FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
The deal seemed to me that the OP was not happy with the color and was musing about trading for a different color. Some turned it into the knob/e-brake light/etc slam-fest...which the OP never mentioned as issues. I, personally, would not trade a one year old car because of color, but if someone else wants to and can...more power to them.

I agree the Type R appears to be a purpose built vehicle and creature comforts cannot always be expected in such a design as it is definitely "not your father's Oldsmobile"(or Honda), but that could be a different thread.

Anyway, no harm no foul.

:grouphug:
It’s me being a Honda purist. I appreciate Honda hasn’t watered down the Type R with the amenities or an automatic. I love manuals and love how they only offer the performance trims in manual.
Sponsored

OP
OP

rohnin

First Name
Iris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
When I bought the car I have to admit I knew nothing about it. I was looking for a Civic with all the options (Honda Sensing, etc.) but sportier. Then I noticed the Type R, and yes I was dumb and didn’t realize it comes with nothing, but it really stands out. Then, getting a deal was a real PITA so I just bought a car from the first dealer that took my offer - they only had a PMM in stock.

Anyway, I’m not going to do it. Unless there is a 2019.5 with Honda Sensing and heated seats or something lol. I would trade some horsepower for that

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I bought the car I have to admit I knew nothing about it. I was looking for a Civic with all the options (Honda Sensing, etc.) but sportier. Then I noticed the Type R, and yes I was dumb and didn’t realize it comes with nothing, but it really stands out. Then, getting a deal was a real PITA so I just bought a car from the first dealer that took my offer - they only had a PMM in stock.

Anyway, I’m not going to do it. Unless there is a 2019.5 with Honda Sensing and heated seats or something lol. I would trade some horsepower for that
All good! If you must have those options then go for it but I think you’d miss the fun of the car. Do what makes you happy, a car should be an enjoyable experience with no regrets.

milw27

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grey
Country flag
I’m trading my 2017 for a 2019. I committed to it right after picking up my 2017 last year. I felt for the small difference I’d get a fresh 3 year warranty and benefit from some of the small updates. At this point I wished I hadn’t for the hassle of selling my car but it’s done.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Why all the fuss, it’s America the home of instant gratification,the OP hailing from California no less LOL

Si-Dijk

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Not sure why everyone has their panties in a bunch. Them whining about people whining about the lack of a volume knob is worse than people complaining about the lack of a volume knob. Goodness.

There actually some validity to this strategy with rare/hard to get cars in specific trim levels. Three years ago my brother bought a Toyota 4runner TRD Pro and paid MSRP. The following year he traded it in with 10k miles for $1,000 less than he bought it for (which is crazy how little it cost him to own a brand new vehicle). He traded it in for a Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro which he just totaled and the insurance paid him just a little bit under what he paid for the vehicle.

Right now I see used CTR's advertised from 35.5k to 39k. Meanwhile there are brand new ones advertised for 36k! The point is, there is the potential to spend little to no money trading up one year. If you found the right dealer, you could probably spend as little as $1-3k, which could be worth it if you want a new color too. The main problem will be finding a dealer with a CTR he is willing to sell at a reasonable price.

But seriously if y'all don't have something productive to say just go waste your time elsewhere.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Not sure why everyone has their panties in a bunch. Them whining about people whining about the lack of a volume knob is worse than people complaining about the lack of a volume knob. Goodness.

There actually some validity to this strategy with rare/hard to get cars in specific trim levels. Three years ago my brother bought a Toyota 4runner TRD Pro and paid MSRP. The following year he traded it in with 10k miles for $1,000 less than he bought it for (which is crazy how little it cost him to own a brand new vehicle). He traded it in for a Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro which he just totaled and the insurance paid him just a little bit under what he paid for the vehicle.

Right now I see used CTR's advertised from 35.5k to 39k. Meanwhile there are brand new ones advertised for 36k! The point is, there is the potential to spend little to no money trading up one year. If you found the right dealer, you could probably spend as little as $1-3k, which could be worth it if you want a new color too. The main problem will be finding a dealer with a CTR he is willing to sell at a reasonable price.

But seriously if y'all don't have something productive to say just go waste your time elsewhere.
4 posts and he’s instructing people on this forum what to do

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
it wold honestly probably be cheaper to repaint the car then the loss you will take and then you can have any color you want or even wrap the car im sure would be cheaper then the loss on trade.

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
it wold honestly probably be cheaper to repaint the car then the loss you will take and then you can have any color you want or even wrap the car im sure would be cheaper then the loss on trade.
That’s an interesting idea. Possibly could end up with a much better quality paint job in the process?

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You'd have to strip the car down to the frame for it to be a proper paint job, that's going to be about $10K. No one in their right mind would throw a janky paint job on a new car.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
You'd have to strip the car down to the frame for it to be a proper paint job, that's going to be about $10K. No one in their right mind would throw a janky paint job on a new car.
Just an option. Wraps are cheaper and any color ya want.

MajorityMugen

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Mugen '90 CRX Si
The first FK8 I drove was due to a seller with 700 miles wanting to dump a 2017 PMM.... he bought the first one he could and regretted it because the color was boring in his opinion... What's the big deal?

Sort of disgusted by many of the comments/replies in this thread...

I don't wish to add anything else crass to the discussion but it says a lot about a significant portion of the CTR buyer type.

#backtolurking

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Other than the volume knob, is there any actual difference between the head units? Is the 2019 version faster in any way?

glsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si
Country flag
I thought about looking into what it would cost to trade my new (2000 mi) 2018 EX-T Coupe for a 2019 when it was announced with all the tech enhancements like my wife's 2018 CR-V has. I didn't do it, though, when I discovered that the 2019 EX-T didn't come with a manual transmission.

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Other than the volume knob, is there any actual difference between the head units? Is the 2019 version faster in any way?
Per Car and Driver:
As in other 2019 Civic models, the biggest change inside is a new infotainment system that continues to use a touchscreen but also now incorporates a physical volume knob and hard buttons that should improve its operation. Previously, all Type R models came with a frustrating button-free interface with finicky touch-sensitive buttons and sliders. Honda also says it has increased the size of the cupholders, simplified the steering-wheel controls, and added buttons for fan speed to the climate controls.

There are no changes to the Type R's dynamite powertrain, a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine making 306 horsepower and feeding that to the one transmission choice, a six-speed manual.
Regardless, the minor updates for 2019 weren't OP's reason for wanting to trade up:
I asked my dealer before I posted this question, because they didn’t have an answer for me (no stock). I just want to change the color, PMM is a bit boring for me.
Sponsored