Anyone pony up for ceramic coating after purchase?

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well clearly I expected more than I should have. That's not really a slight against coatings. Ultimately you're right... the car definitely still needs to be hand washed. Ceramic pro 9H gold package (4 coats ceramic).

In my defense (and a lot of others)- there is a TON of anecdotal testimony out there that suggests the car becomes so intensely hydrophobic after a ceramic coating that any contaminants will slide right off the paint in a rain storm or under a hose. I've come to discover that's definitely not the case.
And unfortunately the brand you decided to go with is one of the worst offenders when it comes to providing highly inaccurate information to people. You should also probably take a closer look at your warranty, as you likely have already voided it anyways. It clearly states that the vehicle must be properly maintained (i.e. washed). Coatings are great as they require little effort to clean the vehicle, but it does require actually washing it. I have been applying coatings for nearly 5 years (long before the current craze started) and the key has always been to properly educate clients on what they are getting and what they are going to need to do to keep it nice.
Sponsored

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
And unfortunately the brand you decided to go with is one of the worst offenders when it comes to providing highly inaccurate information to people. You should also probably take a closer look at your warranty, as you likely have already voided it anyways. It clearly states that the vehicle must be properly maintained (i.e. washed). Coatings are great as they require little effort to clean the vehicle, but it does require actually washing it. I have been applying coatings for nearly 5 years (long before the current craze started) and the key has always been to properly educate clients on what they are getting and what they are going to need to do to keep it nice.
While i'm not overly concerned about the warranty aspect, I would contend that washing it with a nozzle at the wash rack constitutes washing/cleaning/maintaining. I have made sure to promptly remove any foreign debris like road gum on my rocker panel, bird droppings, wet leaves etc.

I'm sure the paint is 100% fine under a very slight layer of grime. Again, I've soaked & soaped it up, pressure washed it off and blown-dry the water droplets. Yes, I certainly need to do a careful 2-bucket wash but so far I think i'm good.

My only commentary for this thread was that I over-estimated just how good the ceramic coating is. I agree with you as far as the coating reducing the overall effort to maintain. But, for those who think it's the end all be all... caveat emptor.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Well clearly I expected more than I should have. That's not really a slight against coatings. Ultimately you're right... the car definitely still needs to be hand washed. Ceramic pro 9H gold package (4 coats ceramic).

In my defense (and a lot of others)- there is a TON of anecdotal testimony out there that suggests the car becomes so intensely hydrophobic after a ceramic coating that any contaminants will slide right off the paint in a rain storm or under a hose. I've come to discover that's not reality.
Coating is a serious commitment. You ABSOLUTELY have to keep up with maintenance washes performed on a regular basis. Keep in mind, that good quality products along with correct techniques are to be utilized. And going 2 months in between washes is waaaaaaay to long. 2weeks, 3 max (at least that's what I go by).

For me, I've done it myslef including paint correction, and I think it's the best decision ever. Car always looks great and soooo easy to wash. but, there's always a tradeoff, which in this case is washing regimen that needs to be followed.

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
Country flag
I may thry this as cheap alternative:
TopCoat® F11® Polish & Sealer - Web Special Kits
Price: $59.97

While I want that glossy glass shine, I need the protection from rock chips etc as that was an issue with my 08 SI. So at min I am looking at a film at least on bumper and hood.
Does anyone have any recommendations/referrals in norcal bay area?
The only probem is the supposedly discoloration difference between filmed vs not filmed areas on body. dealer applied a Perma plate selant on mine so I may only need a ceramic or just use the topcoat for now.
Although I believe Matt auto-U-tuber had his bullit ceramic coated and filmed on front end and hood. The difference seems to be he had it filmed 1st then coated if not mistaken.

Your guy's thoughts recommendations?

ref:
" Paint protective film topped with Gtechniq Crystal Serum. The PPF is a clear bra that will help protect the paint and the Crystal Serum Ceramic coating will help protect both the film and paint. The Ceramic coating will create a super hydrophobic surface which will help prevent dirt and water minerals etc from sticking to it. Yes you can put wax on top of just about any coating. However most don't see it necessary. "

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I may thry this as cheap alternative:
TopCoat® F11® Polish & Sealer - Web Special Kits
Price: $59.97

While I want that glossy glass shine, I need the protection from rock chips etc as that was an issue with my 08 SI. So at min I am looking at a film at least on bumper and hood.
Does anyone have any recommendations/referrals in norcal bay area?
The only probem is the supposedly discoloration difference between filmed vs not filmed areas on body. dealer applied a Perma plate selant on mine so I may only need a ceramic or just use the topcoat for now.
Although I believe Matt auto-U-tuber had his bullit ceramic coated and filmed on front end and hood. The difference seems to be he had it filmed 1st then coated if not mistaken.

Your guy's thoughts recommendations?

ref:
" Paint protective film topped with Gtechniq Crystal Serum. The PPF is a clear bra that will help protect the paint and the Crystal Serum Ceramic coating will help protect both the film and paint. The Ceramic coating will create a super hydrophobic surface which will help prevent dirt and water minerals etc from sticking to it. Yes you can put wax on top of just about any coating. However most don't see it necessary. "
Top coat is junk. Forget about it. I’ve seen their ad on FB and reported it as a scam multiple times

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Top coat is junk. Forget about it. I’ve seen their ad on FB and reported it as a scam multiple times
Sorry so just wondering what is the downside with topcoat? What do you find it lacks? What would you recommend as better application? What has been your best experience?
Thanks by the way.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Sorry so just wondering what is the downside with topcoat? What do you find it lacks? What would you recommend as better application? What has been your best experience?
Thanks by the way.
Just look at the ad itself: they tell you rub dirty car with the rag with some of this stuff sprayed over it. You’ll scratch and mar the crap out of the surface. Shit in the bottle they sell is a quick detailer at the very best and has nothing to do with coatings.

If you want the paint to be protected from the rock chips you’d need to PPF the car, then put ceramic coating on top. But that can easily be 2K+ or even more.

Personally, i corrected the paint on my car myself and use CQ UK by carpro -amazing shine, whater beads and sheets off like crazy. But there’s a downside to it - meticulous maintenance and bi-weekly washes are a must( hand washes obviously with top products). Decide for yourself if you want to go that route

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for saving me from ruining my new CTR.
Yep 1 of 2 shops quoted me about $3k for PPF and ceramic coat. 1 of them said the soonest they can get me in was in Apr '19; ouch might have to wait 4 months.
So I'm looking for any other that can do job sooner before I drive more especially any longer drives than local errands around home. I usually clean the car(s) evey other week anyway so I'm fine with the maintenance.
Thanks again for your advice.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Thanks for saving me from ruining my new CTR.
Yep 1 of 2 shops quoted me about $3k for PPF and ceramic coat. 1 of them said the soonest they can get me in was in Apr '19; ouch might have to wait 4 months.
So I'm looking for any other that can do job sooner before I drive more especially any longer drives than local errands around home. I usually clean the car(s) evey other week anyway so I'm fine with the maintenance.
Thanks again for your advice.
Well, if i were you and had CTR and drove it daily, i’d have at least front end PPFed. Paint on the these civic chips sooooo easy, I cringe every time i wash as i discover more chips (i do fair amount of hoghwat driving in houston with tons of debris on the roads). But, please, make sure you do your home work and and look for.a reputable shop to do the job. The best way is to register on autogeek forum and post asking for detailer/PPF professional in your area. There are a lot of highly skilled detailera post there so they will guide you in a right direction. Just take it easy and don’t rush making decisions (don’t ask me how i know lol)

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You don't need ceramic coat on top of ppf. A decent sealant is all you really need. The PPF does all the protecting anyways. The sealant just makes it easier to wash.

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I first used on my C6 Corvette and motorcycle 5 years ago and since enjoyed the benefits of modern glass coating on my toys and DD.

Previous, as well as recent coating were DIY. Process is simple, but time consuming. Took me 3 days to complete each car and 2 leisure days on motorcycle.

My recent July purchase on an '18 Sport Hatchback MT as well as re-coating my C6 Corvette were treated with full complement of Kamakazi products on exterior paint, trims and wheels.

Car washing/drying process(pressure washer, foam cannon, Master Blaster for no touch drying etc.) remained same, not any simpler. One major thing that changed after coating is I no longer have to spend a whole day to follow up with periodic and time consuming polishing and reapply top sealer throughout the year to maintain/protect painted and trim surface. Additional benefit is plastic/rubber trim no longer fade from exposure, all without applying sealant/protectant as well.

My take on life after ceramic coating is more time to enjoy my cars and motorcycle along with a whole lot less labor intensive maintenance.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Coating is a serious commitment. You ABSOLUTELY have to keep up with maintenance washes performed on a regular basis. Keep in mind, that good quality products along with correct techniques are to be utilized. And going 2 months in between washes is waaaaaaay to long. 2weeks, 3 max (at least that's what I go by).

For me, I've done it myslef including paint correction, and I think it's the best decision ever. Car always looks great and soooo easy to wash. but, there's always a tradeoff, which in this case is washing regimen that needs to be followed.
Ew there are people who go months without washing their car??? I can understand if you’re in a snowy area during the winter but omg I can barely go 2-3 weeks without wanting to scratch my eyeballs out!

I just need to find a more efficient or faster way of washing my car though. Anyone use pressure washers?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Mine is ceramic pro coated and I use mostly those coin pressure washers. I first use the soap cycle, rub down with my wash mit, then I rinse it with the pressure. For drying I use that Absorber cloth and finish off with plush microfibre towels. The car is still scratch and swirl free one year after coating and paint looks to be in car show condition.
One thing I just can't understand is why the rear of the car picks up an extreme amount of dirt and spray during rain drives, while the rest of the car is relatively clean? Could it be the cars aerodynamics and or wing causing it? No other car i've had gets this dirty in behind

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine is ceramic pro coated and I use mostly those coin pressure washers. I first use the soap cycle, rub down with my wash mit, then I rinse it with the pressure. For drying I use that Absorber cloth and finish off with plush microfibre towels. The car is still scratch and swirl free one year after coating and paint looks to be in car show condition.
One thing I just can't understand is why the rear of the car picks up an extreme amount of dirt and spray during rain drives, while the rest of the car is relatively clean? Could it be the cars aerodynamics and or wing causing it? No other car i've had gets this dirty in behind
Are you tuned by chance? I thought my rear got excessively muddy as well but a friend who is an auto technician pointed out it wasn't actually dirt and was most likely from running a bit richer on fuel or something to that effect.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
I had a shop here do mine. After having my camaro ceramic coated i think ill do this one every car i own! Not to mention the awesome paint correction he did before going the car. Not sure what scratch omatic the dealer ran mine through but she needed some help.

I had modesta ceramic coating done on the type r! Love it, car is so east to maintain!
Sponsored