonator still doesn't make any difference in WOT (Again, its probably because of cats). I'd imagine having a non-catted downpipe on our cars would open up that WOT sound.

After extensive research, I think I've settled on just removing my mufflers and leaving the large mid resonator on as I want to keep my cats (really don't want to deal with my car getting full covered in soot once I turn on the car. At least my S2000 was small so I could clean it every other week but the CTR is a pain to wash ...).

OP
OP
samji

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For anyone that's interested in this info, I'll be getting my mufflers and 1st (small) resonator removed. There's a lot of people who removed the mufflers but kept resonators (sort of quiet sounding), and people who just remove resonators (makes it sound more boomy but not really louder), or removing both mufflers and all resonators.

I don't think I've come across anyone who's only kept the middle large resonator. I'm hoping the sound is going to be somewhere in between full removing all mufflers and resonators and removing just the mufflers.

I can post a video later if someone is interested.

OP
OP
samji

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Quick update,

Just picked up the car from the shop and it sounded great initially but after driving it back to work, I realized there's a lot more drone than I previously had thought. Taking the smaller resonator and leaving the bigger one on didn't make that big of a difference. I think it sounds closer to type R's that had the mufflers and both the resonators (excluding the middle one between the mufflers) removed.

I went inside a parking garage and it's definitely way too loud for that. Just driving and shifting at 2k RPM was enough to set aftermarket alarms off but not OEM ones.

In conclusion, that small resonator makes a pretty big difference in sound. I almost think the smaller one makes a bigger difference than the larger one in the middle. I'm most likely going to be going back to put the small resonator back on. But going to drive around like this for a few days to see if my ears get used to it.

I'll take a video later today, if not tomorrow during the day when there's light out (i'll be at work until it gets dark usually).

nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
Quick update,

Just picked up the car from the shop and it sounded great initially but after driving it back to work, I realized there's a lot more drone than I previously had thought. Taking the smaller resonator and leaving the bigger one on didn't make that big of a difference. I think it sounds closer to type R's that had the mufflers and both the resonators (excluding the middle one between the mufflers) removed.

I went inside a parking garage and it's definitely way too loud for that. Just driving and shifting at 2k RPM was enough to set aftermarket alarms off but not OEM ones.

In conclusion, that small resonator makes a pretty big difference in sound. I almost think the smaller one makes a bigger difference than the larger one in the middle. I'm most likely going to be going back to put the small resonator back on. But going to drive around like this for a few days to see if my ears get used to it.

I'll take a video later today, if not tomorrow during the day when there's light out (i'll be at work until it gets dark usually).

I had mufflers and big resonator removed and I felt like that first couple of days just because stock exhaust was way to quite. Give it couple days and you will probably not notice drone that much , and once you learn how to drive it in certain rpm range and how to play with throttle you will learn how to make it less droneish lol It will still drone but not as bad, for example doing 75-80 on highway music up to 14-15 and I don't hear the exhaust at all. Also I love how it sounds at WOT with the suction noise and how gurgles when upshifting, but for my taste could of been a bit more louder at WOT and a little bit less loud lower speeds and less throttle , but hey this was way cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust and it doesn't actually sound bad so I will take it until I pull the trigger and spend some money on a nice exhaust/downpipe setup. Until then still having much more fun than stock exhaust which was pretty boring, nice sounding but way to quiet for this car.
Sponsored