Anyone using the SAE recommended mirror settings?

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just adjusted my mirrors this morning using the SAE recommended settings, and while it did seem to provide a more panoramic view, I don't know if I can adjust to it after 20+ years of using my mirrors in the conventional way. Anyone else doing it the SAE way?
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone using the SAE recommended mirror settings? how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots-graphic-photo-323365-s-original
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've done it this way for many years. AAA recommended this going way back. It's worth getting used to as it's saved my ass a few times changing lanes on the highway (it almost totally reduces the blind spot).

Hopefully, this video will help people set their mirrors properly...

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice PSA y'all

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I'm gonna try that. Although I do like to see my wing tips through my side views.
BTW nice shirt

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I've done it this way for many years.

It is the only and best way I found. I never heard it was a recommended setting.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I tried it this morning, and didn't like it. Don't get me wrong though, I see its purpose and furthermore will advocate for/suggest it to others. I just can't put it into practice myself.

It wasn't a matter of "getting used to it," it's that I guess we're playing under the assumption that you will now be looking into your center and left mirrors if you want to turn left, and for me that is a really strange eye shift. I suffer from PCS (post-concussion syndrome) of the last four years, and I get terrible eye strain from rapid movement or looking into my peripheries.

Although a hazard when it comes to looking away from what's ahead of you, I prefer the slight head turns from left rear view mirror to my blind spot to see what's there. Probably not safest, but the most convenient for my tastes.

I also like seeing part of my vehicle as a reference point, but I suppose that's the part that takes "getting used to."

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I've done this since I started driving, 34 years. Was taught by my father who was a Police Officer. Really helps with blindspots.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
That's why there's Blind Spot monitors now.. remove the skills from the people and make them rely on machines instead. Skynet is coming to fuition! lol

That said, I don't. I still want to see a slim part of my car in my mirrors and crane my neck. My "other" car only has one interior and 1 side mirror.. so its just habit to use mirrors, but look as well before changing lanes.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
I tried this year's ago I didn't like it. I had to readjust my mirrors to drive in reverse and I felt like it made more blindspots. I look over my shoulder and check blindspots. I also move my head when I check the mirror to get different views.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup, that was the way I was taught at a high performance driving school back in the early '90s. It really helps a lot for your situational awareness and makes blind-spot monitoring systems largely redundant.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I adjusted the mirrors like that and it has been 6 months now and I will never going back. No car can leave my eye sight with this setup haha.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
It’s how my driving school way back in, holy crap 1992!, taught me how to set my mirrors and I’ve been using it since.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Changed over to this about seven years ago. After about forty years of driving. It took me three or four days to get used to it but I would never go back to the old way now.

Yes, I still double check by looking over my shoulder, but I really like the tactical advantage the SAE mirror adjustment gives me.
Sponsored