Anyone try the new GUI one-click-root version of "Honda Hack?"

ramnkc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Codeage posted it on XDA a couple weeks ago. I'm too chickensh*t to try it, but it sure looks interesting ...
I tried that couple weeks back and its working fine... but my HU andorid version is on 4.2 so i'm not sure it will work on all variant...

NASA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yep, super easy. Downloaded from the computer thru USB-USB. Everything else can be on the HU with wifi. Now I got waze, spotify, chrome, offline maps, etc..

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, super easy. Downloaded from the computer thru USB-USB. Everything else can be on the HU with wifi. Now I got waze, spotify, chrome, offline maps, etc..
Have you tried to set up a wireless hotspot with your phone so you don't have to plug it into the vehicle for an internet connection (Android Auto/Carplay)

NASA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Have you tried to set up a wireless hotspot with your phone so you don't have to plug it into the vehicle for an internet connection (Android Auto/Carplay)
Yep, I use the hotspot on my phone wirelessly, with my data plan I have 10GB for free it's been about a week of using and I've used 1GB so far. It's a bit annoying at least with iPhone because you have to turn on hotspot from the control center every time you use your car, but the car will auto-connect to your hotspot. It uses the GPS from your car for maps, of course all models have GPS in the HU.

Reuuk

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, '83 Datsun 280ZX
Yep, I use the hotspot on my phone wirelessly, with my data plan I have 10GB for free it's been about a week of using and I've used 1GB so far. It's a bit annoying at least with iPhone because you have to turn on hotspot from the control center every time you use your car, but the car will auto-connect to your hotspot. It uses the GPS from your car for maps, of course all models have GPS in the HU.
Wait, can you just connect your head unit to the phone via your phone's hotspot to get android auto to work wirelessly? Is it seriously that simple?

enishi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sedan ext
Country flag
Worked perfectly for me but of course I rooted it long time ago. I bought the pro version and use the auto app launch after booting. It works most of the time. If you install apkpure the app, it would download the right app version (at least for moboplayer because I have been wanting to update it).

I don't think it works on the latest headunit. Probably late 2017 models to current.

I have an rooted iPhone and tried to use activator to toggle the hotspot but it hasn't been working well. It works but not as well as android.

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
so far installed waze, amazon music, outlook, msn weather. couldn't install Tidal, yelp, youtube.

OP
OP
baldheadracing

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The thing that would make me try this is if the head unit would connect to a Bluetooth OBD dongle and then I could run Torque, or Track Addict, etc. on the head unit.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
I'm assuming you still need USB to USB for laptop connection. Do you use the port in the center console or the one in the cubby behind the screen?